• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To EVO or not to EVO ... that is the question

TeamPEZ

Feb 28, 2010
Powder Springs, Georgia
So now I am stuck between a laggy Hero or the EVO.

If I keep the Hero, I can only hope the 2.1 (whenever it comes out) will fix it ... or throw caution in the wind and have someone root it for me as I am not technologically sound with hopes that helps.

If I bite the bullet and buy the EVO, will I have to pay full price or will someone somewhere have it cheaper? Some people have mentioned I could buy it for $199 at Best Buy, but others say that's a lie. I could sell my Hero with extended battery in mint condition (about $200-$250) and use that money for the EVO, but depending on the price I would have to pay, I may have to put more in it.

Your thoughts? What are you planning on doing?

-TP

So now I am stuck between a laggy Hero or the EVO.

If I keep the Hero, I can only hope the 2.1 (whenever it comes out) will fix it ... or throw caution in the wind and have someone root it for me as I am not technologically sound with hopes that helps.

If I bite the bullet and buy the EVO, will I have to pay full price or will someone somewhere have it cheaper? Some people have mentioned I could buy it for $199 at Best Buy, but others say that's a lie. I could sell my Hero with extended battery in mint condition (about $200-$250) and use that money for the EVO, but depending on the price I would have to pay, I may have to put more in it.

Your thoughts? What are you planning on doing?

-TP

I am guessing you haven't tried Fresh 2.1.1. You won't be complaining about the excessive lag after that.

If you are not eligible for an upgrade, I wouldn't recommend plopping down $600 on a phone that will be identical to the Hero right now in 6 months (cell phones go in these 6 month cycles). If you don't have 4G in your area AND you aren't eligible for an upgrade, I think you would be crazy to get the EVO. Heck, I bet another 4G phone better than the EVO will come out before your area gets 4G, for those without 4G right now.

Reasons I'm not getting an EVO:

• Not eligible for an upgrade
  • Phone was too big when I tested it out
  • Don't have 4G in my area
  • It's running 2.1, just like my not-so-laggy Hero
  • $10/month extra not justified since I don't have 4G

Upvote 0
I am guessing you haven't tried Fresh 2.1.1. You won't be complaining about the excessive lag after that.

If you are not eligible for an upgrade, I wouldn't recommend plopping down $600 on a phone that will be identical to the Hero right now in 6 months (cell phones go in these 6 month cycles). If you don't have 4G in your area AND you aren't eligible for an upgrade, I think you would be crazy to get the EVO. Heck, I bet another 4G phone better than the EVO will come out before your area gets 4G, for those without 4G right now.

Reasons I'm not getting an EVO:

• Not eligible for an upgrade
  • Phone was too big when I tested it out
  • Don't have 4G in my area
  • It's running 2.1, just like my not-so-laggy Hero
  • $10/month extra not justified since I don't have 4G

I don't know what Fresh 2.1.1 is ... Is it anything like the 2.1 update? My problem is that I am not technically advanced so I need clear directions on how to do things (pictures help a lot!) Yes, I know, very childish, but this is the reason why I teach Special Education in the High School. I certainly know what these kids feel when they get overwhelmed with stuff they read.

If someone can tell me exactly what to do, I would be forever in their debt! I would even name my first child after you!

Thanks!

-TP

Upvote 0
I don't know what Fresh 2.1.1 is ... Is it anything like the 2.1 update? My problem is that I am not technically advanced so I need clear directions on how to do things (pictures help a lot!) Yes, I know, very childish, but this is the reason why I teach Special Education in the High School. I certainly know what these kids feel when they get overwhelmed with stuff they read.

If someone can tell me exactly what to do, I would be forever in their debt! I would even name my first child after you!

Thanks!

-TP

Fresh 2.1.1 is a mod (modification) of the Android 2.1 Operating System (aka Eclair). It remove a lot of the bloat-ware (software that is not often used by people, but slows down the phone considerably) and adds some features that makes the phone faster and more customizable.

In order to install this over the current operating system, you need to "root" your phone. Basically, all that means is that it allows you to have permission to do whatever you want to your phone. Once you have "rooted" your phone (there are many guides on how to do this), you can install Fresh 2.1.1. On your phone. I would suggest spending some time on the Sprint Hero All Things Root forum to learn more.

Upvote 0
Fresh 2.1.1 is a mod (modification) of the Android 2.1 Operating System (aka Eclair). It remove a lot of the bloat-ware (software that is not often used by people, but slows down the phone considerably) and adds some features that makes the phone faster and more customizable.

In order to install this over the current operating system, you need to "root" your phone. Basically, all that means is that it allows you to have permission to do whatever you want to your phone. Once you have "rooted" your phone (there are many guides on how to do this), you can install Fresh 2.1.1. On your phone. I would suggest spending some time on the Sprint Hero All Things Root forum to learn more.

And just to add to cajun, within that forum, there is a sticky, with a ton of info to sort through. It even has a video.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-sprint-hero/38911-guide-root-rom-faq-tutorial.html

Hope it helps...

Upvote 0
I figure I will probably get one through best buy and at least try it for 30days. I talked to them today and they said there is no restocking fee. This makes it a easy return if it turns out not worth it.. Sprint charges $35.00 but the retail price is much lower than best buy. Personally I don't see a dramatic difference between the evo and hero (software wise at least). I know the hardware is dramatically different and the phone is more powerful. I can't upgrade till october so me buying and trying it will justify my update when it comes time.

Upvote 0
I'm getting the Evo when it comes out, and will be giving my Hero to my Fiancee.

But, I have rooted my phone, and flashed Fresh Toast v2.1, which is overclocked to up to 768 mhz (stock processor is only rated to 528 mhz). It removes most of the lag from the phone (it still lags a bit for a few seconds after waking up). Go to

Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero

and read up on using the kitchen to auto root, create nandroid backup, and flash a custom rom. It's really easy.

Upvote 0
It's been rumored the full price of the Evo 4G will be $449.99 at Sprint. Best Buy told me they will match that price if you buy it from them. I'm still on the fence about whether I will plop down that money...it has some AWESOME features that I would love to have but it's a lot of money. Even if I manage to get $200 out of my Hero I'm still looking at $250+ to 'upgrade' since I'm not eligible for upgrade pricing until January 1.

Upvote 0
that's great if they will price match. I could sell my pre and hero and end up getting the evo for no money out of pocket. I just don't know if it will be worth it. I am kind of weary about how 2.1 was handled with the hero. I don't want to be in the same position with Froyo. I would hope not but who really knows I guess

Upvote 0
I've heard some stuff that said the EVO COULD actually get Froyo in June. I'm sure Sprint will be a lot more likely to keep it up to date quickly since it will be their new flagship device. I could be wrong, but the Hero never got near the attention the EVO is getting. It's in Sprint's best interest to keep this thing cutting edge as long as possible.

Upvote 0
The Evo will get more attention because it's a more up to date device, better screen, better processor, and such and such. Newer versions of Android were built for devices more powerful than the Hero. This isn't anyone's fault either, we're dealing with newer technology that evolves rapidly, there's no way for any company (read: Sprint, HTC, Google) to keep pace, I mean c'mon, you don't expect Microsoft to keep making OS's for the Pentium 486 do you (or why would you want that anyway)?

Upvote 0
I spoke to an sprint rep who claimed you only pay the ten dollars if you want to use the premium data plan that really takes advantagE of the 4g and if you don't live in 4 g area of course he claims "we won't be charging you" He says you can use the 4g without paying but you won't get the use of features like qik video conference and such

Upvote 0
Here is my take on what you may consider doing.

I am assuming you are not happy with the performance of your Hero (who is).
Id you decide to go out of pocket for the EVO you should immediately sell your Hero. That will bring the EVO Price down to 250 for you. Now keep in mind you are eligible for an upgrade in January from Sprint. If you are happy with sprint in January and are ok with another contract extention. Then take advantage of an upgrade in January. You can immediately sell the phone you choose and get another 200 for it. Even if its not a super high end phone people on ebay will still buy it. Sure it will take you until January to recover the 200. But at least you wont still be yelling at your hero for another 7 months.

BTW... dont download the stock 2.1 from sprint. I have and now wont be able to root. Plus the sprint 2.1 has caused me more problems than 1.5 was. Pandora freezes up my phone. It disables my music player. Youtube works when it wants to. I would say i have to reboot my phone about 5 times a day now. Thank you sprint.

Upvote 0
Ive read a lot a about the evo and it really does sound like a great phone...dont get me wrong, but think back a few years to when the moto razr came out. it was the smallest functional phone out to date and EVERYONE had to have one. Everyone loved the small size. It seems like now, phones are going back to the days of Saved by the Bell where they're the size of a brick, and a lot of people dont seem to care.

thanks just my little rant haha. nothing really informative to share

Upvote 0
For what it is worth, there is a review of the Sprint Evo in today's wall street journal. Read it yourself but the jist of it, imho, is that it is a great phone with some really good features but between the 4G (where the speeds just are not all that is claimed) and the cpu, the battery life is very limited.

Upvote 0
Honestly, given what HTC and Sprint put users through with the 2.1 update for Hero, I don't have a lot of faith in either one at this moment.

While the EVO had piqued my interest, the Hero experience, some pre-release reviews, the unclear pricing, and just plain "Android fatigue", it's unlikely that I will get an EVO - barring some pretty spec-freakin-tacular user feedback. And probably not an HTC phone for quite some time.

Upvote 0
Here is something to think about before you buy the Evo. They say it may take a few years but nowadays who knows how quick it may happen.

Sprint mulling LTE for 4G network

This won't effect the Evo. Maybe the 3rd gen Evo. Verizon did some tiny little test in Boston, but has nothing live anywhere in the country. Even AT&T is going to do the 14.4 mbs HSPA, or whatever, before worrying about LTE.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones