• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROMs To Custom ROM, or not to Custom ROM? That is the Question!

dsb9938

Jun 3, 2010
Edison, NJ
I have always been a techie geek. I've been tweaking my DTV TiVos for almost 10 years now (even had a nice website till TiVos lawyers called). And I've never been gun shy either. Always at the head of the line to try something new. But I've not yet played with a home baked ROM.

I've had root since you could, and I've gotten quite adept at playing and tweaking inside the phone. But a whole new ROM has always scared me, don't know why.

I think if the descriptions were more detailed, for those of us who have no idea what some of these changes do, I might be more comfortable.

Anyway, I'm glad this forum is here. It will facilitate conversations with the people who create, and the people who use these things.

Thanks,

Dennis

I have always been a techie geek. I've been tweaking my DTV TiVos for almost 10 years now (even had a nice website till TiVos lawyers called). And I've never been gun shy either. Always at the head of the line to try something new. But I've not yet played with a home baked ROM.

I've had root since you could, and I've gotten quite adept at playing and tweaking inside the phone. But a whole new ROM has always scared me, don't know why.

I think if the descriptions were more detailed, for those of us who have no idea what some of these changes do, I might be more comfortable.

Anyway, I'm glad this forum is here. It will facilitate conversations with the people who create, and the people who use these things.

Thanks,

Dennis

It scared me too. I rooted just a few weeks ago and jumped on the ROM bandwagon right away. I have some embedded background so I was a little less wary than someone who has never been exposed to embedded development but even then it was a very painless process. I truly believe you don't a whole lot of technical knowledge to install a ROM. Technical knowledge is nice, of course, but not required.

Since I went to custom ROMs I haven't been happier and to be honest I haven't ran into any major issues (knock wood). The rooting process was more scary and complex than installing a ROM. Get ROM Manager from the marketplace - get the premium one for some good stuff (it's only 4.99 - the price of a coffee at Starbucks). Take the leap, you won't be sorry. There are tons of people on these boards who are willing and happy to help. Just give a shout if you have any questions. Check out the stickies for information on ROMs and how to install a custom ROM.

Upvote 0
i just rooted my vm intercept and am lookin into roms. i use launcher pro on stock rom. so what wood rom do? is it basicly just getting a new launcher (ie. layout and icons and dock)? wood a custom rom be good for me? i want to improve the functionality of the phone not really change the look. maybe custom rom runs better than stock? idk. any help slash advice wood b great. i am using cm01 recovery and already running vampirefo kernel. so wood rom make phone better i guess is my question.
ty to devs for the intercept root apk!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones