• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tip-Trick: 61 hours, 24% battery remaining

Has anyone tested turning off the network function. (in the case of saving juice)

Under Phone Options:

Power off
Silent mode
Vibration mode
Airplane mode
Mobile network (connect to Internet is OFF/ON)

I use this 3 second power button depress all the time to set my phone to silent while at work or quite situations. Figured it might be a worthwhile test to disable while the network is not needed.

I understand that programs may continue to "try" and access the network assuming they run in the background, BUT, "try" and "achieve" are different things. While energy is used in both cases, (try = some) achieve is (try + transmit = more).

Additionally, if this is a helpful function, then a soft key or (screen goes blank) app might be helpful (developers). Where you hit a soft key on the screen and it turns off/on the network or when the screen goes black it turns off. That would save the need to enable it each time by physical means (mostly)... allowing instant communication with your network applications when the screen is woken, as opposed to having to hit the power key each time to re-initialize it (as well as an override).

Thoughts?

While I've not done a thorough test; I need to as I do realize it's a short life. However, in my experience with many diff smart phones it's not crazy bad since this is a power processor (compared to most) and it's in a novelty stage (which while I AM a power user normally) as of current I am REALLY a power user due to it being new and I'm learning it... (screen constantly being active, playing, installing apps, etc. etc.)

I figure after it's worn off a bit, I'll return to my normal usage and it will be a bit better. Sides, I've always carried a second battery also since smart phones don't last like "just phones" do. ;)

Glad to be a part of such a knowledge base. Hope my thoughts/suggestions don't get me flamed. ;)

Upvote 0
Android System 4%. Display 2%.

This phone was NOT used for the unplugged duration.

This is hilarious.

Not fair to future owners to make them think they are going to even get 50% of this with medium or heavy use.

You could pull this trick off with an Eris or a Hero too.

Yeah that 4% is shady, on my phone it is always the highest % and by a LARGE margin.

Mine right now after only being unplugged for 1 hours is 57% with cell stand by following at 23%. I've also yet to see any battery screen shots where the Android system wasn't the top consumer of the battery.

I'm going to unplug mine and leave it over night and see what my Android % is in the morning though.

UPDATE:

Well after leaving it sit over night the Android systems use is only like 4%. So the low % is certainly caused by low use. But after I made a few calls and did a few little online things the % was still low (single digit %) so it is very possible with the OP's long battery life for it to be that low, even if he made quick calls ever 30 minutes.

Sorry for doubt you OP :)

Upvote 0
On the ...4636... radio fix instructions by abcdfv

Originally Posted by apollooff320
will use this trick along with this one [How-To] Better battery life, reduce Time Without Signal. - xda-developers
didn't really do much for me...

*#*#4636#*#* GSM to CDMA, fact or fiction. - xda-developers

Do we know if this is still a problem with the offical Sprint 2.1 update?
Originally Posted by abcdfv
It hasn't been a problem for a few months now.
I did not know that, I wonder how many people are doing this needless now.

I have been running fresh 2.1.1 and do it every time I reboot. No wonder I never saw a difference!

And if anyone's still interested - I'm not XDA and while I believe that I, too, know everything, I shy away from ever going in under the hood where there's an app for that:

Originally Posted by 5tr4t4
As has been noted elsewhere, the application "Network" from the market also provides quick access to this setting.

Upvote 0
thecolor -
Has anyone tested turning off the network function. (in the case of saving juice)

Actually, you can get that as a widget:

+ (bottom right) or long press on empty screen space
Widget
Settings
Mobile Network

I have one desktop (right term??) devoted to power and other useful settings.

It has that one, Mobile (Network), and from the same Settings sub-menu, Airplane, and 4G - and at the top, the Power Control from the Widget menu.

Then I went + -> Shortcut -> Settings and also put there Accounts & sync, Battery Use, and Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi on/off is in the Android Power Control Widget, but this shortcut gives me faster access to Wi-Fi setup if I want to change or enter a new WEP key or something - it only saves a second or two - and I'm using the Wi-Fi battery during that time, so why not?

Account sync'ing isn't that big a deal, but I thought I'd like to keep that off the radio when I don't need it and this makes it easier to get to. (I'm still not 100% clear on the sync'ing tool in the Power Control widget does.)

Along with that I have LCD Light (picoly) and No Lock (BoD) from the Market.

No Lock has nothing with battery power - it has to do with my energy levels. When at home or anywhere safe, I unlock the phone so that if it's asleep, I don't have to do Power -> down-swipe -- just hit one of the volume keys and I ready to go.

LCD Light lights up the camera LEDs like a flashlight - this drains the phone, but cuts down on my energy getting in the door when someone forgets the porchlight.

PS - I think four of these sort of widgets were on the Sprint install, on the screen next to the "Favorites" widget. I blew them off and made my own screen where Bookmarks used to be.

I already know how to find most things without a bookmark widget.

PPS - If I ever spent a day NOT hanging out at the Market or looking up favorite music vids on YouTube, I'd have some clue about how long my battery lasts.

New toy and all that.

But I just realized - better go find some kind of backup tool; I don't want to repeat all of this for the 2.2 upgrade. I didn't mind the 2.1 upgrade on my Moment because I didn't have all that much customized.

The Evo is Evo-ly forcing me to play around and explore the rich configuration possibilities!

evo-power-space.png

Upvote 0
Actually, you can get that as a widget:

+ (bottom right) or long press on empty screen space
Widget
Settings
Mobile Network

I have one desktop (right term??) devoted to power and other useful settings.

It has that one, Mobile (Network), and from the same Settings sub-menu, Airplane, and 4G - and at the top, the Power Control from the Widget menu.

Then I went + -> Shortcut -> Settings and also put there Accounts & sync, Battery Use, and Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi on/off is in the Android Power Control Widget, but this shortcut gives me faster access to Wi-Fi setup if I want to change or enter a new WEP key or something - it only saves a second or two - and I'm using the Wi-Fi battery during that time, so why not?

Account sync'ing isn't that big a deal, but I thought I'd like to keep that off the radio when I don't need it and this makes it easier to get to. (I'm still not 100% clear on the sync'ing tool in the Power Control widget does.)

Along with that I have LCD Light (picoly) and No Lock (BoD) from the Market.

No Lock has nothing with battery power - it has to do with my energy levels. When at home or anywhere safe, I unlock the phone so that if it's asleep, I don't have to do Power -> down-swipe -- just hit one of the volume keys and I ready to go.

LCD Light lights up the camera LEDs like a flashlight - this drains the phone, but cuts down on my energy getting in the door when someone forgets the porchlight.

PS - I think four of these sort of widgets were on the Sprint install, on the screen next to the "Favorites" widget. I blew them off and made my own screen where Bookmarks used to be.

I already know how to find most things without a bookmark widget.

PPS - If I ever spent a day NOT hanging out at the Market or looking up favorite music vids on YouTube, I'd have some clue about how long my battery lasts.

New toy and all that.

But I just realized - better go find some kind of backup tool; I don't want to repeat all of this for the 2.2 upgrade. I didn't mind the 2.1 upgrade on my Moment because I didn't have all that much customized.

The Evo is Evo-ly forcing me to play around and explore the rich configuration possibilities!

View attachment 6039

There is an app called juicesaver (or something like that) that actually schedules turning on and off the radios. it will turn them for a short time on so that apps can update. I'm trying it now but so far I'm not sure it does anything.

Upvote 0
Keep me posted - sounds like a great idea. Thanks in advance!
Well they did an update just yesterday and now it appears you need root for it to really work. The new configuration automatically checks for root and says it can't control the APN without root. Odd they claimed to be doing it in the previous version hmmmm. After that update My battery drained like water in a sink in 5 hours sitting on my bed over night not being used at all. Today something made the phone go from 74% to 34% in about 30 minues (it got hot and again I was doing nothing) Not sure if it was the juice app or the new 5.00 battery :) But uninstalled the apps to make sure and put back HTC battery. I may try it again once I get root.

Upvote 0
So little science in here. Someone needs to do 24 hour runs, doing precisely same activities, keeping the phone in same area, and then changing ONE thing at a time to determine if it saves battery or not - otherwise its all just he said/she said and biases.

BTW the percents in "battery use" are a joke. Wanna see android system at 2% ? Install smart measure and it will always be at 85% and android system will always be 2-5%. The OP's story sounds fishy to say the least, but calling him a liar based on a page that doesn't work is dumb.

Upvote 0
Just loaded all of this into my new Evo. Never will understand why these phones can't come will this already packaged in them. My phone lasts no more than 12 hours and that is mostly in the standby, 3G mode.

Does anyone know a way to make the phone turn on (Wake) and off (sleep) at predesignated times. (like my Blackberry 8330 did)

Check out Timeriffic from the App store. Free and you can configure ringer volumes, Airplane mode, etc. Nice for automatically turning your phone to vibrate for reoccurring meetings, classes, etc.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
was wondering if this is true, has anyone tried this, maybe not, may be a dumb idea, but.... if i unplug my phone right now and the timer starts... 1H 1M 1S SINCE UNPLUGGED..... and i turn my phone off for, say, 8 hours, does that timer still run? then i turn my phone on and use for say, 3 hours.... 12H 1M 1S SINCE UNPLUGGED.... but i bet my battery will be lookin pretty darn good... that's if the timer still goes while the phone is still off... maybe, just maybe, i could get 2 days out of one charge if i turn it off after each web browse, phone call, text, etc... etc.... etc.... just pondering the idea... 2 days seems just too good to be true....

Upvote 0
was wondering if this is true, has anyone tried this, maybe not, may be a dumb idea, but.... if i unplug my phone right now and the timer starts... 1H 1M 1S SINCE UNPLUGGED..... and i turn my phone off for, say, 8 hours, does that timer still run? then i turn my phone on and use for say, 3 hours.... 12H 1M 1S SINCE UNPLUGGED.... but i bet my battery will be lookin pretty darn good... that's if the timer still goes while the phone is still off... maybe, just maybe, i could get 2 days out of one charge if i turn it off after each web browse, phone call, text, etc... etc.... etc.... just pondering the idea... 2 days seems just too good to be true....

No because the new power management system uses Time on Battery not time since unplugged. Having said that on Froyo and earlier the Time since unplugged reset every time you rebooted your phone. However the new system does something interesting which is this: Let's say I have been unplugged for 6 hours and decided to charge up a bit. My time on Battery would pause at the 6 hours and then let's say I charge for an Hour but not over 92% full and unplug; The time on Battery would start running again at 6 Hours. In order to reset the time on Battery you would have to charge to over 94% or so (not 100% on the actually percentage, still testing this). So you could actually keep doing that and make it look like you have been on battery forever but when you click on the new graph at the top you would see that it spent part of that time charging.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones