1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General Tips needed on buying a used EVO 3D

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by phillydoug, Sep 22, 2011.

1. phillydoug

phillydoug Member
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    Kansas City
    Hey Everyone!

I'm a long time lurker here anxiously waiting for the right opportunity to dump my Pre!

My top choice right now is the EVO 3D. I really like what I've read about the speed of the phone and it's ability to support EVDO Rev-B (at least that's the rumor).

Anyway, I found one on Craigslist for $150 that is advertised as like new with original box and charges. The ad says it has a clean ESN. My plan is to check the ESN by calling Sprint prior to making the deal.

I also want to play with it for a bit to make sure everything is all good. This seems like a good place to find out what I should look for to make sure the device is good to go or if I should walk away from it. Any advice or tips?

I'm skeptical because the price is $150 for a like new/clean ESN device. It just seems too low to me.

Thanks! Looking forward to becoming a regular around these parts once I finally get an Android device.

Cheers!
    -DW

Advertisement

marctronixx likes this.
  2. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/396177-how-much-did-you-buy-your-used-like-new-evo-3d.html

seems that price point has been on CL for a bit. the above post in the thread posted was back on 15 august.

well i would advise you if you have not seen the EVO 3D in person, head over to a store to play with it. take photos (better yet bring a SD card you can save the photos to) and look at the demo movie (hornet) OR make your own movie right there in the store.

in terms of physical appearance, there are light leaks mentioned and one or two complained about the camera section on the back was crooked a bit (this is super rare!) but thats it. the build quality is sound on the 3D so there is not much that is wrong with it.

if you have been a lurker here then you know first hand how well the 3D has been doing.

also, you can get a brand new one for 200 bux with contract or cheaper possibly at target, walmart, etc do make sure you shop around. id rather pay 50 more dollars for a brand new unit any day.

happy shopping.

phillydoug likes this.
  3. phillydoug

phillydoug Member
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    Kansas City
    Thanks! Yeah spending $50 more to get a brand new one is a good idea, but I'm on a tight budget for a while. It sounds like $150 is reasonable as long as the phone checks out. I will carry insurance on it just in case. :)

If it doesn't work out on CL for $150, then I will save some more $$ for a new one!

I'm just chompin' at the bit....

Cheers!
    -DW

marctronixx likes this.
  4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    $150 for a no-contract Evo 3D isn't all that bad. The safety conscious part of my brain would rather have the $200 contract one, though.

The only other difference would be if you plan on rooting. Sure, the HTC unlock method works fairly well, but it's also a big pain in the ass. Where as this guy may be selling one that isn't updated all the way. Food for thought.

Edit: Oh, I forgot how to mention how you can check. The easiest way would be to hit the menu button > Settings > About Phone > Software Information and look at the Android version. Assuming it isn't already rooted, 2.3.4 will generally mean it's got HBOOT 1.5, which requires the HTC unlock.

The best way to check it is to turn it off with fast boot off. Hold down the volume button and push the power button to turn it on. The bootloader will appear and the version will be shown in the top. 1.3 and 1.4 can be rooted with revolutionary. 1.5 can only be rooted with HTC unlock.

marctronixx and phillydoug like this.
  5. phillydoug

phillydoug Member
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    Kansas City
    Thanks, I appreciate the input! The more and more I think about it buying one on contract sounds like the best option for me. I'm on an employee advantage club plan, so I have to buy it through Sprint. I keep waiting for that $50 price drop, but not sure if that'll happen soon enough or not. My guess is they'll drop it before the holidays, but that's purely a guess.

Anyway, getting a brand new one sounds like the better option. I'll keep my eyes open for a new in box EVO 3D on CL and then test out my negotiating skills.

As far as root goes, I will probably root eventually. I need to learn more about it though. Since this will be my first Android device, I'll ease into it. I understand there is risk in potentially bricking a phone but I also thought I read you could unbrick your phone (maybe that depends on the device?). I know that's opening an entire new topic. Bottom line is I don't have the funds (first baby coming @ xmas - holy cow childcare is expensive!) to buy a new one if I brick it permanently.

Cheers!
    -DW

marctronixx likes this.
  6. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Early congrats on the little one! And sounds like contract is better for you, then.

But hard bricking (meaning completely unrecoverable) is very rare. More often than not, people 'soft' brick their phones by flashing something improperly and don't know how to use recovery. Recovery only takes a few minutes to restore a backup and the phone is back 100%. But we'll save the details until you're ready.

marctronixx and phillydoug like this.
  7. phillydoug

phillydoug Member
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    Kansas City
    Thanks! Good to know there is a hard and soft brick. So by rare are we talking 1/100 or more like 1/5000?

8. ws6dom

ws6dom Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 18, 2010
    If you have a sams club in your area, I believe they dropped the price of the evo 3d to 49.99 on contract of course.. Hope that helps.

jerofld and marctronixx like this.
  9. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Like so rare that I've yet to hear of someone hard bricking one but the possibility exists. There have been a lot of people who have tread that path before you that you should easily be able to find information on how to perform the functions and see solutions to common problems. Especially on this forum and XDA.

phillydoug likes this.
  10. phillydoug

phillydoug Member
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    Kansas City
    Thansk, that's really good to know and makes me feel much more comfortable.

I'm assuming you have rooted your 3D? What is your setup like as far as Kernel and the ROM?

11. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Currently, I'm on Synergy with the Ziggy's kernel. I'm waiting for Cyanogen 7 to be more complete, then going to give CM7 w/ Taimat kernel a go.

marctronixx likes this.
  12. phillydoug

phillydoug Member
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    Kansas City
    Thanks for all the info. I ended up ordering the original EVO. My budget was a $150 and I had to buy it through Sprint (advantage club plan). This way I can get the EVO plus case. I didn't want to gamble on a used Evo 3D. Since I'm coming from a Pre, the EVO is going to fell like a Cadillac anyway. :D

I appreciate the info on rooting. I'm definitely going to root my EVO. I briefly checked out the root forum for the EVO and it was a little overwhelming. I'll have to dig and see what a good ROM would be for me (i want hotspot, improved battery life and fast). I'm sure I'll find something.

Catch you on the flipside!

Cheers!
    -DW

marctronixx likes this.
Tags: