• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tired of laggy Jelly Bean - what to do?

I bought a VM SG Victory in the beginning of this year and loved it. Unfortunately I got mugged and had to buy another one later in the year. The new one came with Jellybean and it has been nothing but slow, laggy and painful ever since.

Finally found some time to sit down and research and it looks like other people have had this problem, but I can't find any recent threads.

So I'd like to ask, what's the current wisdom on how to fix this?

I saw from an earlier thread - rreoken says, "I got my phone as close to buttery as possible by installing TWRP with odin. Then in TWRP I installed SuperSU without installing busybox. Then I rebooted and updated SuperSU in the marke, then I updated the SuperSU binary. I installed ROM Toolbox Pro and uninstalled several bloats." (Can't post the link as a new user)

What exactly is twrp and odin? What's a recovery? Which rom should I install?
I'm a newb (but also a coder) so any explanations, pitfalls will help.

Planning on using a guide named [VIRGINMOBILE][GUIDE][BASIC][WIP] Rooting for Newbies! (Can't post the link as a new user).

Thanks!

Installing twrp recovery and supersu is rooting the phone. The thread I linked to will show the method for the victory. I haven't really had any lag problems since the jelly bean update. But rooting and removing bloatware will definitely help. After rooting you could also install custom kernel to overclock the processor

Upvote 0
Yeah I have VM too.
So far I've heard of Victorious and now Conquest.
I'm looking for stability first, performance second and features last.
Any thoughts on how Victorious and Conquest stack up in that regard?

Edit: I don't care that much for newer features but I really want the basic stuff to work - stable wifi and 4g, BT and camera. I hear some of the roms don't have this stuff working yet?

Upvote 0
All of that works on both victorious and conquest. The only Roms that don't have everything working are the cyanogen ports. Victorious was great but the developer is no longer available or updating it, but its still good. Conquest is great as well and the developer is still updating and very actively supporting it. For someone new to Roms and stuff I would definitely recommend conquest. Moonknightus (developer) is very good about help and support. Its in another forum though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones