1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Titanium Backup -- unable to restore, folder empty

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Android Question

I flashed a new ROM yesterday. I swear I backed up my apps and data with Titanium backup (onto my SD card) but when I tried to restore apps, they are no where to be found. Per instructions, I wiped cache and davlik folder after I flashed my new ROM.
    Here is what I have done so far: Titanium backup > menu> preferences> backup folder location > /storage/emulated/legacy/TitaniumBackup . When I click detect, it says "no backup location found".
    I used ROM manager to backup ROM before flashing the new ROM, not sure if this also backs up the apps and ther data that I had on the phone. This will really suck if I lost everything as I have so many documents on the phone.
    I am in desperate need for help. Any help will be appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

Have you looked into the folder with a file manager to see if there's anything in there?

Oops. Internal storage or external SD card? When you back up to an external card, you remove the card before flashing the new ROM. If you backed up to internal storage, it could have gotten wiped.

If that's the case, open a browser (easier on a laptop or desktop), go to the Play store, to Apps, to My Apps, and install everything. (The button will say "installed". That's just to let you know - clicking it will still install the app.)

Have patience, use wifi and keep the charger plugged in.

3. owura143

owura143 Lurker

Thanks for the response. I am not worried about the apps. I am more worried about losing on my photos, videos, pictures and some apps that I paid a lot for. If i could recover these documents, I will be okay.
    Does backing up the ROM with ROM manager backup back up all my files?

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

ROM Manager should perform a recovery backup (a "nandroid" backup). This will back up apps and app data, but not media (such as pictures and videos). In fact Titanium doesn't back up pictures and videos either, because these are not app data in the usual sense. But these should not be affected by a factory reset, unless you did the wrong type (i.e. chose the option to wipe sd as well as apps and data).

Personally I'd avoid ROM Manager: it does nothing that you can't do directly using a custom recovery, and at best is one more thing to go wrong ("at best" because there are quite a lot of phones which it doesn't work well with). But that's not relevant now.

As Rukbat says, have a proper browse around both internal and (if it exists) external sd cards, see whether you have a TitaniumBackup folder on any of these, and whether there is anything in it/them. Check out every path you can see (/mnt/sdcard, /storage/emulated/... etc) because there are some devices and some software versions where this gets quite complicated, and it may be that the folder is in a slightly different place from where you are looking.

Paid apps are not a problem - you can just download them again (if bought from the Play Store there's no question of having to pay again). It's media that are the concern. Do you remember what sort of wipe you did when you installed the ROM? A cache/dalvik wipe won't have affected anything, but you should do a factory reset when changing ROMs, and there are different types of factory reset (some that wipe the sdcard storage, some that don't). The one that wipes sd should not be the default, so hopefully you are OK. Use a file browser, or install a gallery like QuickPic, and see whether you can still find your pictures and videos (which should be there independent of the apps, unless you wiped sdcard).