1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General To all who upgraded from Eris or DInc ...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nomarsgirl, Dec 28, 2011.

1. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    Red Sox Nation
    I'm still rocking my Eris, but I have been eligible for an upgrade for a while now. Checked out the Nexus at the VZW store and while it is beautiful, I am concerned about the size. I held the Eris up to it and the Nexus is almost twice as big. Are any of you having trouble making this adjustment? For me, the form factor was my reason for keeping the Eris. I'm ready to update, but all the new phones are just so BIG. Does it just take some getting used to?

Advertisement

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  2. Neera

Neera Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    Female
    IL
    I've had an Eris and was skeptical about all these big new phones as well.
    The DInc was the perfect size I thought, but once you have held the Nexus in your hand you will not want to put it down again.

It is big, no doubt, but it doesn't feel big and clunky. It feels great unlike the Razr which felt too wide and awkward to hold. Too thin for my taste.

I have small girl hands, but can handle the Nexus just fine. I'd say give it a try. If you don't like it you can always get a Rezound. It is a little smaller and will feel more like a big brother to the Eris. :)

GalaxyNexus and nomarsgirl like this.
  3. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Totally worth it, i got used to the size in a matter of hours and i have small to medium sized hands for a guy (yeah yeah i don't want to hear it).

GalaxyNexus and Crashumbc like this.
  4. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    Well the razr is wider, and girls with small hands have these at the office, just a coincidence on their upgrade cycle. They can one hand it all day long.

SGN would be easier, since there's less of a border. Even before the SGN and RAZR people were rocking 4.3" screens one handed with small hands.

Go back to the store and re-check it! That security thing might be attached, ask if any workers in the store have one you can hold and play with for a few mins! (don't go diving into their contacts or their sms, lol).

Everytime I visit a store I'm happy to let them take a test drive for a few minutes on my personal phone.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  5. bi0nicman

bi0nicman Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 21, 2011
    i always thought a 4inch screen size phone was the perfect combo of size and readable screen. but i have to admit going from a Dinc, which after a while ended up feeling too small, to a GNex, i'll never look back.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  6. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I spent a few days with a Nexus, and then went with a Razr. It took me a full day to get used to the size of the Nexus. I won't say that it's always easy to single-hand the Nexus, but it's generally doable. Like ZeroCool, I have smallish hands for a guy (yeah, I don't want to hear it either.. :) ) so that comes in to play.
    When I went to the Razr I didn't have any problem at all with it's size, though I assume that due to having used the Nexus first, rather than the actual form factor of the Razr.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  7. T-Keith

T-Keith Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    I came from an Eris, via a used incredible. Like you I bought the Eris for the size and disliked the larger phones. Unfortunately unless you want to be stuck with another underpowered phone you have to go big. You do get used to it, but it is still much harder to used one handed. It is easier to hold than the RAZR, but the rezound might be a bit better. The nexus has a led and bottom usb like the Eris though.

If you must have small the illusion is like the nexus' little brother.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  8. pragmatous

pragmatous Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 1, 2010
    I came from a droid Inc and I got use to the big screen within seconds. Its just fantastic. After a week I went back to my droid incredible and the screen is too small lol.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  9. VTjlee

VTjlee Newbie
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    Energy/Sustainability Engineer
    Northern Va
    I came from the Dinc and love the size of the GNex. The screen is big and clear, yet it isn't bulky in my pocket (which I was afraid of).

My wife also upgraded to the GNex from the OG Droid. She's petite (only 5' tall) and hasn't complained about the size once. Its a good physical design coupled with a crystal clear screen. I wouldn't change anything about it.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  10. HuskyKMA

HuskyKMA Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    WA
    Came from the Eris, the size of the SGN is no problem for me. I got used to it in under an hour. I actually hated how small the Eris was because I have big hands, and my thumb would start to hurt after awhile of using it. Love the size of the SGN.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  11. peppy211

peppy211 Lurker
    None

Dec 22, 2011
    Had the Eris and the Dinc.. now have the Nexus and it only took about a day for me to fully get used to the size lol.. i had thoughts that this phone was too big but after handling it it's not bad at all.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  12. animalfries2

animalfries2 Lurker
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    I had the DINC and switched to Nexus for the bigger screen. DINC was always too small for me because i mainly use my phone for on-the-go web browsing.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  13. icn4d

icn4d Member
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Had a different experience,,,Came from dinc about a week ago and taking it back. Honestly just feel its too big. One hand is awkward, doable, but awkward. I am also left handed and these are laid out for right handed people. Its a awesome phone, love the power and ics, but at almost 5 inches I consider it encroaching tablet space.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  14. sixlaps

sixlaps Newbie
    None

Feb 22, 2010
    I was concerned about the size of the galaxy nexus before I got it but I can't imagine going back now. After a few days you're used to it. When I look at my Eris now I can't believe how small it really is.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  15. AJ McKay

AJ McKay Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    The only growing pain I'm having from the Inc is not having the optical sensor to move around text. That's my one and only complaint.

GalaxyNexus and rezeew like this.
  16. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Tech Support
    Boston, MA
    Phone doesn't feel too big at all. Out of the box it felt good. I was thinking the same thing, but it doesn't feel bulky or anything. Buy with confidence.

Same. Every time I mistype something I miss that a little.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  17. veccster

veccster Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Headhunter
    Western PA
    Former DInc owner and yes, it takes some getting used to. No problem in my pocket but using it one handed is a bit weird. Had it since day 1 and have gotten used to it pretty good. It's such a beautiful screen and nice phone that I do not regret my decision - just answering your question if it takes some getting used to.

That said...the Dinc took some getting used to as well (coming from a flip phone).

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  18. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    I came from the Eris over to the Fascinate and I have rather small girly hands too ;). The size of the Nexus isn't a problem at all. The curve of the device really makes it comfortable to hold too.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  19. Aabye

Aabye Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 6, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I came from the Eris, and was concerned about the size of the GN as well. I too believed that the Eris had the perfect "form factor" for a phone. After two weeks of the GN, I now believe that it has the perfect form factor. It does take some getting used to, but once you are there, I don't think you will want to look back.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  20. VTjlee

VTjlee Newbie
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    Energy/Sustainability Engineer
    Northern Va
    My biggest complaint as well. I still instinctively reach for it every now and then, only to be disappointed.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  21. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Android Expert
    None

Dec 29, 2009
    California
    I had the Eris for 2 years and I quickly adjusted to the Nexus in the 1st hour I had it.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  22. slowhat

slowhat Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Richmond VA
    ha, i've been doing that all day.

and to the OP, the size difference takes just a little time to get over. I've got big gorilla hands so it was no issue switching from the Dinc, but my wife has small hands and has a droid charge and likes the larger size.
    she says it feels a lot better in the hand than smaller ones (that's what she said. no, really, that's what she said)

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  23. Cemo

Cemo Newbie
    None

Dec 2, 2011
    I came from an Eris. At times the GN size is still a little awkward (when trying to one-hand everything), but it's well worth it. I picked up my Eris the other day and it now seems ridiculously tiny

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  24. kidtronic

kidtronic Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    I had the Inc before insurance replaced it with a DX. Aside from the occasional uncomfortable stretch of the thumb to the top left corner, i like the screen size and would have to say the added screen real estate does more harm than good. Web browsing, keyboard typing, and video viewing benefit greatly.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  25. Busbar

Busbar Newbie
    None

Jan 4, 2010
    I ditched the Eris (rooted) for GNex... Easy transition... Fast web pages and I don't get "out of memory" notifications any more... whooopeee! Phone is slender. Fist in my front pocket (I don't use a case or screen protector). Only downside is the 4G battery drain.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
Tags: