• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tip - "HOW DO I" Settings with Android

My big one is how do you set up your contacts to be last name first?

I didn't see an answer for this...when adding or editing a contact through the People app, click on the contact's name text field at the top to pull up the keyboard. At the bottom of the Edit name screen, there is a Display name field, where you can select the display format of Lastname, Firstname.

You'll have to do this for all of your contacts, but it will allow you to display them in alphabetical order by last name.

Upvote 0
Thanx for that tutorial... How do I backup my phone? With the iPhone all you do is connect and sync. Whats the process with the EVO? I use Google Voice so I'm not worried about the contacts, I'm worried about my settings and apps and whaatnot...

Titanium backup. Though his app requires root access. All paid apps would be listed under downloads in the market. Another way with root is to use clockworks and backup the entire rom. Unfortunatly the only way to fully backup is with root.

Upvote 0
How do you delete albums or pictures under - menu / wallpaper / Gallery? I cant find a way to delete them.

Thoughs are the pictures on your SD Card. Therefor you need to mount the card to your computer. Find them on there and delete them. The exact place i couldn't tell you because it all depends on were you put them on the card.

Upvote 0
Thoughs are the pictures on your SD Card. Therefor you need to mount the card to your computer. Find them on there and delete them. The exact place i couldn't tell you because it all depends on were you put them on the card.

While connected as a disk drive, goto the root of your SD card, most albums created by apps will be here. And for future reference it's a good place to create albums you would like to show up in the gallery, and that will make them easy to locate later.

Example: I Created a file named "Collection", and move any pictures I want to stay on the phone after uploads etc permanently, all others I delete in order to free space.

All pics taken by your camera are located in the DCIM file in the root directory, and the subdirectory 100Media. Just remember, the file name will exactly match the name of the Album in the Gallery, to avoid any confusion if there are 'like' named albums....

I downloaded this 1 horrible app that did not use the corrects filename conventions for media, and all the program icons were showing up in an album in the Gallery, so I deleted it to free space once I removed the app. You can also change the filename to include a period at the beginning and the Gallery will ignore it, but then the file will sit there and take up space. But that would also clean up the albums list in your gallery at least.

Upvote 0
I have done several searches but must admit I have not read this entire Thread.

After some tweaking I am very very happy with my Evo - it's fun, functional fast!

My question is this:

Is there a way to hide txt messages from the home/lock display screen? I dont really understand the logic behind allowing this to show up in the first place. I realize it is only the most recent text received and that it does disappear after a while (?? not sure how long ??) but I'm not real crazy about others being able to see text messages displayed on my phone's home page.

Thanks for any help

Reactions: Triprock
Upvote 0
I have done several searches but must admit I have not read this entire Thread.

After some tweaking I am very very happy with my Evo - it's fun, functional fast!

My question is this:

Is there a way to hide txt messages from the home/lock display screen? I dont really understand the logic behind allowing this to show up in the first place. I realize it is only the most recent text received and that it does disappear after a while (?? not sure how long ??) but I'm not real crazy about others being able to see text messages displayed on my phone's home page.

Thanks for any help

The only way this is going to happen is to install Handcent (Very nice sms/mms) replacement. Disable the notifications in the default messageing application. Then with Handcent you can customize how you receive your notifications. There are a ton of other customizations with Handcent as well. I was reluctant to us it at first, but once I tried it, I can't see going back to stock messaging. Hope this helped.

Gratz on your first post and welcome!!!!

Upvote 0
The only way this is going to happen is to install Handcent (Very nice sms/mms) replacement. Disable the notifications in the default messageing application. Then with Handcent you can customize how you receive your notifications. There are a ton of other customizations with Handcent as well. I was reluctant to us it at first, but once I tried it, I can't see going back to stock messaging. Hope this helped.

Gratz on your first post and welcome!!!!

SirSlayer, first, allow me to add my thanks for a great thread and the service you are doing to an evergrowing community of users with little to no experience on Android. Much appreciated!

Now, regarding Handcent, do you notice if it has any negative effects towards battery life. I had read that earlier versions of the stock app did in fact negatively effect battery life, so I'm just curious. And once the defaults are cleared from the stock and Handcent made the default app, does it solely receive the notifications then? I used to use a BlackBerry and tried an SMS client that allowed true chat style messaging, but the problem was the stock app still received all notifications too, so you had to clear both programs. That wasn't very practical to me.

Upvote 0
SirSlayer, first, allow me to add my thanks for a great thread and the service you are doing to an evergrowing community of users with little to no experience on Android. Much appreciated!

Now, regarding Handcent, do you notice if it has any negative effects towards battery life. I had read that earlier versions of the stock app did in fact negatively effect battery life, so I'm just curious. And once the defaults are cleared from the stock and Handcent made the default app, does it solely receive the notifications then? I used to use a BlackBerry and tried an SMS client that allowed true chat style messaging, but the problem was the stock app still received all notifications too, so you had to clear both programs. That wasn't very practical to me.

Once you install Hancent and disable the stock messaging notifications you will just get Hancent notifications, and there are a lot more options for notifications as well. As for battery life I have not noticed any ill effects. I am rooted though and running Fresh Rom 1.0.1 which dramatically improved my battery life.

Reactions: JackG058
Upvote 0
Once you install Hancent and disable the stock messaging notifications you will just get Hancent notifications, and there are a lot more options for notifications as well. As for battery life I have not noticed any ill effects. I am rooted though and running Fresh Rom 1.0.1 which dramatically improved my battery life.

Thank you sir! (pun intended, hehe)

The new update to Froyo is supposed to be available for manual download tomorrow, 8/1, according to an official Sprint response to some queries on their Facebook page. I think I'll wait to see how the update looks, and then may try Hancent out afterward.

Upvote 0
I hope this wonderful tips and tricks can help me with this. I have an HTC Desire and would like my calendar items to defult to NO alarm but it is not an option any ideas how to cancel the alarm. Also on my boring old Nokia I could change the labels for numbers etc in my contacts details can't seem to do this either.

Upvote 0
I hope this wonderful tips and tricks can help me with this. I have an HTC Desire and would like my calendar items to defult to NO alarm but it is not an option any ideas how to cancel the alarm. Also on my boring old Nokia I could change the labels for numbers etc in my contacts details can't seem to do this either.

Well, this forum is for EVO, but if the desire runs sence then the calendar should be the same. When I add a new event I see an option for no reminders. I would imagine yours would be the same. That should disable the reminders. You will have to do that for each appointment.

Upvote 0
When i go to add calendar, the add function is greyed out. even attempted to delete calendars then add, but did not work????

How are you trying to access the calendar? I bring mine up and hit menu/more/calendars

then menu/add and its available to me. Do you use google calendar? or outlook? You have to be using sync with one of these for the calendar to work.

Welcome to the forums!

Upvote 0
When i go to add calendar, the add function is greyed out. even attempted to delete calendars then add, but did not work????

Well after upgrading to 2.2 I see what you are seeing now. Mine is grayed out as well. Could have been helpful to know that you were running 2.2 for this one. From what I can tell if you have all your calendars selected already then there is no need to add more. The add calendar function seems useless because you can just check and un-check the calendars you want. If you add more there needs to be a calendar associated with the account you are syncing. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Couldn't do it in either 2.1 or now 2.2

Two email accounts and can't do either. My Mac account (me.com) and my gmail.

Ok I can't help you with me.com because I don't use it. Though with Gmail you should be able to save the image. There is a button under the pic that says download. Then it will give you an option to view it. Now it seems at this point that it didn't save it to the SD card but it did. If you use a file manager (I like Astro File Manager) you can browse to the download folder on the sd card and you should see the image there. This could be the same for me.com. I just tested this and it did work. Now the other question I have for you is what format is the image? Mine was a .jpg.

Upvote 0
Ok I can't help you with me.com because I don't use it. Though with Gmail you should be able to save the image. There is a button under the pic that says download. Then it will give you an option to view it. Now it seems at this point that it didn't save it to the SD card but it did. If you use a file manager (I like Astro File Manager) you can browse to the download folder on the sd card and you should see the image there. This could be the same for me.com. I just tested this and it did work. Now the other question I have for you is what format is the image? Mine was a .jpg.

There isn't a way to just save it to my gallery?

.jpg, yes.

Here's the thing. I have pictures that were emailed to me that I want to use for adding face pictures to my contacts list. I need them to be in the gallery for me to be able to use the picture.

Upvote 0
There isn't a way to just save it to my gallery?

.jpg, yes.

Here's the thing. I have pictures that were emailed to me that I want to use for adding face pictures to my contacts list. I need them to be in the gallery for me to be able to use the picture.

If you look in your gallery you will see All downloads. The images should be in there if you downloaded them from the email. Now if they are google contacts you can also use your computer to assign the images to contacts in gmail its self (was a lot easier from my point of view). But adding them on the phone should be easy as well since they do show up after you download them. All images are read by the gallery no matter what folder they are in on the SD Card.

Upvote 0
If you look in your gallery you will see All downloads. The images should be in there if you downloaded them from the email. Now if they are google contacts you can also use your computer to assign the images to contacts in gmail its self (was a lot easier from my point of view). But adding them on the phone should be easy as well since they do show up after you download them. All images are read by the gallery no matter what folder they are in on the SD Card.

Checked the All Downloads and they're not in there.

I still haven't figured out how to sync Google to all my contacts (nongoogle contacts as well) so I can't sync it that way.

I dunno what to do.

Upvote 0
Checked the All Downloads and they're not in there.

I still haven't figured out how to sync Google to all my contacts (nongoogle contacts as well) so I can't sync it that way.

I dunno what to do.

In gmail email did you click the download button and view the image? Thats when it saves the image.

For syncing gmail from the home screen select:
menu/settings/Accounts & Sync Click on Google. Make sure sync contacts is selected.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones