• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tmo M9 update/stability weirdness

notacoach

Android Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2012
So while the M9 hasn't been a great HTC phone (I'm now on my THIRD warranty replacement since getting it last fall), the most-recent handset has been running mostly fine until recently. Last week, I headed up to Canada. As soon as we hit the Telus servers (which is what Tmo lets you use while roaming), it prompted an update, which it wouldn't let me ignore. Did the update. Came home. Seemingly ok.

However, a few days later, the unit massively overheated and drained while it was in standby (?!), and once it had cooled down had lost mobile data. Nothing would switch it on - and it wasn't just mobile data, but the phone connection as well - and when I hit the button in settings to toggle it on, got the error message, "com.phone.android has stopped working" etc.

Tried suggestions I found on line, none of which worked, so grudgingly backed it up and did a factory reset. The version number of the software is still the one that I downloaded in Canada (I remember the ".12").

Android 6.0
Security Patch level August 1, 2016
Htc Sense 7
Software number 3.39.531.12
Build number
3.39.531.12.CL690290 release-keys

Worked fine for a few days, but this morning did the same thing AGAIN. This time, however, it offered to let me "reset all apps to defaults". Aha! This got the connection back, so it is functional.

However, this is a major pain in the backside, as it means I"m constantly being prompted for app permissions (the update it received was the "security patch"), so every time I go to use something, I have to dig around again, usually get prompted about the "overlay" setting or download permissions, and have to figure out how to find that, which is surprisingly not obvious. Multiply this by just about every app on the phone, and you'll appreciate this is less than helpful when I just want to make a phone call, look up a phone number, download an email attachment, or listen to a track....

In any case- thoughts? Is this something Tmo support should advise? Should I just give up and buy a Samsung? Sadly, that's the way I fear I'll have to go eventually anyway since Tmo no longer offers the 10 :( :( :( :( :( :(

Annnddd.... finally called HTC. They instructed me to do a manual install of the ROM.

Three hours or backing up, replacing, and restoring later and.... it's exactly the same. Fine until a senior, then the error message again, only resolved by referring apps to defaults and starting from scratch AGAIN ~tears out hair~.

Upvote 0
FIXXXXED!!!!!!!!!

It's a pain, but cache partition wipe>factory reset>cache partition wipe>reboot FROM THE RECOVERY MENU (not from within the gui) finally cleaned it up. In fact , some things that have NEVER worked are great now! A major faff, but worth it in the end

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones