• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tip-Trick: 61 hours, 24% battery remaining

htcevobattery2dplussmal.jpg

---RD

Android System 4%. Display 2%.

This phone was NOT used for the unplugged duration.

This is hilarious.

Not fair to future owners to make them think they are going to even get 50% of this with medium or heavy use.

You could pull this trick off with an Eris or a Hero too.

Upvote 0
I was never once concerned about the Evo's battery life. I keep Bluetooth, GPS, and Wifi off almost all the time, and I can always get a couple days worth of battery. I use Wifi a fair amount now, and even so, I still get about 2 days. And this is after watching TV shows (via SD card) for an hour at the gym every day (with the screen on the brightest setting).

I'm not at all worried about the Evo's battery. If you're new to Android, you'll want to really go through the OS and disable things you're not using. And once you do, battery life is fine.

Oh, and I never use task killers. They're completely pointless, and totally unnecessary. Any gains you think you notice from using them are a total placebo effect.

Reactions: hyabusha
Upvote 0
That was painful!
I just uploaded a 1.5 minute 720p video to YouTube over 4G (approx 50MB).
Took 34 minutes and drained my battery from 50% to 25%, and the back of the device got pretty warm!
Anyhow, still something that might be part of peoples regular use.

I've also been experimenting around this for my android application development and I think this could be a useful separate thread to share tips and tricks. Based on what I have been seeing for consumption, I'm probably going to default user's to only bulk uploading data over wi-fi versus immediate over 3G or 4G unless they explicitly override it and request immediate upload. The GPS alone drains so much battery that any substantial data upload is killing the battery off within just a few hours but waiting on data upload saves quite a bit of battery.

Upvote 0
I've also been experimenting around this for my android application development and I think this could be a useful separate thread to share tips and tricks. Based on what I have been seeing for consumption, I'm probably going to default user's to only bulk uploading data over wi-fi versus immediate over 3G or 4G unless they explicitly override it and request immediate upload. The GPS alone drains so much battery that any substantial data upload is killing the battery off within just a few hours but waiting on data upload saves quite a bit of battery.

I really just wanted to see how much it would affect my battery and see how long it would take. It dropped the connection a few times when the signal went to 3G. It waited a minute each time and once 4G was reestablished, it began to upload again from where it left off. Not too bad really. I could also pause it and resume once I was on WiFi if I chose to.
The EVO actually will not let me try to upload large files when on 3G, only on 4G or WiFi.

Upvote 0
Well folks, it's 8:25PM, so 11.5 hours since the test started, with 4G and GPS on the entire time. The phone forced itself to shut down with 1% battery remaining. Made one huge 50MB upload via 4G of a 1.5 minute 720p video to YouTube which really hammered the battery (took 35 minutes). In that 35 minutes the battery went from 50% to 25%.
So, with what I think is pretty hard use with GPS and 4G on all day, with one large upload to YouTube, watching some youtube, taking a bunch of video, uploading screenshots and photos to flickr, listening to pandora, e-mail, phone calls, web browsing, twitter/friendstream, a bit of Skype/Fring, google maps, and several app downloads, the battery and EVO performed admirably!

I will definitely keep a spare battery on hand and I have a battery charger that doubles as a USB phone charger too. But really, all told, I'm pretty impressed.

A few notes:
At 15% battery, the unlock screen gave a visual warning to plug in the phone
At 5% battery, the phone chirped an alarm and gave a visual warning to plug in the phone.
At 1% the phone seemed to do an orderly shut down (with enough time for me to take a screen shot)

The phone still went 1 hour 37 minutes between 15% charge alarm and 1% shut down and I was still taking video and uploading screen shots much of the time.

Here are some screen shots for you to check out:

Attachments

• 648charge.jpg
    648charge.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 15pct.jpg
    15pct.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 5pct.jpg
    5pct.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 1pct.jpg
    1pct.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 1pctJP.jpg
    1pctJP.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 207
  • PO.jpg
    PO.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 213
Upvote 0
wow, thanks a lot. i just changed the settings to match yours. hope the battery life is gonna rock it. i was starting to get worried since i've been having to charge atleast every 8-10 hours of up time

With the Palm Pre you have to do just that. lol Some of us do have good experience with how to manage battery life. If you've use Palm Pre, the EVO should be great when it comes to battery.

Upvote 0
Probably the same security concern that Sprint has with the Hotspot issue being used without having them to get paid for it. lol

TS

Nice. ;) I think they are going to have to give the hotspot away for free eventually. Once Froyo is out and the Nexus 1 and other phones get it free, people will start to complain.

The security risk I see is that Framebuffer is not locked down and could be exploited by an unscrupulous dev who wants to take screenshots of your phone and have them sent to them.

Upvote 0
For those that dont' follow my thread...

24 HR Battery Test Log!
So I decided to do a 24hr battery test log under the following conditions:

• 4G Off
  • Bluetooth Off
  • GPS On
  • Brightness on Low
  • ATK (Advance Task Killer) - Autokill on Safe Mode after screen turn off. This will kill unused apps running the background (i.e. sprint apps and etc).

5.27.10 - 11:11pm PST
Fully charged! with green light indicator on. unplugged now. Full battery (100%)

5.28.10 - 8:10AM PST
Idled for about 9hrs. Still have 92% battery life. I have 2 gmail accounts using the built in gMail app. received 5 emails over the idling period. I have notification on (sound + vibrate) when email comes in. Battery doing very well with ATK running and killing task!

5.28.10 - 9:56AM PST
5 Minute use... Downloaded ShootMe App using AppBrain. Shot some photos for a forum member here. Plugged into the comp for 3 mins to get the photos onto the computer. 91%
http://androidforums.com/822368-post63.html

5.28.10 - 11:49AM PST
Just did 15 of web browsing. Down to 81percent

5.28.10 - 03:42PM PST
Down to 74%. Added another 10 mins of browsing the web. Went to my office where the basement complex is on roaming. It did some roaming and searching for radio for about 10 minutes. That could have probably run the battery down a bit.

5.28.10 - 07:39PM PST
Browsed 10 more mins on the phone... got few emails, check emails. ETC ETC... @ 70% since last night!

5.28.10 - 10:56PM PST
10 mins of more browsing, looking up stuff and checking AF on the phone...
62%... Almost 24hrs. 15 mins shy of 24. Battery is staying strong... ATK FTW
oh btw... that's 50 mins of browsing + roaming radio polling + gmal push + gps on + bunch of other aspects

5.29.10 - 08:10AM PST
32HRS later.... 50% on battery life!

Upvote 0
For those that dont' follow my thread...

24 HR Battery Test Log!
So I decided to do a 24hr battery test log under the following conditions:

• 4G Off
  • Bluetooth Off
  • GPS On
  • Brightness on Low
  • ATK (Advance Task Killer) - Autokill on Safe Mode after screen turn off. This will kill unused apps running the background (i.e. sprint apps and etc).

5.29.10 - 08:10AM PST
32HRS later.... 50% on battery life!

Great! So I can quit this cockamamie stuff and go back to 4G!

Upvote 0
3:15 - 65% remaining 3G w/ GPS. 4G really uses a lot of juice, but no surprise there.

TIP-If you live somewhere where there is no 4G - leave the 4G radio off!
I don't have the phone yet, but should have 4G coverage once I do.... Would it make sense to have 4G off and just turn it on when I need it?

Seems pointless to have 4G turned on if I am just text messaging, emaling, listening to music, playing games or making phone calls.

So does it drain so much power, that it makes sense to just turn 4G on when it is needed?

Upvote 0
I don't have the phone yet, but should have 4G coverage once I do.... Would it make sense to have 4G off and just turn it on when I need it?

Seems pointless to have 4G turned on if I am just text messaging, emaling, listening to music, playing games or making phone calls.

So does it drain so much power, that it makes sense to just turn 4G on when it is needed?

If you're comfortable working that way and you have good 3G service, and max battery life is what you're after, it makes perfect sense.

Upvote 0

Remember if you use 4g, you can use voice and data at the same time. That is a important thing for some people. I would use that feature if I were driving around somewhere and wanted to have GoogleNav going and talking to someone on the phone.

Upvote 0
I'm only basing this on what I have been reading here and on other forums, but chances are, you will want to keep the Wimax radio toggled off when not in use the same way most people keep bluetooth and Wifi radios toggled off when not in use. HTC added a nice set of simple radio toggle widgets that will make this simple. On a call and want to look something up? Toggle on Wifi or Wimax. Want to download or upload a large file? Stream a big video? Toggle on. If the phone is sitting in your pocket or on your desk just being available for calls and emails and text messages? Leave them off. I think that right there will take care of any major battery concerns. Running any radio on a phone constantly will demolish battery. Wimax is no different.

Reactions: Daddo
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones