• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tip - "HOW DO I" Settings with Android

OK, I got this one! Look in your apps list for "Talk" and open it. Then hit the menu button and go into the settings and sign out. I think you can also set it to not sign in automatically as well (to conserve a little more juice).

Yes but now does it let you use a different gmail account? I think that's what the person was asking about.

Upvote 0
I can't get contacts syncing from my phone up to my Outlook via Exchange. It works one way but not the other. Only true for contacts. I asked elsewhere but did not get a response. Anyone have any thoughts on why this might be happening?

I don't sync my exchange contacts on my phone as I don't want all my co-workers on there. But I think I know why this is. Depending on the exchange server the contact list is controlled by the exchange server. I don't think it will allow other users to start adding contacts from the phone. I am sure its a setting on the exchange side. Is the Exchange server you are using a cooperate exchange server? or personal exchange server? If its the latter then you should be able to change the exchange server settings to allow users to update the contacts. If its a cooperate server then I highly doubt that they will let you write to the company directory.

Hope this helps.

OH Welcome to the forums too!!!!

Reactions: Baboontyme
Upvote 0
I don't sync my exchange contacts on my phone as I don't want all my co-workers on there. But I think I know why this is. Depending on the exchange server the contact list is controlled by the exchange server. I don't think it will allow other users to start adding contacts from the phone. I am sure its a setting on the exchange side. Is the Exchange server you are using a cooperate exchange server? or personal exchange server? If its the latter then you should be able to change the exchange server settings to allow users to update the contacts. If its a cooperate server then I highly doubt that they will let you write to the company directory.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it is a corporate Exchange server. It seems I was able to do it previously on my old phone, though. Weird. Bummer if so. If anyone else has any ideas I'd sure appreciate hearing them. Thanks!

Upvote 0
New to Android from Pre. So glad I made the switch!!! Gets better by the day!!

Is there a way to change the 'me' display name in text mesging conversations?

TIA!

Welcome to Android!!!! it is a lot of fun to use.
Regarding the me contact, I don't think so. I didn't see anything to change that. I have my me contact card filled in too and it still displays me in the text window.

Is it possible for the screen to stay on longer while on a call? I'd like to keep my normal screen shut off time of 1 minute for everything else.

Also, is it possible to make the security unlock pattern to only ask for the pattern every 30 minutes instead of every time you unlock?

Screen? - The time out while in a call is a sensor on the front of the phone near the top speaker. It will black out when you put the phone up to your cheek. I don't think there is a setting for that, though I could be wrong. I will look further into that. Just to note, the screen should come back when you take the phone from your cheek unless you are in the dark.

Security unlock - Same response here. I don't think there is a way to set a timer on it. This is a cool suggestion though. Maybe you could email Google and make a feature request.

Reactions: mms1946
Upvote 0
Yes, it is a corporate Exchange server. It seems I was able to do it previously on my old phone, though. Weird. Bummer if so. If anyone else has any ideas I'd sure appreciate hearing them. Thanks!

Well after writing my first response it got me thinking. I know that Outlook allows for personal contacts as well. Is that what you want to be able to update? Or did you want to update the company directory?

Upvote 0
Afternoon guys,
Jumped Apple's and AT&T's ship and couldn't be happier. I'm having one glaring annoyance though. How in the eff do I link only certain phone contacts to facebook? I have my fiance in the phone already, all her information, so how do I sync that contact with her facebook page? I don't want all of my facebook friends in my phone, just a select few.

Any ideas!?

Upvote 0
Afternoon guys,
Jumped Apple's and AT&T's ship and couldn't be happier. I'm having one glaring annoyance though. How in the eff do I link only certain phone contacts to facebook? I have my fiance in the phone already, all her information, so how do I sync that contact with her facebook page? I don't want all of my facebook friends in my phone, just a select few.

Any ideas!?

I will have to defer this one as I don't use facebook. Though I did see in the contacts a way to link other contacts. Not sure if that would help. Anyone else out there that uses Facebook can help this guy??

Upvote 0
Well after writing my first response it got me thinking. I know that Outlook allows for personal contacts as well. Is that what you want to be able to update? Or did you want to update the company directory?

SS,

No, just my personal contacts. No need to write to the company directory. If I add someone's contact info via my phone while I'm on a business trip, I shouldn't have to add it into my laptop later, too - I would think anyway. Just doesn't make sense. My buddy says he has it working via Touchdown so I may give that a try. I just can't believe there isn't some way to get a 2 way sync going being Exchange and the phone. Not everyone who uses this phone for work uses Gmail as their default corporate e-mail, contacts and calendar do they?

Upvote 0
Afternoon guys,

Any ideas!?

If you go into People and find her contact and tap on it near the top it should have an icon that says link and it should ask you what you want to link the contact with ie: Facebook. You might need to have Facebook set to sync with your other contacts though too but maybe not I haven't tried the way you are thinking.

Upvote 0
SS,

No, just my personal contacts. No need to write to the company directory. If I add someone's contact info via my phone while I'm on a business trip, I shouldn't have to add it into my laptop later, too - I would think anyway. Just doesn't make sense. My buddy says he has it working via Touchdown so I may give that a try. I just can't believe there isn't some way to get a 2 way sync going being Exchange and the phone. Not everyone who uses this phone for work uses Gmail as their default corporate e-mail, contacts and calendar do they?

I will look into this and sync my contacts.

Reactions: Baboontyme
Upvote 0
Not sure if this helps, but when your phone is ringing, if you flip it over, it will silence the ringer.

Yea I mentioned that earlier but I think they want a one button push...the apk widget I posted makes it a direct settings connect with sound profiles.

I do love that feature though...flip and ringer done.

Upvote 0
As for the questions about manually downloading e-mail, I haven't been able to figure out a way to do it. In the settings where you select the days, it makes you select at least one.

I have e-mail addresses that I don't need to check all the time but do want them set up on the phone for easy access when I need to. Right now I've got them set to just download the mail one day a week. But I'll have to keep swapping the day to fool it. Otherwise I'll have to just delete the accounts until I need them which is not a good option. It wouldn't be such an annoyance if there was an option to delete all or mark all as read.

Another thing I don't understand is why mobile devices default to removing mail from the server. It was like that on my winmo phone. If I forget to turn that off then I'm stuck losing the opportunity to download the mail on my main computer.

Upvote 0
As for the questions about manually downloading e-mail, I haven't been able to figure out a way to do it. In the settings where you select the days, it makes you select at least one.

I have e-mail addresses that I don't need to check all the time but do want them set up on the phone for easy access when I need to. Right now I've got them set to just download the mail one day a week. But I'll have to keep swapping the day to fool it. Otherwise I'll have to just delete the accounts until I need them which is not a good option. It wouldn't be such an annoyance if there was an option to delete all or mark all as read.

Another thing I don't understand is why mobile devices default to removing mail from the server. It was like that on my winmo phone. If I forget to turn that off then I'm stuck losing the opportunity to download the mail on my main computer.

1. Use the Refresh button, Its the same as "Send & Receive"
2. This is not WINMO. I have not seen options like that and the mail I have set up is on the server as well as my phone and my computer. The way the OS handles the email is by how many days back you want. They will go away after that amount of time has passed. So they wont stay in view. If you delete it on the phone it will delete on the server.

A 3rd Options would be to search the market for another mail client that will handle your accounts and may have the settings you want.

I personally like the way the device handles email, I don't have to think about managing the mail.

Upvote 0
I went into my GMAIL account online and set it to receive mail from my other email accounts.
I then told it to leave mail on SERVER so I could receive them on my laptop/desktop, etc.
All my emails go to my gmail now. woohooo

P.S. If you have a lot of emails I would set it to notify you with just the flashing light or you will go crazy if the sound is on. :eek:

Upvote 0
If you want to get your custom ringtones to show up in your ringtones list, do the following:

1. On your SD card make a folder called Media (if it's already there skip step)
2. In the media folder make a folder called audio
3. In the audio folder make a folder called ringtones
4. Put any ringtones that you want in this folder

Now when you go to select ringtones on your evo your custom ringtones should show up in the list.

Ok....I'm really behind the curve. Are you accessing your SD card from a menu on the phone, or from your computer via USB connection?? Which leads me to 2 other questions......First, how do you access the SD card from the phone menu? I had to save a file sent to my email on the SD card in order to open it. Now, I don't even know how to get to files on my SD card. Second, how do you/can you change the storage location (internal memory or SD card) manually??

Upvote 0
trying to set up the hot spot and get:
error CODE 67 .Registration error. Your PCS Vision username and/or password may be incorrect. Please try again.
with a dismiss button at the bottom.
i have setup a hotspot name as well as a password for it, my laptop does reconize it but i can't sign on.
any suggestions?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I had the same issue when I was setting up my hotspot connection. What I didn't realize was that I had my EVO set to only allow authorized users, and when my computer was trying to connect I didn't notice that the EVO had displayed a prompt for me to allow (or not) the connection. As soon as I noticed that and authorized the connection, the problem was solved.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help.
I removed the battery for about 5 min this morning to see if that would help get rid of the code, nothing
did all of the steps you mentioned and nothing i have to go see my buddy today at he Sprint store and will ask him.
I will let you know.
it is a little annoying because i am paying for that service, but i'm sure he will help me figure it out.

Upvote 0
Is there any way to hide apps that I dont use?? Like Sprint Football or any other app. I read that you cant delete them but hiding them would un clutter my screen.

Also I hold the app down and try to move the app (just to better organize screen) but it wont allow me to move the icon on the app screen. Just keeps wanting to put it o the homescreen where there is no room.

Thanks in advance. Love my EVO!!

Upvote 0
Is there any way to hide apps that I dont use?? Like Sprint Football or any other app. I read that you cant delete them but hiding them would un clutter my screen.

Also I hold the app down and try to move the app (just to better organize screen) but it wont allow me to move the icon on the app screen. Just keeps wanting to put it o the homescreen where there is no room.

Thanks in advance. Love my EVO!!

Are you talking about on one of the 7 home screens, or on the "All Apps" menu?

If you want to remove an icon or widget or app from one of the 7 home screens, hold the app down until it highlights and drag it to the bottom of the screen (to where is says 'REMOVE') and its gone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones