1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [TIP] [FROYO] How to change Carrier Name

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mantera, Sep 20, 2011.

1. mantera

mantera Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2011
    Here's how to change the carrier name in the Triumph. I ran across this while looking for some other strings.

You will need to decompile framework-res.apk, make your changes, and then recompile it. If you don't know how to decompile the file, I recommend that you read this great thread on XDA written by KBanause; he gives you links to the tools (including apkmanager) that you will need as well as walking you through making theming edits:

xda-developers - View Single Post - [TUTORIAL] Where to find the colors for making a theme

The steps below will assume that you are using apkmanager:

1. Decompile framework-res.apk using apkmanager.
    1a. To do that, place the framework-res.apk file into the place-apk-here-for-modding folder.
    1b. Start apkmanager. In Windows, double-click on the script.bat file in the main apkmanager folder. I'm not sure what you would type to start apkmanager in another OS since I haven't used this in any other OS at this time.
    1c. In APKMANAGER, hit 22 and select the number for your framework-res.apk file -- if it is the only file in the place-apk-here-for-modding folder, it should be 1.
    1d. Back on the main menu, select 9 to decompile framework-res.apk.

2. Once, the decompile is complete, browse to the projects folder in apkmanager and you should now have a new folder inside named framework-res.apk. Look inside the framework-res.apk folder and you should now be able to find the subfolder \res\values . This folder ONLY shows up if you decompile framework-res.apk.

3. Find strings.xml in that folder and open it in a text editor such as notepad++ or such. I don't recommend using the built-in Notepad in windows.

4. Find the line:

<string name="roamingText1">Virgin Mobile</string>

Change the "Virgin Mobile" to whatever you want. For example, changing this to:

<string name="roamingText1">Save the tatas</string>

5. After making your changes, recompile framework-res.apk.
    5a. In apkmanager, use option 11 to recompile.
    5b. When asked if this is a system file, select Yes.
    5c. When asked if you want to copy over additional files, click Yes and it will extract the files into a folder named Keep in apkmanager and then pause.
    5d. Go into the Keep folder and delete any files that you changed, in this case you only need to delete the resources.arsc since the only thing you changed was the strings.xml file.
    5d. Back on the apkmanager screen, hit the space bar or Enter to continue.
    5e. A file named unsignedframework-res.apk will be created in the place-apk-here-for-modding folder. You'll need to rename it back to framework-res.apk.

6. Either adb push the new framework-res.apk back into your phone or put it in a flashable Zip file and flash it in recovery.
    6a. For anyone wanting to put their new file into a flashable zip, I've attached an empty Zip file in this thread. Add your new framework-res.apk file into the \system\framework folder. Make sure that you have your Zip utility set to just use the Store or No Compression method. You do not need to change anything in the META-INF folder for just this simple flash. Note: The updater script is mounting the file system as ext3 so I don't know if it will work ok for anyone that has their file system formatted to ext 4.

This results in the changes on the lockscreen and the extended status screen.

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. Austrie

Austrie Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2011
    Male
    St.Thomas, US Virgin Islands
    Ok, going to give you a tip. To see the values folder you have to decompile the framework apk and after your done changing what you want too change you have to recompile the apk.....

3. b_randon14

b_randon14 Android Expert
    None

Aug 13, 2011
    Pizza Delivery Driver
    Somerset, KY
    Yeah that should almost be a given thought to anyone who has themed before! :) Nice work man!

4. mantera

mantera Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2011
    Perhaps I misunderstood you... Are you saying that you're giving ME a tip regarding my tip?

5. robhan91

robhan91 Lurker
    None

Sep 20, 2011
    Can someone please post a step by step? I cannot find that specific folder. And will this corrupt anything using cyanogenmod? Thank you

rvarn1 likes this.
  6. mantera

mantera Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2011

I'll edit the op later to include steps (at work atm). I have not tried in cm7 so i don't know if it will work but the steps will be the same.

7. robhan91

robhan91 Lurker
    None

Sep 20, 2011
    Ok thanks a lot

8. Austrie

Austrie Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2011
    Male
    St.Thomas, US Virgin Islands
    LOL, I didn't notice this thread was labeled tip, ironic :p
    but I mean you should add that very important info to your main post, its the only way you can do any of those steps. Saves you the trouble of people saying they don't see the vales folder.

septembersrain likes this.
  9. fleshlightt

fleshlightt Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    I cant figure out how to decompile it.

10. ziggy46

ziggy46 Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Being a pain in the a$$! LOL
    Chambersburg, Pa
    ok well you have to have android sdk installed on your pc.... then you setup adb, then find apk manager and it has a really easy to use gui. but for any of it to work you want to get adb setup... :D if you have adb setup let me know and i will give you more detailed instructions :)

11. fleshlightt

None

Aug 9, 2011
    I have apkmanager and i have the framework-res.apk, can I not edit it on my computer?

12. ziggy46

ziggy46 Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Chambersburg, Pa
    ok so use apk manager to decompile it ( # 9) then go to the projects folder and open up the folder "framework-res.apk" and find the values folder. then follow the rest of the instructions from this thread.... OH! and to edit the xml's get an program called notepad+ on your pc, and use it to edit the xml's... when dont just recompile (# 11) and put back into phone or rom! :p

fleshlightt likes this.
  13. fleshlightt

None

Aug 9, 2011
    thanks its working, should should i say yes or no for system file and should i have it fix the errors?

14. ziggy46

ziggy46 Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Chambersburg, Pa
    Yes to both... and when it says about deleting the resources.arsc, do it then press enter... (the resources.arsc is in the keep folder)

fleshlightt likes this.
  15. fleshlightt

None

Aug 9, 2011
    worked, thanks!

16. haro138

haro138 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 16, 2011
    Hey Ziggy thanks for posting all that info about installing adb and the steps needed afterwards but I am currently stuck trying to install my phones adb drivers. I enable debugging but I am not getting the drivers automatically installed like it said should be the case over the many pages that I've looked over on google. Between installing android sdk java developers platform and whatnot I'm over an hour in and sincerely dont know what to do next.

EDIT 1 OK. So I've uninstalled my drivers reinstalled them. When I navigate to the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools and type the command adb devices I see my phone's serial number come up. Yet apk manager still says adb not found. Not sure what im doing wrong here.

EDIT 2 I ended up copying the framework-res.apk with androzip i edited the file recompiled it and made it a flashable zip with uot kitchen flashed it and bootlooped. im restoring my nandroid backup. is there any other way to make it flashable once i recompile it. and sorry for cluttering up your thread

17. mantera

mantera Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2011
    The easiest way to make a flashable zip is to take somebody else's flashable zip, delete their files from the /system/ folder inside the Zip and then add your new framework-res.apk file into there in its place. As long as you leave the stuff in the META-INF alone, the Zip file should still be flashable.

I'll edit the OP to add a blank flashable zip template in there.

18. brl5034

brl5034 Lurker
    None

Sep 30, 2011
    Does anyone know the location of this string in cm7? I don't see virgin mobile in the strings xml, the closest is <string name="roamingText1">Roaming Indicator Off</string>. I have been looking everywhere in the decompiled framework apk and no luck. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

19. mantera

mantera Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2011
    In cm7, it's in the eri.XML file in Res/XML. It is the second line or so. Says something about roaming text. If you look in my battery mod post for cm7, look in the framework-res.apk there. You'll see it changed to cyanogenmod 7.

20. pandacookie

pandacookie Panda-riffic!
    None

21. mantera

mantera Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2011
    That's true. However, if you want the new text to be longer than "Virgin Mobile", you'll need to decompile and recompile the apk file to make the change.

22. Snowshredder34

None

Aug 6, 2012
    Thank You! I cannot stress how long and how many various methods I have tried, with no sucsess, before using your tutorial. Your tutorial was easy to follow, well written, and was extrordinarily helpfull. I actually became a member of this site just because of the "flashable-zip" file download. Once again, Thank You!

23. Devon is Cool

Devon is Cool Member
    None

Jul 29, 2012
    can someone make a video tut