1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Titanium Backup - CANNOT Protect Backups with Internal Storage??

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by scudder, Dec 27, 2013.

1. scudder

scudder Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2010
    Male
    Ex-attorney ("retired" at 27)...
    State of Confusion (FL too)
    Hello...

Putting this out on the general "Android Applications" board as I am pretty sure this issue is not my-phone/ROM specific.

It appears there is an issue with Titanium Backup's "Protect this backup..." option with phone utilizing internal storage. I have a rooted EVO 4G, EVO LTE with sd card but recently picked up an HTC ONE with only internal storage. I"m running into a problem where I can backup multiple copies of an apk (different versions) but the option to "Protect this backup..." choosing a specific backup to protect from accidental erasing/recycling will NOT work.

This seems to be known issue as indicated in this link but I am uncertain that the suggested fix in that link works.

Has anyone been able to correct this issue?? Is so, what was the method. Fooling a bit with the .xml file might be a little above my pay-grade unless it worked for someone...or if there is an alternative option??

I have cut and pasted the suggested "fix" below but also found at the link I indicated above.

THANKS!

Scott

----------------------------

Here is the "fix":

"Some devices don't support the "read-only" attribute for files on their storage area, which is why you are getting this error. Its a filesystem limitation on some devices that have an "internal sd card" which emulates FAT filesystem, but without offering the "read-only" attributes for files.

The simple solution, if you're rooted, is as follows:
    1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions and make sure you have mounted the file system r/w.
    2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
    3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...<group gid="media_rw" />
    4. Save the changes to the file.
    5. Restart your tablet"

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    I have no idea whether it would work, but all you want is a simple text addition right after the indicated line:
    WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
    <group gid="media_rw" />

You posted here, so I KNOW you can type text.

scudder likes this.
  3. scudder

scudder Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2010
    Male
    Ex-attorney ("retired" at 27)...
    State of Confusion (FL too)
    Ha, yeah...typin iM prety goodat ;);):D I just didn't know where to put tht text between the carets.

THANKS!