1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Tips n Tricks thread.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by loony, May 14, 2011.

1. sharkhark

sharkhark Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    Franchise Owner
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    i did the first two parts..but when you say to pick multipicture and i do..and i try to use settings to customize, i dont see where in settings specifically i configure each screen. i get a ton of different options and settings but none that seem obvious on how to actually use settings to change each screen.
    i must be missing something obvious...sorry. i just get a screen saying screen 1 is unavailable need to setup or reload. but i try to set up and dont know how. help?

Advertisement

2. davedrastic

davedrastic Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2011
    Hi All,

I've recently purchased a Galaxy S 2 on Vodafone (Australia) and I use it for both business and personal use. I'm new to Android and haven't really taken time out to learn all there is to know about Android, although I am loving it from what i've used so far. Sooo much better than my Nokia N97. At the moment I'm mainly using the phone as a phone, but overtime I'll play with MP3, internet, email and even VoIP. To get me started it would be great if I could get some help with the following...

- When making (and probably when receiving, not sure) a call, the screen blanks out after a short time (less than 30 seconds?) during the phone call. This is a little problematic as in order to end the phone call I have to press the button on the right hand side, then press end call. This takes several seconds and it would be much more convenient if the screen was on throughout the call so that I can press "end call", or even the button on the headset for it to finish. How do I keep the screen on throughout all phone calls?

- Is there any advice in regards to stereo bluetooth headsets. I use the phone to make a lot of work related calls and I'm currently using the supplied in ear headphones which are very good. Having said that though when I use the in ear headphones I can't actually hear myself speak very clearly, as I have the headphones in my ear. I didn't have this issue with my previous Nokia in ear headphones which were the more traditional foam type of headphone, as opposed the the new(ish) style of rubber in ear headphones - not sure what you call these new ones. I do like the headphones very much, but i'm not sure if I'm supposed to stick them in my ear, or have them half in, half out.

I'm interested in trying a bluetooth headset with the phone when I make work calls, and also my Cisco work phone has a bluetooth function so I'm interested in being able to use a headset with the work phone and the mobile. I also like the idea of being able to listen to music via bluetooth headset.

I've owned an early Nokia bluetooth (1) headset for several years and i've only used it a few times as I've only wanted to use that for listening to music whilst walking / exercising and I found that it would cut out too easily even when the phone was in my shirt top pocket. I'm not sure if that would be the fault of the phones or the headset, but i'm guessing its the headset. Do you think it might work better with the Samsung Galaxy S2?

One of the reasons I went for the Galaxy S2 was because of Bluetooth 3.0 which I presume and hope means that it now works as it ought to have years ago, and I'm keen to invest in a quality stereo bluetooth headset that I can use quite extensively. I'm not finding too much out there in the market, so it would be great if someone can point me in the right direction.

I do have a Sony Playstation bluetooth headset as well which I've only used a couple of times - I think I feel more comforable with over the head headsets.

- At some stage I'm going to try to setup a VoIP client on the Galaxy and use it with a VoIP provider. I used Fring on my Nokia N97 althought couldn't quite get it to work as it should. Is Fring on the Galaxy, and is it the best VoIP client?

- I've not looked at setting up emails as yet - is the built in email client the best email client, or are there better free or cheap options?

- I got the phone within the last week from Vodafone - should I upload firmware? How do I go about doing that - is there a link to walk me through it? Will I lose data (I'm about to load up my MP3s)

- Can I use the playlist that I put together on my Nokia N97? How do I do that?

Thanks guys, I'll try to look through some of the thread over the next weeks. I'm not very technical and I'm not sure how much of Android I want to learn - I don't have much brain space nowadays. But I guess if Android is here to stay it's probably worthwhile to become adept at it.

3. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Hi dave.

Sorry I cant answer your questions, but the one I can help on is the firmware. If you want to wait for Vodafone to issue its official branded versions of the firmware via Kies then that's fine, but you can be waiting for months and months before they filter through, as carriers always bolt on their own apps etc (bloatware)

If you want to download the latest firmwares that are not carrier specific (and invalidate your warranty) then you can do so via Odin. There are millions of threads on this, but the place to find the firmwares is here

Not sure why you posted this in the Tips n Tricks thread tho dave?
    Couldn't you have started a new thread of your own for this?
    Mods: Suggest both this post and dave's be placed in a new thread.

4. sharkhark

sharkhark Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    Franchise Owner
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    hi, way too many questions in just one post....for me to answer. so i have picked just one. your screen is supposed to turn off when making a call. it has sensors to turn it off. why?
    because it senses you are putting the phone to your face, like the iphone does as well and most smart phones. if it didnt turn off then it would be on and your face touching it with it on would accidentally hit various buttons on the screen...get it??
    i had an old phone without this feature and you hit stuff all the time. however you word it that you have to hit all these various things once you finish a call.
    that is not correct. when you pull the phone away from your face during a call, it will in a few seconds light up again, then you can hit end call. this is a feature you want...without it...would be a problem.

5. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 2, 2008
    Male
    Senior software developer
    UK
    Does your phone randomly reboot or power down?

Chances are, like me your battery is very slightly too small for the case and it comes away from the terminals just enough to power down the phone.

Solution: Get a couple of post-it notes, and fold them in half twice and fold it around the bottom of the battery. Put the battery back, and tear off any excess paper that is sticking out. The paper should be between the bottom of the battery and the bottom of the case, and not on between the battery and the cover.

This worked for me, now my phone no longer shuts off when it is in my pocket.

6. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert
    None

Jul 7, 2011
    UK
    wow. am blown away by having to do a diy post-it repair job on a

7. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 2, 2008
    Male
    Senior software developer
    UK

8. trids

trids Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    /\/
    If you have forgotten to put your phone on silent, and it starts making a noise at the worst possible moment, don't fumble for a suitable key sequence to turn off sound ... simply place a finger over the external speaker slots which you will find if you turn the phone over, at the bottom right corner. Roughly behind the virtual "menu" button when viewed from the front.

Of course, just flipping it onto its face often does the trick too (if it's an incoming call for example), but it's useful to have a backup trick that can be executed quickly in a tight spot.

9. trids

trids Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    /\/
    You can trigger the reflow of text for a custom zoom (in browsers and emails for example) by briefly tilting the phone into landscape mode and then back into portrait.

Works with stock email client, stock browser and Dolphin HD - where promises such as "double tapping after custom zoom" fail. Firefox is the only exception so far.

For the record, there are some pages that are "hardcoded" .. particularly some of the local news sites in my area! And these will resist ALL attempts to reflow. But that's not the fault of the SGS2 ;)

10. Remeniz

Remeniz Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Computer Tech & Audio Engineer
    Peterborough - UK
    Open up the dialer and type in *#0*# for the LCD TEST menu.

Here you'll find the Red, Green and Blue check, Sensors, Touch and Camera checks/tests.

:cool:

Ceram likes this.
  11. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    UPDATED FOR ICS

Please read carefully.

Bloatware
    is the in-built app's that carriers and, or, handset manufacturers add to the stock Android firmware. At best, they can just clutter up your app drawer and at worst they can slow your phone down and use up your battery.

Remember... one persons bloatware can be another persons, "must have" app.

Some bloatware can be got rid of by rooting and flashing a generic (non-carrier) firmware. This can rid you of a particular operators app's that you may not use or want.

However, you cannot remove the built-in app's that carriers and manufacturers include in their ROM's by using uninstall.

To prevent these from running you will need to do the following:-

1. Your phone must be rooted. Sorry, but there is no other way to remove these app's.

To root your phone, see here:-

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...t/482994-rooting-galaxy-s2-dummies-guide.html

2. You will need to download and install Titanium Backup, free, from the Android Market. See here:-

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&feature=search_result

3. You will also need to download and install Titanium Backup PRO Key, about

marcus33, fairhsa, PeterMcC and 11 others like this.
  12. Jardaani

Jardaani Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    I just LOVE this hint!

13. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    For problems with a specific app on the phone, try clearing the cache:

Go to menu > settings > applications > <name of your application> > clear cache.

Then turn off the phone, pull the battery, put it back in and then turn the phone back on.

This solves probably 8/10 force close issues for me. It seems that occasionally the cache/data stored by apps can get corrupted and cause problems.

14. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Dial *#*#4636#*#* for loads of tests

Phone information
    Battery information
    Usage statistics
    Wifi information

15. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    Tip: if you have Pinball HD for Tegra, do not update it to the most recent version as it causes the menus to be invisible (you can still press where the options were to change boards though etc), thus breaking it.

16. jpayee

jpayee Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    you can turn off the shutter sound by turning off the system sound in
    Settings>Sounds>Volume>System
    It works on me.

17. Leonne

Leonne Member
    None

For those having problems taking screenshots, leave the Home Button pushed for like a second first. THEN press the Power Button. Works for me every time.

18. loony

loony Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    australia
    - or just press both and let go of the power button first
    - jpayee, only certain firmware lets you do this. some can, some cant...but good tip anyway.

19. ironass

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    In the unfortunate event of getting your phone wet...

1. DO NOT TURN IT ON!. (Even a hint of moisture can short circuit your phone irreparably or costly). Liquid damage is not covered by warranty.

2. Immediately remove the back cover and battery.

3. Gently, and carefully, dry the components with kitchen paper. (DO NOT use a hairdryer or similar as this can damage components and force liquid further into phone).

4. Take a plastc (tupperware) container and fill it with dry, uncooked, rice and place your phone, wrapped in kitchen towel, in the centre of it.

5. Leave for 2-3 days in a warm place like an airing cupboard.

6. Remove and reassemble. Offer up a prayer and switch on.

7. Get your phone checked out as soon as possible by your local mobile phone shop in case corrosion sets in.

Hope this helps. :D

20. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    If you think your phone may be bricked and wont turn on, try a soft reset (possibly followed by a hard reset)

1. Take out the battery, then press and hold the ON button for about 10 seconds or so. Replace the battery, then press ON button to try to switch on. This is a soft reset, and wipes the temporary memory and empties all remaining power in the circuits.

2. If this does not work, do as above but after inserting the battery, press and hold the ON+HOME buttons at the same time for 10 seconds or so again. This is a hard reset, and works best if done after a soft reset, so always try the soft reset first.

filbert, marcus33, brutos and 3 others like this.
  21. euroemkay2

euroemkay2 Newbie
    None

Oct 16, 2009
    Electrician
    LI, NY
    Is there a reason this isn't working for me. i type in that exact number and nothing happened.

22. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Advanced steps to take for Kies connection problems

1. Ensure your phone is not in USB debugging mode:
    Go to Settings, Applications, Development and make sure USB debugging is switched off.
    2. Press the Home Key your GS2 and make sure it is not locked. If it is, unlock it.
    3. Plug the USB cable into the PC.
    4. Plug the other end into the GS2.
    5a. Pre KH3: You will now see a picture of a USB connector entitled MTP Application, with a message on the bottom saying Connected Press home key to quit Samsung Kies.
    5b. KH3+: You will see an MTP-Initialization message in the notification bar. If successful you will shortly see that message change to MTP Connected.
    6. Keep tapping the screen of your GS2 so that it does not shut off (and possibly activate the phone's lock if you have one set). Keep doing this until you get to step 14 below.
    7. Wait for Windows to pop up an Auto Play window.
    8. Select Open device to view files using Windows Explorer
    9. In the window that this opens, double click Phone.
    10. Keep this window open, minimize it if you want to. If it remains open for any length of time (10+ seconds) then you have a great chance.
    11. Open Kies. As long as Windows Explorer's Phone window is still open then you will probably find Kies detects the GS2.
    12. Kies should now be attempting to connect to your GS2.
    13. Once connected you will see your phone appear in the top left of Kies
    14. Begin using Kies.

If unsuccessful along any of these step then give it a few attempts. Dont just give up after the first connection failure to do something more drastic. I have had the Auto Play window (point 8) not popping up at all after connection, or it pops up, stays open only for a few seconds, and it closes itself. If this happens, unplug the USB from the GS2 and repeat from step 4.
    If reconnecting the cable at the GS2 end keeps failing after several attempts, unplug both ends of the USB cable and repeat from step 2.
    If this again keeps failing, unplug both ends of the USB cable and try a few more times in another USB port, repeating from step 2. If it still continues to fail each time then more drastic action is required:

If you can NEVER get your PC to see your GS2
    You need to wipe all existence of Kies from your PC and try again. To do this follow these steps:

Open up your PC's Device Manager (right click Computer, Properties, Device Manager) then plug in the USB cable and connect cable to GS2. You may find that the device list refreshes every second or two and the device does not get added. If the Auto Play window pops up, then device manager will stop refreshing and you will see your GT-I9100 appear under the Portable Devices section. If Auto Play does not pop up, Device Manager will continually refresh. This indicates a problem:
    1. Uninstall Kies
    2. If you were previously on a version of Kies prior to 2.3.0.12035_16_4, run program files\samsung\usb drivers\uninstall.exe (This is important! This does not get done on a Kies uninstall if you are on a version of Kies prior to 2.3.1.12044_18 10)
    3. Reboot
    4. Delete the Samsung folder from Program Files.
    5. If you want to be even more thorough, run a free utility called CCleaner on the files and registry, and if your confident, remove anything that references program files\samsung in the registry using regedit. (You have to know what your doing with regedit, as it is possible to "break" your PC if you do something wrong).
    6. Reboot then reinstall Kies.
    7. Plug in your GS2.

Do not rely on Kies to detect new version, as it will only detect major increment leaps.
    It will ignore the last number, and will only detect a change if the first group of numbers in the version have changed. (See this thread)

Personally I think that all these problems we are having do not lie with the Kies software itself, but with Samsung's USB drivers for the device, as I've seen the Auto Play window disappear after a few minutes when not even opening the Kies software, thereby constant refreshing in Windows Device Manager occurs. I dread to think what would occur if this happened in the middle of performing a firmware upgrade!!

Just remember, plug+play your GS2 isn't. It's more like plug+pray!

If you simply cannot connect to Kies at all, then try the following:
    1. Open up your dialer
    2. Dial *#7284# This opens up the PhoneUtil menu

There are 2 sections:
    UART
    MODEM
    PDA

USB
    MODEM
    PDA

3. Ensure PDA is selected for USB. If it already selected to PDA, try reselecting it by selecting Modem, then PDA.
    4. Press the Back key
    5. Retry Kies

Download the latest version of Kies and manuals here
    Download the USB Drivers only

Related Thread

filbert, wandrew, marcus33 and 14 others like this.
  23. ironass

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Cotswolds, England
    Errr... no! :D

24. semus

semus Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2011
    Male
    I wanted to ask - why change only "5_lvl" and not all the other ones as well? do the other ones do something else?
    is there any way to make it into like a button in the homescreen to shortcut the whole process?
    Thanks

25. bowker678

bowker678 Lurker
    None

Oct 6, 2011
    Manchester
    you can set the power button to end calls if this is easier, go to MENU, SETTINGS, CALL, CALL ANSWERING/ENDING power key ends calls, much easier if you hold with your right hand!