• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [TMobile] [MOD]App2External_SD (Fixed Duplicate files)

securedownload_zps4d9d237f.png

Upvote 0
I am having an issue. My phone is the T-Mobile LG Optimus F6 D500. I had already moved all the apps I could to my external sd via the default installed apps browser found in the LG Optimus F6 settings, but couldn't send apps such as RetroArch, which I assumed was because it utilized 'data'. So I installed this and it doesn't work with link2sd or settings, which actually returned the message that "app2sd is not supported by your device". I followed the directions to the dot, but I cannot "store app data to the external SD Card". Does this mean I have done something wrong, or that I just misread the topic? Or hopefully even better, I just don't know what I am supposed to use to move the apps? Since I pruned its internal files, RetroArch takes up over 200 megabytes for me now (originally it was about half a gigabyte), and games such as Crazy Taxi take up even more so I cannot even have it on my phone. This sounds insignificant, it really should be, but for some reason this phone only has a gigabyte of internal storage which half was initially taken up by system bloat. This is frustrating.

Also forgot to mention, after each reboot in the directions, my icons on the homescreen were all deleted with few exceptions.

Upvote 0
I am having an issue. My phone is the T-Mobile LG Optimus F6 D500. I had already moved all the apps I could to my external sd via the default installed apps browser found in the LG Optimus F6 settings, but couldn't send apps such as RetroArch, which I assumed was because it utilized 'data'. So I installed this and it doesn't work with link2sd or settings, which actually returned the message that "app2sd is not supported by your device". I followed the directions to the dot, but I cannot "store app data to the external SD Card". Does this mean I have done something wrong, or that I just misread the topic? Or hopefully even better, I just don't know what I am supposed to use to move the apps? Since I pruned its internal files, RetroArch takes up over 200 megabytes for me now (originally it was about half a gigabyte), and games such as Crazy Taxi take up even more so I cannot even have it on my phone. This sounds insignificant, it really should be, but for some reason this phone only has a gigabyte of internal storage which half was initially taken up by system bloat. This is frustrating.

Also forgot to mention, after each reboot in the directions, my icons on the homescreen were all deleted with few exceptions.

Well after being frustrated for a couple of hours, I decided to uninstall the program. Deleted the file from init.d, uninstalled the app, everything. And what do you know, I was able to move apps such as RetroArch and Terraria (albeit, not the data, but I was able to save more memory than I had before) to my external sdcard through the system app more info window. This is strange but the results are satisfactory, thanks for the mod.

Upvote 0
Question?
I tried this out on my wife's f6 everything looked liked it worked. It said my internal memory was 32 gigs but when I tried to download anything it said insufficient memory. Any ideas as to why it would do this?

I had the same issue. The mod worked it shows 14gb of storage but when i try to download more apps it says insufficient storage. How would i go about fixing this on a metropcs f6??

UPDATE: idk what the heck happened but i just checked out my storage and internal storage says 14.83gb and sd card mount storage says 14.83gb lol does this mean the mod worked properly↖(^ω^)↗

Edit: okay how do i stop these dange insufficient storage messages?!?! Agghhh its driving me crazy

Upvote 0
alright, after reading through comments for the most updated OP - the script only trick, I decided to report my data point.

MS500, Xperion by GT, 32GB micro SD (like 29-ish GB visible). Before this mod, the phone saw SD card as "external_SD" and the ~1GB on-board storage as "sdcard0".

After following steps in OP, I can clearly see the SD card was recognized as "sdcard0" and onboard storage became "external_SD". This is also verified in "settings"->"storage", like recent comments with screenshot showed.

HOWEVER, after I was thinking this trick really worked and so I started to use Rom Toolbox's AppManager (kinda like TitaniumBackup) to restore my 130-ish apps and data from their Nexus 5 backup, the retore would always failed. Only part of all my apps were restored, and they takes around 1GB data in "internal storage" (my SD card), as shown in "Settings"->"storage". That is exactly the size of the near-saturated "external storage" (the real original 'sdcard0', onboard storage), leaving merely 100MB available for the onboard storage.

So basically, I the script tricked ROM/OS to think the real SD is internal and vice versa, however, in some degrees, or at some other level, app data is still restored (or installed, for new apps) in the real onboard storage, which is merely 1.xx GB.

I'd still find some way to use Link2SD as its idea/philosophy is convincing to me. At least I might need a Ext4 partition on my SD card for some script to work.

Upvote 0
as I followed Link2SD documentation for instruction and explanation, I was sort of successful restoring/installing about 150 apps from Rom Toolbox backup.

I used TWRP recovery partitioned an Ext4 partition of 3GB (size=3074; swap=0). The rest was automatically formatted (FAT32). Then I moved backup files of the SD card from my computer to this FAT32/SD-card partition for use.

As Link2SD automatically linked very app to SD card, I noticed the "storage" information from Link2SD showed the Ext4 has slightly over 2GB used; and the SD card (FAT32) has about 3GB used, which sounds about the right size shown in the "Settings"->"storage" of my old Nexus 5.

So basically, the SD card (FAT32) stores app apk files, those sort of things; and the Ext4 partition stores internal data of the apps, which is usually a small portion of what an app can take up in a ROM/phone. And this portion, somehow, needs to be on a unix/linux partition to really function. This is what I understood from linkd2sd's documentation.

Anyways, this explained why using OP's script swapping external_sd and sdcard0 doesn't work. Because although the larger portion of the app data, which was meant to store in FAT32 partition, was saved to "sdcard0" by the script tricking the ROM, there is NOT any 'extra' unix/linux partition, ext4 in my case, for those "internal data" to be stored for proper function of an app. Restoring/installing lots of apps would still use the real sdcard0, which is the phone's, for apps' internal data. And when it was saturated, an error saying "insufficient storage" will pop out and no more apps can be installed.

I said "sort of successful", because after restoring all my app backup and linking to SD, I would get a warning message at every boot-up saying something about "UID", I ignorantly guess the error might come from the fact that some essential apps should be placed only on the phone's storage rather than linked to SD, e.g. Rom Toolbox, TitaniumBackup, Link2SD, Xposed framework, RootBrowser, and many google processes and/or apps. I know I need to wipe my phone for fresh ROM installation anyway, so I decided to install some "essential/crucial" apps onboard before start batch link2sd.

BTW, I'm using the paid version of Link2SD, I didn't pay attention to the limitation of the FREE version at this time, and whether that limitation affects my methods.

Also, I was using Xperion when I tested both OP's and Link2SD methods. Right now, I just installed hroark13's KK4.4.4 and about to test it here. I had to admit I'm more comfortable with KK interface and background since I was on Nexus 5 for a year now. So if Link2SD works here (I don't see why it can't) and the softcard with rootcloak/xposed works, then I'd be settled with hroark13's CM11 I guess.

PS, I'm running LCD density at 175 with CM11 to have 6 apps in dock and 5 in drawer right now. It was 180 for Xperion and stock ROM, if anyone cares.

Reactions: infowarz
Upvote 0
Hello, I have tried following all the steps carefully and haven't had any issues with them. However, whenever I restart my phone it always seems like nothing happened. The storage still reports 1.27 internal memory etc. I don't know what the issue is.

When I try to execute the script it says this:

h '/system/etc/init.d/11extsd2internalsd' <
mount: mounting /dev/block/vold/179:97 on /mnt/sdcard failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /dev/block/vold/179:97 on /mnt/sdcard failed: No such device

I don't know if that might be helpful?

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones