1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Titanium Backup vs My Backup Root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RunVert, Feb 19, 2011.

1. RunVert

RunVert Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Which do you prefer? ...and why?

pros and cons for each?

Differences and similarities?

...Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Advertisement

2. aburgthing

aburgthing Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 24, 2010
    District Chief in City of Pgh. paramedic rescue se
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Hey RunVert. I used/use paid versions of both. I started with Mybackup Pro when I was new to rooting. It has some nice features such as backing up SMS/MMS, data, calendar, notes etc., and it allows for online backup as well saving you some space on your SD card. It does what it says it does, backups your files and programs and restores them pretty easily. Titanium in my opinion does a little more but not as intuitively as MBP. The biggest reason I like Titanium however is to remove bloatware from your system. You can "freeze" programs as well from Titanium to see if it has any affect on your system and thaw them if you want them back. You have to be a little careful using Titanium however, because it will allow you to remove or freeze an app that you shouldn't have touched. Believe me, I found out the hard way. So if you are gonna start removing things, as always make sure you have a recent Nandroid in case you get into trouble. All in all they are two unique programs, both do a commendable job backing up and restoring your system, however Titanium does a few extra things that make it more valuable to me. Hope that somewhat explains the differences.

bind00 and RunVert like this.
  3. esthernrob

esthernrob Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    i deliver the nectar of the gods, BEER!
    Upstate, NY
    question on titanium backup... what if i'm freezing apps and then later want to use them... is there the ability to unfreeze or once done that's it???
    TIA

4. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    Yes. That is the benefit of freezing an app instead of deleting it. You can go back and "defrost" it later if you want to have it functioning again.

5. Pioneer74

Pioneer74 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    I use both. I like MyBackup Pro to back everything up, and I use Titanium to freeze the apps I don't want instead of deleting them.

6. luckman212

luckman212 Lurker
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    does a frozen app use any cpu? i mean, seriously if I back up all my apps first, is there any reason NOT to delete the stock preloaded app garbage that comes with my Citrus, vs. just freezing it?? i want to really DELETE that crap.

7. aburgthing

aburgthing Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 24, 2010
    District Chief in City of Pgh. paramedic rescue se
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    No, a frozen app does not use any CPU usage, however it does still reside on your system thus taking up space on your internal memory. You can delete the apps, bloatware. The unique thing about Titanium though is being able to gauge the affect of removing the app first by freezing it. Once you determine that there is no ill effect on your system, go ahead and remove them. Again I caution, some programs are tied deeply into the system and removing them can cause bootloops, forced closes and other unpleasant system problems. Always have a fresh Nandroid so if you remove something, you can restore. There is a thread around here somewhere on this forum that details apps that are safe to remove. I strongly recommend that you look it up.

8. luckman212

luckman212 Lurker
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    crap. 90% of what you just said flew over my head. guess i've got a lot of reading to do. whats a "fresh Nandroid"...yikes :)

Tags: