1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Tips n Tricks thread.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by loony, May 14, 2011.

1. s2user

s2user Lurker
    None

Dec 30, 2011
    I don't know, but the same thing is happening to me. It's a new phone, updated to 2.3.6 and I have replaced the 'Messaging' icon with the 'Email' icon in the bottom section of the Home screen. Everytime the phone is switched off (or reboots by itself) the 'Email' icon disappears and leaves the remaining 3 icons only.

Advertisement

2. mrbiggzz79

mrbiggzz79 Lurker
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    how do u make the useragent stay to desktop for good?

3. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Or you could just tap the top of the notification bar

Settings, applications, manage applications, all tab. Then scroll down to whatever launcher you are using and clear data and cache. This will reset your homescreens to default so make a note of where everything is, but the next time you set everything up it should stay put.

I don't think its possible on the standard stock browser. I have only seen the option on modified stock browsers which come with some custom roms or third party browsers such as dolphin

mrbiggzz79 likes this.
  4. edzville

edzville Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    You organize your apps into folders and rename the folders by long pressing the "X"/exit button. =)

5. s2agarwal

s2agarwal Newbie
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    Great Tips- For Battery Life. Put your phone Screen timeout under 1 min. It works well. Yes, one more is : Turn on Wireless and other services only when necessary, as they consume more battery.

6. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    Make sure the 'phone' app is closed when not being used, sometimes you back out of it and go back to the homescreen after a call, but it is still running (mainly from homekey use, but not always), this can empty the battery even while being charged.

7. park13

park13 Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2012
    Don't know if it's been said but hold on the notification bar far right side will make your phone to the brightest level and as you move towards the left side of the bar it'll decrease the brightness.

8. DroidsNotRoids

None

Sep 14, 2011
    Software Development
    Western Cape, South Africa
    This might be obvious, or not so obvious, but I'm going to post it anyway.

If you have 2-step verification enabled on your Google account, you might have set up an application-specific password for your phone to access your Google account. If ever you get signed out of your phone, like in my case my phone went in for repairs, just turn off 2-step verification on your Google account and sign into your phone with your usual Google password.

PS: I just struggled for three days before figuring this out and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

9. hobocop

hobocop Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Importing iTunes playlist to your phone:

I had trouble with Kies loading a larger music library, it crashes after loading only a few thousand songs. You can instead make a playlist on iTunes (which can handle huge libraries of music) and load it onto your phone:

1. Create a new folder somewhere on your PC
    2. Open the iTunes playlist you want to export
    3. Select all the songs in the playlist and drag them to the new folder

This makes copies of all the MP3s in just the playlist without affecting your original media folders or itunes.

Then simply cut and paste from the new folder to an appropriate folder on the phone and you're done.

10. AmitX123

AmitX123 Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    Should we do it with battery compartment closed or open? Wouldn't it be tricky if some of the rice grains get into the one of the tiny holes in the back of the phone. I would probably do it with the compartment closed.. But then there are other holes in the phone, which I'd be worried about, so better to place it in some kind of fine mesh before putting it in.

djoerk likes this.
  11. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Cover off, battery out.
    You're only placing the phone on top of the rice. You dont have to ram it in and cover it completely with rice.

kezbabybabe and djoerk like this.
  12. blahsaysmeu2u

blahsaysmeu2u Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    roanoke va
    this is great guys. i dont have this phone but some of these tricks work on my phone too. appreciate all the updated posts as well.

13. led hed

led hed Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2012
    civil engineering
    Apsley On CAN
    hey folks, i have the Otterbox Commuter case and the 2000mah extended battery. we know they don't fit well together, stock. what i did:

took rubber insert, cut the flat back out to make more room for the new the new 'thicker' back cover. if you look at the Neo Hybrid Ex, i cut the back to look similar. in essence, making a 'ring' out of the rubber insert.

works great! and i get to keep my otterbox.

(didn't know which 'tip' section to post in, there's two sections, this one more active)

14. djoerk

djoerk Lurker
    None

Apr 8, 2012
    I find the Samsung Glaxy S2 ringtones useless - too soft. I have downloaded some of my sounds but they are not appearing on screen to alloate.

I am a very very new newbie - so apologise in advance if some of my questions are DOH-making. :eek:

15. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    Put all your ringtones in a folder called RINGTONES

It should then appear as a phone selection when you specify ringtones. The folder can be placed either in the phone memory or external microSD. And the folder can also be a subfolder in a folder called music, or any which way you want to organize your files. Android will pick it up.

Although this might be the wrong place to ask this, since this section is to give tips, not ask for it....

Gearu likes this.
  16. eribar

eribar Lurker
    None

Apr 8, 2012
    I had tried everything to get my GT-I5800 to connect to Kies and nothing worked. I followed this and it connected immediately. I think it is the 7284 fix which actually did it.

My PC was showing the phone as a Modem in the 'Devices and Printers' when I connected it by cable, and the auto connect option was not appearing at all. After the 7284 fix auto connect popped up and 'Devices and Printers' shows the phone. Now how do I get those three days of my life back spent trying to get the thing to connect?? Thanks Samsung:mad:

17. Stonecold2438

Stonecold2438 Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2012
  18. Jafreiteris

Jafreiteris Member
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    Dont know if that was posted, its a little stuff i discovered yesterday. As many you knowed, pressing severial times in 'android version' who is located in Settings-> about phone directory, a photo apears (in GB was zombie paiting) Now it changed, (if you updated your device to ICS 4.0.3) to a picture of a android, with body is ice cream. Now the good part, try holding your tumb on it for couple of seconds. :)

19. Welsh Guy

Welsh Guy Newbie
    None

Apr 17, 2011
    UK
    lol. Love it

plum likes this.
  20. Welsh Guy

Welsh Guy Newbie
    None

Apr 17, 2011
    UK
    There have been a few posts on how to take a screen shot using the Gingerbread version of Android on the SG2. However when the phone is upgraded to ICS 4.0.3 (T-Mobile in the UK) the key combination changes. It on ICS press the volume down and power butons at the same time. Took me a few attempts to get the knack as I kept turning the volume down rather than take a screen shot. However, once I got the hang of it I can do it every time.

Col101 and Kie like this.
  21. Kie

Kie Android Expert
    None

Oct 7, 2011
    Risk and Safety Engineer
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for the tip! Works for AOSP/AOKP roms and probably stock ICS. On Sammy-based ICS roms, the combination is Power + Home as before.

22. lotharmat

lotharmat Lurker
    None

May 10, 2012
    If you are having trouble with the screenshot combo - power +down vol:

Press them both at the same time and hold for 1 second - works flawlessly!

23. 1981

1981 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 17, 2010
    Hi, is there any option to find out the manufacturing date of the handset? Also whether there have been any repairs done on it till date. Thank you.

24. Megaxyu

Megaxyu Newbie
    None

Apr 27, 2011
    Toronto
    Hi all, is there any way to have the log button (as in the one on top you select from contacts menu as in Logs, Contacts,Favorites,Groups) on the main screen as a single click?

So I don't have to first go to contacts and then select it ? Maybe make a shortcut to it somehow ?

25. Jafreiteris

Jafreiteris Member
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    Two things i noticed, was not knowed that from beggining, so maybe someone also does not know this.

1. You can flip your caculator, giving you aditional matematic options, like caculating square root, sin, cons, and more.
    2. Microbe and nexus live wallpapers are touch sensitive, for example if you touch in nexus live wallpaper free space (not swipe it) you will see a new row. With microbes is difrent, if you tap on free space, the white dots will apear, and the colored ones will going to 'eat it' . Also if you tap on 'microbes', they will schater. By playing so be couple of minutes, i noticed that coulored dots multiply as you feed them, and my phone filled with them :)