• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tips n Tricks thread.

Folks, I may have found something & appreciate if other could try this out to confirm or deny!

When I am in the Idle (wish they had a better name for that BTW..) I have 7 pages currently. If I am on page, 1, 2 , 5 , 6, 7 AND I press the home button hold for a smaller duration it jumps to page 4 of the idle screens - like a home page - home page.

The hold is longer than a quick click but not long enough to bring up the recent/Task manager popup. See how you go.

ps. I have SGS2, Optus Aust. 2.3.3.

I just tried this with my new (1 day old) SGS2 on 2.3.3
I am on Voda though.

I actually get a Recent apps window with the option of going to Task Manager button in the bottom as well .... now that's cool

Upvote 0
And just to show it
p965639184-3.jpg

Upvote 0
If you would like to speed up the GPS lock and connection time on the Galaxy SII...

Try this...

Settings > Location and security > ensure the the 3 boxes under My location are ticked.

Now download and install, free from the Market, GPS Status.

Remove the sim card from your phone and reboot it.

Open GPS Status (preferably outdoors with a clear view of the sky) and select Menu > Tools > Manage A-GPS state > Reset

Now select Menu > Tools > Manage A-GPS state > Download

Now just leave it for as long as it takes to get a solid lock on at least 6 Sat's (preferably more... 9->11 would be good). This can take 20 min's or more but be patient,

When you have achieved this then select GPS Status Menu > Settings > GPS & Sensors > Auto-download AGPS data > choose how often you would like the data to be updated (1 hour -> 3 days... I have mine set for 6 hours) > tick the 3 boxes (GPS required/Lock to GPS speed/Filter the GPS speed, if required) and choose your Sensor filtering.

Now power off your phone and replace Sim card and reboot.

N.B. Please ensure you have no Task Managers or anything that will close or interfere with this app.

Once rebooted you should find an improvement in accuracy and speed of your GPS.

Hope this helps you. :D

I'm trying this on my girlfriends sgs2 at the moment. In a week it has only ever locked on once, then an hour later it couldn't lock on within 15 minutes and we had got where we were going. If this doesn't work it's going back to the orange shop tomorrow for exchange.

For comparison, my nokia N8 will get a lock in under 10s every time, even if I haven't used it for a few weeks.

Upvote 0
edit: Damn I just realised, this has already been posted. 1973 didnt turn up in the search results for this thread though, odd!

The call volume through the headset on the S2 is notoriously quiet, the following will help increase the volume through the headset.

note: Use the menu key->Key input to enter values

1. Open the dialler
2. Dial *#*#197328640#*#*
3. Navigate through the following menus:
(5) Audio
(1) Voice call
(2) Headset
(1) Volume
(1) SRC Speech RX Volume
4. Enter 5100. This sets the maximum level (5) to the maximum volume (100).
5. Use the menu key, and select back six times to navigate back to the dialler.

The headset volume setting is now set to the maximum when the volume toggle switch is set to the maximum.

Note: When the phone is reset or powered off, the firmware will reset these settings back to the default, so you will have to go through this procedure again.

Hope it helps!

Is there any way to make this permanent?

Upvote 0
You can save on wifi eating up your battery by specifying a Sleep Mode policy.

Menu > Settings > Wireless and network > WiFi settings > Menu > Advanced > WiFi Sleep policy

Here you can select when to turn off wifi temporarily:
1. When screen turns off
2. Never when plugged in
3. Never

I set it to 2, so it will turn off when the screen automatically switches off (unless your charging or on USB)

Reactions: brillo40
Upvote 0
If you are having lots of problems with Force Closes and cant get to any menus because of it. You can reboot in safe mode and then tackle the problem. Power off the phone. Power on the phone and when you see the Splash screen (SGS2 Logo) hit menu fast repeatedly until you get to the home screen. If it worked you will see safe mode in the bottom left corner. To exit safe mode just reboot normally.

Upvote 0
If you would like to speed up the GPS lock and connection time on the Galaxy SII...

Try this...

Settings > Location and security > ensure the the 3 boxes under My location are ticked.

Now download and install, free from the Market, GPS Status.

Remove the sim card from your phone and reboot it.

Open GPS Status (preferably outdoors with a clear view of the sky) and select Menu > Tools > Manage A-GPS state > Reset

Now select Menu > Tools > Manage A-GPS state > Download

Now just leave it for as long as it takes to get a solid lock on at least 6 Sat's (preferably more... 9->11 would be good). This can take 20 min's or more but be patient,

When you have achieved this then select GPS Status Menu > Settings > GPS & Sensors > Auto-download AGPS data > choose how often you would like the data to be updated (1 hour -> 3 days... I have mine set for 6 hours) > tick the 3 boxes (GPS required/Lock to GPS speed/Filter the GPS speed, if required) and choose your Sensor filtering.

Now power off your phone and replace Sim card and reboot.

N.B. Please ensure you have no Task Managers or anything that will close or interfere with this app.

Once rebooted you should find an improvement in accuracy and speed of your GPS.

Update

You can also download Faster fix, free from the Market. Just select your location (sometimes, as in my case, a different location to the obvious one, works better) and your fix time should improve.

I first ran it with GPS disabled on the phone and relied on WiFi for my initial fix before switching GPS back on. My fix time now is around 7-10 sec's.

Hope this helps you. :D

Hi I tried this but I couldn't work out how to do step 5 (Now select Menu > Tools > Manage A-GPS state > Download) without a SIM card or data connection.

Have you missed a step?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones