1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Ting will offer GSM service (in addition to CDMA) starting February 2015

Discussion in 'Ting' started by kate, Dec 9, 2014.

1. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.
    Moderator Thread Starter

In a recent blog post Ting announced they will start offering service on both GSM and CDMA networks starting in February 2015. :) They'll continue using the Sprint CDMA network, and based on the GSM coverage map they will be using T-Mobile for GSM with voice & text roaming on AT&T.

You'll be able to use CDMA and GSM phones on the same account and combine usage if you have multiple people/phones. Looks like most unlocked GSM phones will work, T-Mobile phones wont need unlocking, but AT&T phones will. Some newer Verizon phones will also work. Ting has a page to check your phone here for BYOD availability. Here's a GSM FAQ page, and a GSM compatibility/unlocking guide.

If you're switching to Ting:
    1. They will pay a portion of your ETF if you're in a contract - 25% up to $75 of your Early Termination Fee.

2. You can also use this referral to save $25 when you join. :)

Advertisement

2. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Android Expert
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    Well, shazbot - someone actually took my advice.

3. jae_63

jae_63 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    This could be really awesome. I especially like how my family could (apparently) use a mixture of GSM and CDMA devices. Now if someone would just sell a newer Android phone with a hardware keyboard, for either GSM or CDMA. My Motorola Photon Q (on Ting, of course!) is getting long-in-the-tooth, but I refuse to give it up.

4. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Android Expert
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    For better or for worst physical keyboards have gone the way of the Dodo. However a Google search did find the LG Optimus F3Q. Pretty much everything else is a Blackberry.

On the other hand - even my wife has made the move to a virtual keyboard thanks to larger screen sizes and apps like Swiftkey. If she can be okay with it - any one can.

jae_63 likes this.
  5. kate

Moderator Thread Starter

Besides the LG Optimus F3Q mentioned above, the only other recent 2012+ physical keyboard phones I could find that would work is the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G from T-Mobile, and the NEC Terrain from AT&T (but it's specs are not that good).

I'd also recommend trying a virtual keyboard - test out a friends or one at a phone store, they are easy to get used to :)

6. Stomata

Stomata Newbie
    None

Oct 13, 2014
    +1 for the Photon Q! Nothing seems to have come close since then in terms of QWERTY phones.
    Unfortunately it looks like they're not coming back :-(

7. kate

Moderator Thread Starter

Just an update: As of today you can get a GSM SIM card from Ting and use their GSM service.

8. mat Sam

mat Sam Lurker
    None

Mar 12, 2015
    I just ordered a gsm sim. keeping my fingers crossed.
    If anybody is interested in a referral link for $25 off your phone purchase or $25 bill credit, you can use mine. You have to either click on the link or paste the link in your browser and continue your shopping from there, for this to work.
    https://zi62hl3t54a.ting.com/

#8 mat Sam, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015