1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Titanium Backup Conversion Fee?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Thassodar, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Thassodar

Thassodar Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Texas
    So I finally broke down and bought Titanium Backup's Pro edition last week. I figured $5.99 isn't so bad and I probably should have gotten it when it was cheaper, but I didn't.

So anyways I go to check my bank account today and the charge is there (for $6.00) but right behind it there's a EFT FEE/FOREIGN CURR CONV/JOEL BOU GOOGLE.COM/CH(blah blah) tacked on for $3.00. This, in effect, makes my purchase $9. $9 for an app I didn't even necessarily NEED, but wanted to support the creator! I think there should have been some kind of notice, though, because instead of spending $6.00 I end up with an extra $3.00 extra charge of some sort and no explanation.

Is this included somewhere in the Terms of Service that I missed? I'd assume any app, foreign or not, would have their actual price (with conversion included) on the marketplace. I simply would not have bought the app if I knew it'd end up costing me $9. To some, I know, $9 isn't much but that's my LUNCH people. I have to make my own lunch at home now, which is unheard of!

Advertisement

2. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Sounds like a fee tacked on by your bank. A lot of banks are getting dirty with the little things they tag on fees for since they stuff they used to rape the consumers for to make more money is now illegal, so they're trying to maintain their gigantic paychecks.

3. Andrewdroid

Andrewdroid Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    Enterprise
    Gotham
    Seems as though banks/credit cards have recently expanded their definitions of "foreign exchange transactions" in order to sock people with fees. Guaranteed that what's been written about in this link has become even worse.

Fee Alert: Watch Out for the New Foreign Transaction Fees

4. Tristessie

Tristessie Newbie
    None

Dec 2, 2010
    Wow. Thank you for the warning, I've been using the free version of TBu but was planning on purchasing it next time I switched ROMs.

I think I'll keep the free version, and if it annoys me too much I'll find another alternative. $9 for app is ridiculous.

BTW, can you try returning the app? I thought we had a 24-hour period to get a refund of paid apps.

5. Thassodar

Thassodar Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Texas
    Unfortunately for me it's too late. I'm using/enjoying the Pro version but I feel kind of swindled by the price. I think sremick may have it right and it's a fee tacked on by my bank. I didn't know, though, that it was a foreign app and/or that it was going to charge me in whatever currency the developer uses. I wish there were better documentation (or even the currency's symbol [$, etc.]) so I'd know beforehand that it's a foreign currency.

Perhaps I should take my issue to Google regarding currencies. I may get my bank to refund the $3.00 when I deposit my paycheck tomorrow. As it is I suppose this is a heads-up to anyone buying TiBu in the future. Make sure to check your currency exchange fee with your bank I suppose...

6. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    I wonder if you would be charged this fee if you bought your license right on their webpage. They use Paypal, I don't think any bank will charge a fee to use Paypal - if they do, there will be a backlash that none of them will enjoy dealing with.

This is something worth considering - if you're going to buy an app, look and see if you can buy it directly from the developer, I believe they'll make more if you do it that way.

7. Andrewdroid

Andrewdroid Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    Enterprise
    Gotham
    I'm almost positive it's a fee tacked on by the bank. EFT Fee= Electronic Funds Transfer Fee. Give a call to your bank and ask them about this $3 charge.

8. mnemonicj

mnemonicj Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    Nope, I bought the app on their website and I was not charged a fee. Plus, buying on their site helps the developer out because they don't have to pay the Android Market fees. Win - win for you and them, but not the Banks.

9. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Yeah I paid for TB back before the pay version was on the marketplace and you had to use PayPal via their website. No fee was incurred.

This is a sign that you need to switch banks. Not all banks screw their customers, and it's best to "vote with your wallet" as the saying goes. When you leave your existing bank, be sure to tell them why.