• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help To Anyone Waiting on Modern Combat Sandstorm for the EVO

edriggers

Jun 12, 2010
While I was on GameLoft's site today (to get the free HD Golf Game), I noticed this:

EMfJ5.jpg

As far as I knew, Modern Combat wasn't working for anyone on the EVO, which would make the section of their site in my screenshot very misleading. I decided to contact GameLoft directly to get a comment on the game's compatibility with our device, and this was their response:

Hi ____,

I am afraid Modern Combat is not ready yet for the HTC EVO and should not have been shown on the web page.

However, the release date is set as Tuesday the 20th so what I suggest you is to check our website: Top Android Games for HTC Evo! Download 1 Game for Free - Gameloft or follow us on twitter (Gameloft HTC EVO (Games_HTC_Evo) on Twitter) to be the first to know when it is out.

Best Regards,

-------------------------------
Matias Boiano
Customer Care Representative
Mobile Games - iPhone Games, Android Games Downloads - Top Games for Mobile | Gameloft

As with all things, this should be taken with a grain of salt, but then again, it never hurts to hope!

This is their response:

Hello ____!

Thank you for contacting The Gameloft Customer Care Department!
We are sorry to tell you that the "Modern Combat Sandstorm" it is not released yet (It's been delayed).
So what I suggest you is to check our website: Top HTC Evo Games - Android, Download 1 Free Game - Gameloft or follow us on twitter (Gameloft HTC EVO (Games_HTC_Evo) on Twitter) to be the first to know when it is out.

Best Regards,

Matias Boiano
Mobile Games - Top Games for iPhone, Android HD, Java Games for Cell Phones | Gameloft

/sigh

Upvote 0
Does anyone think this will run well on our phones? Do far, the 3d games I have are pretty laggy and slow (fifa, real soccer, let's golf...) That's my only big disappointment with this phone. While 2d games run okay, its 3d games run way less than the 30 fps cap. Not saying an iPhone is better, but at least they can run higher textured games butter smooth at 60 fps. I wish developers would spend the time to get 3d Android games correctly because the Gpu is only supposed to be slightly slower than the iPhone.

Upvote 0
Does anyone think this will run well on our phones? Do far, the 3d games I have are pretty laggy and slow (fifa, real soccer, let's golf...) That's my only big disappointment with this phone. While 2d games run okay, its 3d games run way less than the 30 fps cap. Not saying an iPhone is better, but at least they can run higher textured games butter smooth at 60 fps. I wish developers would spend the time to get 3d Android games correctly because the Gpu is only supposed to be slightly slower than the iPhone.

you might wanna restart your phone or kill all your task when your about to play. Mine would be laggy but once i started doing that they run perfect. i have both real soccer and lets golf

probably frees up all the memory for the game

Upvote 0
you might wanna restart your phone or kill all your task when your about to play. Mine would be laggy but once i started doing that they run perfect. i have both real soccer and lets golf

probably frees up all the memory for the game

I restart my phone every couple of days just out of habit. I use sytem panel to monitor my CPU and Memory usage. I usually have about 100 mb of free ram before I start the game, so I'm assuming that's enough for a mobile game. How much do you have? I can try and kill some tasks to match your free ram to see if it runs the same.

Real Soccer and lets golf actually perform the best out of Android 3D games, so they are playable. It's just that the same game runs about 5X to 10X smoother with better graphics on an iPhone 3GS (my old phone). And the iPhone 3GS is only supposed to be something like 10% faster than the snapdragon GPU. This means the programming is somehow inefficient on Android, and my only guess is that it takes time and money that developers aren't willing to spend yet on our platform.

Upvote 0
Cap has been patched for awhile now...

I get 53fps consistently..

without root????

I restart my phone every couple of days just out of habit. I use sytem panel to monitor my CPU and Memory usage. I usually have about 100 mb of free ram before I start the game, so I'm assuming that's enough for a mobile game. How much do you have? I can try and kill some tasks to match your free ram to see if it runs the same.

Real Soccer and lets golf actually perform the best out of Android 3D games, so they are playable. It's just that the same game runs about 5X to 10X smoother with better graphics on an iPhone 3GS (my old phone). And the iPhone 3GS is only supposed to be something like 10% faster than the snapdragon GPU. This means the programming is somehow inefficient on Android, and my only guess is that it takes time and money that developers aren't willing to spend yet on our platform.

i have real soccer on both my ipod touch and evo. they run the same. evo is a little better to play on cause of the size of the screen

i have 3dgolf on evo, ipod touch, and my old pre. it runs best on the pre followed by touch and evo closely.

Upvote 0
I think these are the problems as to why the iPhone has better games.

Better GPU
Larger Marketshare (Devs make more money on iPhones)
Objective C (From what I read, better than Java for games)
Android Fragmentation

Then add in the 30 FPS cap on the EVO for good measure. Now you can see all of the hoops a developer would have to jump through. It would be easier for them just to make an iPhone game which would have huge sales.

Upvote 0
I forgot another limitation of the Android platform is memory allocation. Android does not allow you to install apps on the SD card.

Modern Combat is over 200mb, a few games of that size is not going to fit on an EVO.

A) That's not true. Google Apps2SD.

B) All Gameloft games store the bulk of their data in the \Gameloft\games\<game name>\ folder on the SD card by default.

Upvote 0
I asked them why the game wasn't released on 20th as their email responses had suggested, and this was their reply:

Hello ____!

Thank you for contacting the Gameloft Customer Care Department!

The release date for the "Modern Combat" for HTC EVO it's: August 6th!!

if you have any other concern, don't hesitate on contacting us.

Best regards,

Matias Boiano
Mobile Games - Top Games for iPhone, Android HD, Java Games for Cell Phones | Gameloft

Don't hold your breath.

Upvote 0
What up guy I'll new on but I do one thing yes I do have a HTC evo and I have a lot of game from gameloft modern combat 1 it with play on your phone because I got it but I am having problem will modern combat 2 now it on the HTC evo and I can't get it to play on my phone overtime I try to open the game the screen stay black do anybody have this if so I need help

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones