• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tmo's Samsung vibrant to have hummingbird GPU

larryccf

Nov 14, 2009
couldn't find the original post but someone posted a rumor that Tmo's version of the galaxy S was going to have a snapdrahon 1Ghz chip - I couldn't understand why samsung would outsource a chip to replace one they made in house but.....

just saw this - apparently tmo has announced on their twitter acct it will have the samsung hummingbird 1Ghz GPU

T-Mobile Announces Samsung Vibrant, 1 GHz Smartphone | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

T-Mobile Announces Samsung Vibrant, 1 GHz Smartphone

By: Sascha Segan

T-Mobile's official Twitter account has been tweeting up a storm about a new smartphone called the Vibrant, which I have on good authority is a member of Samsung's Galaxy S family.
That means the phone will be a large, slab-style Android 2.1 phone with a 1 Ghz processor - the first true Android "super phone" available with T-Mobile branding.
Samsung has said it's trying to introduce Galaxy S phones on all four major U.S. carriers, and the Vibrant is the second one announced, after AT&T's Captivate.
The official Galaxy S launch party is on Tuesday night, but here's what T-Mobile has had to say about it on Twitter so far:
"How about the Samsung Vibrant? 1GHz Samsung Hummingbird processor, 4.0-inch Super AMOLED touch screen, 5 MP camera"
"The Vibrant's 1GHz Samsung Hummingbird processor is optimized for superior media viewing and game play."
"The Vibrant's 5 MP camera is equipped with digital zoom and autofocus. Comes with an HD video recorder too!"
"The release date will be announced in the near future, stay tuned"
The carrier also has a silly rebus showing the phone's name, but it's clear that much more information will come out soon. To whet your appetite, check out our hands-on with the Galaxy S from the official product line launch in March.
This post originally appeared on Gearlog.

think the 29th date is just for the samsung announcement - there was fairly big notice on engadget about it, that samsung was going to be announcing new smartphones (plural) on that date, and the underlying assumption was it'd be the Tmo version of the galaxy (Vibrant) and the AT&T version (Captivate)

but the Tmo release has been leaked as July 24th

i'm hoping to see the galaxy A announced on the 29th - i'd much rather have a phone no larger than the MyTouch i have now - had the HD2 for a few days and felt like i was holding a paperback book to my face for calls

i know i'm in the minority on that, but after carrying a motorola krzr for 5 years, the mytouch was a nice screen size - anything bigger to me isn't necessary

one negative on the "A", while the screen is smaller (3.7"), the processor is slower (800Mhz) but i can live with that

Upvote 0
have not seen any price quote from Tmo or any price even rumored

i'm assuming $199 w/2 yr contract - a lot of comparable phones (HTC incredible & even the new HTC Droid X is already on Best buy for $199 with similiar specs. IIRC, Sprint's price on the Evo 4G is also $199, so i think tmo would be foolish to try to break out of that price point - phones are used to capture contracts, not to generate revenue by themselves

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones