• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [TIP] Easy Data Throttle Disabling For Stock & Stock Based Roms

The~Skater~187

Android Expert
Oct 20, 2011
Connecticut
I came across this and it seems to work. So, I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Disclaimer:
I cannot be held responsible for what YOU do to YOUR phone. With that said let's start!

(FYI: I use Root Explorer for this)

1. Preform a CWM Backup if you do not have one already :)
2. Make sure you are in WiFi or Airplane mode, or are not connected to 3G
3. Open root explorer and navigate to '/data/system/'
4. Find the 'throttle' folder and change the folder permissions to 'Owner:' 'Read' and 'Execute' only. (r-x------)
5. Open up the 'throttle' folder, you should have 2 files in here, one is 'temp' and the other is something like '-1226839461'. Backup these files to your SD card in case you have problems.
6. DELETE both files in the 'throttle' folder.
7. Clear Dalvik Cache
8. Reboot.

Original Thread Found Here:
[Q] Data Throttle Removal? [Archive] - xda-developers

Just got done with the procedure here. Thanks alot, I posted my dealings with Boost cust serv today which made me worse than I was......this did help slightly in the minute I checked it but its storming here and will check again in the A.M.

Update in the A.M.

I have seen an increase. Yesterday was consistant under 100K down. Today I am seeing 200 and up to about 400s. I am going to try other prls with this non-throttle....

Upvote 0
made this a cwm script. just flash it. if throttle is there it will get cleared and locked. if it's not there, it will just place the lock.

deThrottle.zip

you're free to take it and use as you like.

Thanks inigo. I was trying to do something like this, but couldnt get it to work right. I was having permission issues.

Upvote 0
It's recommended

Noooooo! DC
Mine came back!
And with a vengeance!
Maybe its cause earlier i had pulled out the battery... Idk.
But i was tethering along.. thether tether.. tether..
When all of a sudden my interwebs hit a throttle.
And everything slowed down.
It all went horribly wrong..
So after the tether i decided to check.
/data/system/throttle
And the -219037 (made the numbers up) and the other file were back.
IM in stock ROM. XP
Fe16 rooted normal kernel.

Upvote 0
Noooooo! DC
Mine came back!
And with a vengeance!
Maybe its cause earlier i had pulled out the battery... Idk.
But i was tethering along.. thether tether.. tether..
When all of a sudden my interwebs hit a throttle.
And everything slowed down.
It all went horribly wrong..
So after the tether i decided to check.
/data/system/throttle
And the -219037 (made the numbers up) and the other file were back.
IM in stock ROM. XP
Fe16 rooted normal kernel.

That's because sprint throttles on their end. Disabling it on the phone just saves a bit of memory

Upvote 0
Does that mean it is unsafe to abuse this exploit? only use it in moderation would you say?
Also, would you be interested in getting this done on the newly rooted Galaxy rush? it's known as the prevail2
This mod is safe to use at all times. It just means that it doesn't make too much of a difference, since sprint throttles at the server.
I do not own a Rush. So that would be hard for me to do.

Upvote 0
hi i have tried everything you guys said i changed the permisions deleted both files and they come back every time i do and the internet feels the same i tride the script after reboot they come back and the internet the same no change i was playing with the files then i change the permisions on both files inside trottle and the trottle folder also and i left alone the one that says temp and i opend the text editor and changed some numbers in the script and now im getting like around 2000kbps max not less then 700kbps most of the time i get 1000 1200kbps and the files have not returned back to normal like they were
yet after one week. before this i was getting no more then 500kbps most of the time 150kbps i tride this several times from 200kbps after doing that to my phone bam 1500kbps havent lost eny speed in this whole week

Upvote 0
I can confirm that this works with the K2_CL HTC One SV (Boost Mobile) device. However, I recommend deleting the files and removing write, read and execute permissions from the throttle folder. When your 2.5 is reached you can log in to your Boost account and check your data usage. You will see you have exceeded the allotted amount yet beside it will say (throttle: no).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones