• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [TMobile] [MOD]App2External_SD (Fixed Duplicate files)

Apparently my problem wasn't due to dropping it, because now it's randomly done it again o_O Suddenly all my pictures and music are gone and I have no idea why. Well that's not completely true. By hooking up to a computer or using root browser I can still find the files, they just don't show up in my music player or gallery. Wtf? :( The main reason I used this mod was for this game called Injustice, which was too big to even download to default internal. But now even with my other files "broken" (for lack of a better word), the game still works fine. What is this sorcery!?

ETA: Now like 20 minutes later I reboot and everything is back to normal! Is this some kind of glitch I should expect to happen occasionally? If so, that's okay, I don't mind. I am just worrying about permanently losing files that are important to me especially since I'll be w/o a computer soon. Sorry guys, I'm a total n00b.. (proud I even figured out how to execute this mod in the first place! lol!)

Upvote 0
The regular link2sd steps are not sufficient to get working on this phone? I got link2sd working on a couple of old LG Optimus P509 phones a few years ago, and don't remember using any other app other than link2sd on the phone (since I partitioned the SD on a pc). Did anyone just follow vanilla steps for installing link2sd and get it working?

Upvote 0
The regular link2sd steps are not sufficient to get working on this phone? I got link2sd working on a couple of old LG Optimus P509 phones a few years ago, and don't remember using any other app other than link2sd on the phone (since I partitioned the SD on a pc). Did anyone just follow vanilla steps for installing link2sd and get it working?

I like to confirm the steps as well.
  1. Root the Optimus F6 and confirm that it is rooted.
  2. Follow the steps listed in the first post of this thread.
  3. Follow the steps on the Link2SD page and choose ext4 (instead of ext2) for steps 8 and 13.
Is that correct?

Also, for step 8 on the Link2SD page, 2gb doesn't sound like enough when those of us have been struggling with the 1.27gb of free space in the F6. I would think you would want to put more. Sorry I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff and when you search around there are a lot of threads on various forums with different instructions and it's all confusing.

Upvote 0
You need to back up your apps. Then do a factory reset to clear everything. Move everything from your internal sd to your external sd and delete or format internal sd. Then reinstall your apps after you factory reset cause the old data needs to be on the external sd.

I'm getting the insufficient storage error as many others. I have a 16gb card installed and under internal storage the total space says 14.89gb with 14.89gb available and the SD card says total space 1.27gb with 163mb available after completing the steps.

I don't expect the factory reset to work because before I started this process I did a factory reset and erased the SD card as part of the factory reset which unrooted my F6 so I had to repeat the rooting steps before I was able to start the steps listed in the first post of this thread. If I do another factory reset, the F6 will be unrooted again.

I didn't think the Link2SD steps were required because others didn't need to do them but now I'm not so sure. Could anyone who had plenty available of internal storage listed after following the steps but ended up with the insufficient storage error please explain how they fixed it. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I'm getting the insufficient storage error as many others. I have a 16gb card installed and under internal storage the total space says 14.89gb with 14.89gb available and the SD card says total space 1.27gb with 163mb available after completing the steps.

I don't expect the factory reset to work because before I started this process I did a factory reset and erased the SD card as part of the factory reset which unrooted my F6 so I had to repeat the rooting steps before I was able to start the steps listed in the first post of this thread. If I do another factory reset, the F6 will be unrooted again.

I didn't think the Link2SD steps were required because others didn't need to do them but now I'm not so sure. Could anyone who had plenty available of internal storage listed after following the steps but ended up with the insufficient storage error please explain how they fixed it. Thanks in advance.

If you only use this "mod" you will get that error at some point . Keep using this mod and format your SD card into two partions(aparted from the playstore works) . One partion being fat32 and the other etx4 . Download and open link2sd it should say something about ext2,3,4 I believe, simply hit ext4 and it will ask to restart. Another fix is using the pressy4pie SD card hack but it was made in the metro section, not sure if it will work for T-Mobile

Reactions: Sam K
Upvote 0
If you only use this "mod" you will get that error at some point . Keep using this mod and format your SD card into two partions(aparted from the playstore works) . One partion being fat32 and the other etx4 . Download and open link2sd it should say something about ext2,3,4 I believe, simply hit ext4 and it will ask to restart. Another fix is using the pressy4pie SD card hack but it was made in the metro section, not sure if it will work for T-Mobile

Thanks Trevor. Here's what I did but now I'm seeing some strange things.

1) Factory reset of the F6
2) Rooted the F6
3) Took out the 16gb microSD and followed the Link2SD instructions. Out of the 14.89gb of available space on the microSD card, I put 8gb on the FAT32 partition for media files and the remaining space on the other ext4 partition for apps. I know they say to only go up to 2gb for apps but I wanted more.
4) Followed the instructions on the first post of this thread.

Now when I got to setting-> storage, under internal storage I see 7.99 total space but under SD card I only see 1.27gb of total space. I expected to see the 8gb I allocated for the FAT32 partition. Also, now when I launch Link2SD and I select ext4, I'm getting the "Mount script error" in the attached screen shot. Did I do something out of order? I wasn't sure if I was supposed to do Link2SD first or this mod first or if it shouldn't matter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-04-16-28-29[1].jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-04-16-28-29[1].jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 255
  • Screenshot_2014-05-04-16-29-15[1].jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-04-16-29-15[1].jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0

Hi Trevor, just a quick update. I got everything to work after following the instructions in the right order which you mentioned in one of your posts on the first page of this thread. Sorry I forgot about that when I kept retrying to get this to work.

1) Factory reset of the F6 including the microSD memory card.
2) Rooted the F6 following your instructions in this thread.
3) Followed the instructions in the first post of this thread. I did an additional step before step 12 to remove the ".txt" extension from the 11extsd2internalsd file so that I could treat it like a executable script.
4) Removed my 16gb microSD from the F6 before installing any apps and followed the Link2SD instructions except I selected ext4 as the file system for the second partition instead of ext2. Out of the 14.89gb of available space on the microSD card, I put 8gb on the FAT32 partition for media files and the remaining space (almost 7gb) on the other ext4 partition for apps. I know they say to only go up to 2gb for apps but I wanted more because I like to install a lot of apps. The 1.27gb of available internal space that I had with the F6 out of the box wasn't enough for the apps I wanted to install so I didn't think another 2gb would be enough.

After I did the above steps I didn't get any insufficient storage errors or the "Mount script error" in the Link2SD app.

Reactions: FeOnyx26
Upvote 0
Hey guys, I've been rooting my phone almost daily the last several days trying to get this link2sd to work. The best success I've had I have ended up formatting my second partition as a fat32 also but then the data files won't link.
This morning I rerouted after hard reset and reformatting my sd card. I partitioned the card on the computer ( I've tried it with a parted a couple times also with this same result) with the first partition a fat32 with about 9 gigs and the second partition as ext4 with about seven gigs I have a 16 gig card class 10 ( prior to partitioning I check the card for errors it's good to go).
As usual I did the Uni in it version 1.0. I shut phone down, inserted the SD card, turned phone on, then rooted with safe root app. Copied the 11ext.. , set the permissions and gave it SU, boot, saved and exited.
Another restart then after it scans the card I unmount and remount the SD card to make the numbers right when you look at storage.

All of that goes without a hitch, besides waiting for pre installed apps to update after a hard reset, the entire process only takes 15 to 25 minutes. (I've done this repeatedly).

Here's the issue. When I install and open link2sd I get error messages re the mount.
When I have formatted the card for ext 4 or ext3, I get failed to create mount -no CSI structure available.
When I have formatted the card for ext 2, I get failed to create mount- invalid argument.
When I have formatted the card for fat 32 it mounts successfully but then almost any linked app breaks because of the data issue.
I have not tried the f2fs format for 2nd partition yet (no-one an any thread I've read has even mentioned success with it.

I have been able to replicate these results in each situation several times.
My phone is an lg optimus f6 from t-mobile, software is d 50010h and it is up to date.
Any ideas? I've read and reread several forums and threads and have failed to find anything that I've missed. I''ve chase my tail through non related and semi related threads and forums. I''ve read through link2sd is website including their FAQ's and not found a solution. :banghead:
Thanx in advance, y'all are great! Btw what happened to Jvene?

Upvote 0
@Krugercharlese

Have you generated the mount scripts WITHIN Link2SD? You can do so by opening Link2SD and clicking on the top-left menu text ("Link2SD" and hitting "Recreate Mount Scripts")
Do a full reboot (not a soft) a couple times for good measure.

I assume you made sure Link2SD is updated. If so, reinstall it. Wont hurt.

I've had success with a Link2SD secondary partition by formatting it from Linux Mint and having it a plain old EXT4 with all 0's (slow format)

What main apps do you use? Do you use Android/System Tuner? Advanced Task Manager?
The reason being is you need to make sure that nothing is interfering with Link2SD.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: krugercharlese
Upvote 0
Ok, I just rebooted my phone today and now I've lost all my applications that I installed and linked using Link2SD. For some reason it seemed to have lost the location of my second partition because it prompted me to select it but when I select "ext4" from the options, I get a "Mount script error" with a message that says "Mount script cannot be created. mount: Invalid argument". I've searched around but I haven't found the answer yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Just a quick question to all my fellow techie brothers out there, anyone know what is the size limit for fat32 and ext4? I have a 64gb card and though i split it right in half, internal memory is at 32gb but the fat32 still gives me 1.27. BTW, just wanted to thank Mr. Trevor Philips as he is a big contributor to our efforts. Though normally, I do not post, this person has to be recognized again for the assistance he provides us with. Thank you again.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm a noob with much of this but could someone explain how this mod should work? I followed the instructions on the first page, deleted the .txt, formatted ext4. But I didn't factory reset. (actually I did and lost the home key function and couldn't download files online. Thank god for cwm recovery) Before that, the phone's storage section read ~64GB as internal storage and the SD card had 1.27 GB. I haven't ran into the insufficient storage error because I just got this phone. But when I try to store music from my google play, it does say there's not enough storage. Is there a way to fix this? Would the paid version of Link2SD solve this more easily? Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Heya Lrr
You may have luck looking into Xposed modules.

First, download and install the Xposed Installer Xposed Installer | Xposed Module Repository
Next, look for "Music2SD" in the "downloads" section of the Xposed installer, or download and load the following .apk file into your phone:
Music2SD | Xposed Module Repository

Activate the module through Xposed Installer, then reboot your phone.

There is a way of getting your /data mount to your external SD, but it's a bit dirty and most likely requires a factory reset.

Before playing around too extensively with modifications to your phone, read up on how to unbrick your phone, get it out of bootloop, etc, then how to work with recovery and make CWM backups (nandroid backups)

Best of luck, welcome to the F6 community!

Upvote 0
This whole process was a super pain in the ass but it looks like I got things working. It seems like to get everything to work you have to use a few tutorials and just grab parts of each.

1. Install saferoot http://androidforums.com/metropcs-t...things-root/844417-app-root-saferoot-app.html
2. Install lte2recovery.apk http://androidforums.com/metropcs-o...ptimus-f6-recovery-updated-12b-6-17-14-a.html
3. Backup your SD Card to your computer.
4. Follow only Step 1: Partitioning (I made a 4GB ext4 partition) http://androidforums.com/metropcs-t.../812531-guide-lg-optimus-f3-apps-sd-card.html
5. Backup your phone using lte2recovery to your SD Card.
6. Follow all steps http://androidforums.com/tmobile-op...od-app2external_sd-fixed-duplicate-files.html
7. Follow Step 2: Moving Apps http://androidforums.com/metropcs-t.../812531-guide-lg-optimus-f3-apps-sd-card.html
I used the free version of Link2SD for now. If I see the space is wasting up I'll upgrade to the paid version.
Done.

I read a few posts talking about factory resetting the phone. I did not factory reset.

I have the T-Mobile version of the phone and used a 32GB SD card.

Hopefully this will hold me over until there is an update (maybe Kit Kat) that will fix this. If I see this is going to be a constant issue I'll buy another phone. Kind of sucks since I just got this phone and I got the phone before this one 4 months ago.

Also feel free to add any suggestions or comment if I did anything wrong. It looks like it's working for now. It took me about a week of all types of experimenting to get this working. This was my first time rooting an Android phone and I've been using Android since the HTC G1 and I did two phones at once.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones