1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Tips and Tricks on the Nexus 9

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by reisb, Dec 5, 2014.

1. reisb

reisb Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    I just got my N9 yesterday and have not done much except charge it and update Google apps. Haven't even installed any apps yet. Setup some settings the way I like (no sound for email, no vibrate keypad press, etc)

Thought this would be a good thread for anyone needing to know how to do "stuff".

In my few minutes of toying, my first question is:
    Can I get email notification on notification bar, but no on lock screen?

Also, a simple hint for those that don't like the hard to find power button...just double tap the screen to turn on if you don't have a case.

Thanks everyone and I hope this thread helps everyone out over time!

Advertisement

Brian706 likes this.
  2. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    You can accomplish this only if you enable a secure lock screen (pin, pattern, password, etc.) in the security settings. Once you set that up, you will be prompted with a choice to show all notifications, hide sensitive notifications or hide all notifications.

3. BynoUK

BynoUK Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Male
    UK
    The double tap to screen on is a godsend on this tablet (I'm amazed at how anyone thought buttons so flush is a good idea, volume is also a pain to use)

I've a case on the way anyway now so I don't have to use the power button to screen off, tried apps but don't want the clutter on my homescreen.

Aside from that I'm a big fan :D

4. Vance92

Vance92 Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2014
    Male
    Thanks for the tip. The flush buttons have been problematic. I find myself looking for the face camera to determine which way is up so I'll know where the power button is. Waiting on my keyboard folio to arrive.

Amazon.com for cheaper alternatives to the "official" Nexus keyboard of $130.

Am loving the ability to Chromecast.

#4 Vance92, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  5. reisb

reisb Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    Is there a way to see how long since fully charge? is used to show 1d 17h etc...

Also,do you guys turn battery saver on or off? Location services on/off?

Question above, any way to see how long since last charged?

I selected optimize display brightness based on available light. In the dark, it made screen brighter and I can still adjust. How do I work auto brightness correctly?

#5 reisb, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
  6. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    There's no way (that I know of) to see a straight forward hours since charged. But if you look at the graph in the battery settings, you can see where you were at 100% last. It should be a pretty good estimate. You can see it was around 5:20-5:30 or whatever time it shows.

As for the adaptive brightness, it works differently than the past auto brightness. You set a manual brightness and it will adjust up or down slightly, depending on lighting conditions, if the adaptive brightness is enabled.

The only thing I can think of that would cause your brightness to increase in dark conditions is that your sensor picked up a light source. Whether a lamp or TV or whatever, something probably hit it just right and it assumed you were in brighter conditions.

marctronixx likes this.
  7. Bryan Johnson

Bryan Johnson Newbie
    None

Dec 17, 2014
    What are some of the best widget apps for this tablet? I know its broad, but, I am looking for more performance apps

#7 Bryan Johnson, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  8. jimingo

jimingo Member
    None

Jul 14, 2012
    Male
    IT
    Maryland, US
    I use the following widgets: Ever note, Pushbullet, Stock Calendar, Tvshow favs, Gmail, Google Play Music.

Bryan Johnson likes this.
  9. systemofadown

systemofadown Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    North Carolina
    I've noticed that the magnets in my N9 keep it safe from slips while placed on say a metal (ferrous of course) desk or cabinet. Just a cool observation I thought I'd share :)

Brian706 likes this.
  10. Bryan Johnson

Bryan Johnson Newbie
    None

Dec 17, 2014
    What is the best eBook reader platform for our tablets? I plan on purchasing a fee textbooks for my grad school classes, and would like to be able to take notes, highlight, and read with ease. Let me know if anyone have any suggestions.

11. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    Have you tried Google books that comes preinstalled?

marctronixx likes this.
  12. Bryan Johnson

Bryan Johnson Newbie
    None

Dec 17, 2014
    Yup!! After failing with kindle services and returning a few textbooks, I ended up purchasing two through google books, two through barnes and nobles, and two in textbook form.

13. Brettb21

Brettb21 Lurker
    None

Feb 17, 2015
    Male
    Hey all, new here with a Nexus 9 for the past day - very happy with the purchase but had a question for anyone who may be able to help.

Prior to purchasing, I had been using my wife's nexus 7 religiously. I bought a few movies and a season series. I was looking to transfer some of these over to mine. I was able to add her account to mine and vice versa where I can switch between them where she can access my books and youtube subscriptions and it worked flawlessly. On the other hand, movies/tv shows never sync. Does this just not work? Or is there a different way to do it? Thanks in advance !

Was able to get it to work, looks like she had to change emails when setting hers up (diff from google play) and I had used the old one - thanks!

/thread

#13 Brettb21, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015
    marctronixx likes this.
Tags: