1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Titanium Backup and Google Drive?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Seanette, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    homemaker, looking for a job
    Sacramento, CA
    Trying to figure out if I can use Titanium Backup with Google Drive, since I don't have enough Dropbox space for more than one or two backups.

Advertisement

2. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me!
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Female
    Masquerading as a responsible adult
    Jersey - born & bred
    I don't know if Titanium will have updated the app to do an automatic sync with Drive yet since it's so new and some people haven't been able to set it up quite yet. You could probably send them an email to inquire if it's something they're looking at doing though.

3. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    Sacramento, CA
    I did. Haven't heard back yet, but since that was yesterday, I'm not agitated yet. :)

Would be nice if I could back up to my laptop, then I could just tell the backup to go to the folder for Google Drive. ;)

4. williamreder

williamreder Lurker
    None

Jan 18, 2010
    I actually did the same thing. Now that Google Drive is finally out, I'm sure there is going to be a lot of demand for a solid Drive enabled backup program. :)

I'd be interested if you hear anything back on your request.

5. williamreder

williamreder Lurker
    None

Jan 18, 2010
    I have an update... I put in a request to Titanium Backup asking about Google Drive functionality, and they replied saying they have completed a beta version. If testing goes well, the update will be out on the android market soon.

6. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm actually testing that beta :). It didn't send to Google Drive, but that might have been user error. :)

7. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    Sacramento, CA
    I have Titanium Backup 5.1.0-test2_r262 with the same issue.

I'm also finding that my phone seems to consistently reboot after a backup is run.

The Google Drive app on my phone doesn't seem to be all that functional, either, so I suspect the syncing issue is with GDrive rather than TB.

8. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    If a developer wants to make the .apk file for a beta project public, please let them do that and you may then provide a link the the developer's site so they can keep track of who is testing for them. Please do not redistribute or link to unauthorized beta copies of apps.

9. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    Sacramento, CA
    Sorry, didn't know that was a no-no. Won't do it again. :eek:

alostpacket likes this.
  10. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    Sacramento, CA
    Update: TB can't seem to connect to GDrive (complains about credentials). Does anyone know how to deal with that?

11. reallyneatgirl

None

Feb 25, 2012
    I just checked and I don't get this problem at all. It was the first time I actually ran my google drive backup as well, so I had to go through the login process (within Titanium) and allow access. Did you allow access?

12. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    Sacramento, CA
    Probable IOHS problem, but I can't FIND the login thing you're talking about, and I am running the most current version of TB (reinstalled everything yesterday when I changed ROMs).

13. reallyneatgirl

None

Feb 25, 2012
    I didn't get to a log in screen until I actually ran the task. At that time it presented me with a popup that said I needed to login to google drive.

14. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    Sacramento, CA
    No popup occurred, it just dumped straight to the complaint in notifications. I'm going to try uninstall/reinstall.

This is weird. I cleared app data, uninstalled the app, shut down, and pulled the battery for about a minute (not plugged into the charger, either). When I put it back together, restarted, and reinstalled the app, it remembered my schedule and settings. I am not at any point getting any dialog or anything else offering me a chance to enter my login info for my Google Drive.

15. 350X

350X Android Expert
    None

How much space do you get by default with google?

Box gave me 50GB for having a LG phone for some reason, but we all know that can be eaten up quickly.

And having a back up in more then one place is a good idea.

16. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    Sacramento, CA
    Google Drive starts with 5GB free. OTOH, I STILL don't have Titanium working straight with it, as described. I really hope it's not my ROM (I'm also having trouble with Cozi login).

17. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    UK
    A Drive sync takes around 3-4 attempts to backup the 600mb or so I have whereas Dropbox works first time every time. Not sure its a Drive issue or a TiB one?

Luckily TiB starts where it left off but it means I can't set it up as a schedule. Pity because even over wifi it takes around an hour.

18. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    Sacramento, CA
    TB won't even TRY at this point. I have NEVER seen it offer any way to enter Google Drive login, and the author is not responding to requests for help.

If it's not a ROM problem (I'm using CM7 g60), then I'm at a total loss and utterly disgusted with the total lack of customer support from the author.

19. El Seven

El Seven Newbie
    None

May 1, 2012
    USA
    I just used TB to Google Drive yesterday. It works great. Not sure why anyone is having a problem, after you enable the Google Drive and then run a backup, it opens a login/pass windows for your google credentials.

20. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    Sacramento, CA
    What part of "I have NEVER seen that login window, even on a wipe/reinstall" does no one wish to acknowledge having seen posted?

21. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Android Expert
    None

Nov 22, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    I don't think anyone is calling you a liar, just posting up that they've had success. I don't think anyone else has had the same issue either so I would look at what makes your device/app/account/service/storage different than everyone else. Something there is preventing things from working the way they're supposed to. Are you running an add blocker? What ROM are you running? Have you looked to see if you can do a backup and it saves to Drive like maybe your log in credentials are already stored? Did you do a factory reset, cache wipe & davlik wipe all x2 before loading the ROM? Have you tried different ROMs? I'm out of ideas but the posts of others having continued luck are further proof that it's your variables that are causing the issue. Just a question of tracking down which variable is causing the issue.

22. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    Sacramento, CA
    I've reloaded the ROM (with of course, standard cache wiping) on a Motorola Triumph with no luck, do not think it should be necessary to totally wipe my phone (AGAIN) to get an app to behave as advertised, and am really disgusted with the author's total lack of response to reports of problems.

It does do backups, so I'm now using Cheetah Sync to get those backups onto my laptop's Google Drive folder.

That alleged function did not come out until I'd switched to CM7 Reloaded (see my poster info at left for my current ROM), and has NEVER asked for login info. If it will only work on the stock ROM, then I'll just find something else and leave a negative review for the lack of advertised functionality and (much bigger) the developer completely ignoring reports of functions not working as advertised.

Please explain why I should have to reload my entire phone TWICE? I have no desire to go through two hours of reinstalling apps again any time soon unless I have a much better reason than a failure of an app to do what it claims it will, since I do now have a kludgy workaround.

23. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Android Expert
    None

Nov 22, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    You don't have to reload your phone even once if you don't want to. If you want to get this working it's going to take effort. If you didn't clear your phone completely before loading a new ROM as instructed then you may very well have some permissions or corrupt login credentials floating around and just because you load your ROM again doesn't mean that it will ignore these if they're still there. Might also be worth trying another ROM in the process just to rule that out. I like to take a more scientific approach to things by ruling out one thing at a time but that would mean more effort on your end and you've made it seem like you're not really looking to put forth that effort. This is also part of rooting and running custom ROMs.. sometimes things just don't quite work right or require more effort to get to work. Lots of devs won't answer you if you have a custom ROM because lots of times it's the ROM that isn't stable that's causing different issues with different apps. Devs can't possibly test their app on every ROM available and if it's stable on the stock ROM then, for most, that's good enough. The rest is up to you. Just part of the rooting game.

Did you move the app to your SD card? If I get apps misbehaving I check to see if they've been moved to the SD card. If they have I move them back to the phone and 9/10 this solves the problem.

24. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    Sacramento, CA
    I've been fighting this for weeks now, so don't tell me I'm not putting out any effort.

I do not install apps to SD at all.

25. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    Sacramento, CA
    I still take the position that I should not have to reinstall my phone's operating system TWICE (and multiple clear caches/reboot cycles are not fun with a phone with a temperamental power switch) and/or have to hunt through my SD card to eliminate app data from multiple places to get the thing to work (one would think a reinstall would at least ask if the user wishes to clear app data from previous installs), but it at least purports to be now. We shall see if it works for the scheduled backup at 3am.

Still not happy with having to do some functions that are fairly advanced for someone who's only been dealing with Android less than three months to get an app to do what the developer says it will, and still REALLY annoyed by lack of feedback from the guy who's gotten two payments from my household for this app (and $6.58 is not exactly bargain basement as Android apps go).