• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Titanium Backup and factory reset ?'s

Teegunn

Android Expert
Apr 7, 2010
Running the OTA 2.2 and I am rooted. I use ADW with with the Sense skin. I am going to do a factory reset of my phone and want to return it to the state it is currently in including all apps, app info (like game saves, etc), contacts, text history, pictures, etc. What is the proper protocol to get my phone back to the state it is in now?

I have taken screenshots of my 7 homecreens already.

I do not want to lose any of my game save info (for tower raiders for instance) nor my text message history. Will TB back all that up and restore?

Is it necessary to reformat the SD card also? And if so, should I make a separate backup of the SD card to my PC before reformatting it?

Bottom line: Does TB do a comprehensive enough backup to get my phone back to the state it is in now or are there other measures one should take before doing a factory reset

Thanks!

It won't do text messages, contacts or pictures etc. Basically, it only does apps + app data.

The tools you'll need to use to backup your stuff depends on where it's saved. If by pictures you mean images on the sdcard, the factory reset won't harm them (or any file on the sdcard). If your contacts are google contacts they will be synced to your gmail account and will be fine (check if your contacts are listed at http://mail.google.com/). Also, if you use IMAP email (such as the normal gmail app) your emails will be fine.

Check out SMS Backup & Restore, that's the one I use.

Reformatting your sdcard probably isn't necessary, but if you decide to to it then you definitely need to back it up to the PC (Once you've done all your backups), as reformatting wipes it completely. You're not running some kind of apps2sd are you?

Reactions: Teegunn
Upvote 0
Hey thanks for the response. No, I am not running apps2sd, but I do have any apps that can be moved to sd moved over to the card. Also, thanks for the info on text messages. I had the understanding that text messages, etc WOULD be saved with a TB backup. I will check out sms back up and restore.

Contancts I also thought would be backed up by TB. I wil check the google cloud for my contact list. When I came over from my DInc not all of the contacts transferred. Pictures I assume are on the SD card. I think I will still pull the card and make a backup copy of it to my PC just to be safe.

Again, much appreciated on the info it has helped clear some things up for me before doing a factory reset!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones