1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Titanium not restoring app data from retired phone's backup

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Colchicine, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Colchicine

Colchicine Android Expert

I need to rant/rage a bit.

I believe it is unreasonable for users to have to ditch all their apps and data when they switch phones. I refuse to start all over on games, and lose my page in my books. AND this should haven't have to be done with root access. sigh.
    -------------------
    Spent 3.5 hours last nighttrying to temp root and restore my app data last night. I seem to hit a problem at every step but did actually make some progress. I even got the infinite bootloop and had to do a reset.

I managed to achieve temp root using the CON247 method eventually, but couldn't get Titanium to recognize the back up I had made on my Incredible. I am using the same SD card from the old phone. According to the TB wiki, hitting the "Problems?" button should fix it, but does not. Next is:
    I downloaded busybox but this is where my computer knowledge gets maxed out as I have no idea how to get all of that typed in. I know nothing about a host.

Question:
    1) Is doing a restore from a different phone even possible?
    2) What can I do different?

tl;dr - Trying to restore a backup of app data from a previous phone, Titanium doesn't recognize the backup.

I did find this other seemingly relevant thread but I am unable to test it now.

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-nex...ckup-not-restoring-apps-help.html#post3662173

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Colchicine

So I managed to dig up a few posts over on the XDA forums from people that did indeed restore apps from their previous phone.

So question 1 is answered, now onto #2.

3. Colchicine

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL

Stupid stupid stupid.
    I don't mess around with the root stuff often. But I found that Titanium's Back up was pointing to the "internal SD" and not the ext. After redirecting it, it found my previous back up fine.

For some reason, rooting doesn't work every time for me. So even after discovering all of that, I still had to wait a while before I could get it rerooted to restore.

Restoring apps now. Awesome..

Thanks for listening.

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

There's perm root available, btw, courtesy of the HTCdev unlock - so, no more worries about repeated root. ;)

trophynuts likes this.
  5. christ_oh_fur

christ_oh_fur Newbie

I thought I was having the same issue so I mounted as disk drive and realize Titanium had made a blank folder on my internal storage. Was going to suggest you point it to the SD card, but Glad to see you already figured that out.

HTC Rezound Forum

The HTC Rezound release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1620mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews