• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To Evo Owners: Would you buy evo today/recommend it?

Would you buy the Evo again or wait for EPic or a different 4G phone?

• Yes- would choose Evo

Votes: 503 90.1%
  • No.. would pick different phone

Votes: 55 9.9%

• Total voters
If you could go back and you had the option to pick a different phone, would you? Aloyt of people debated between the EVO and Epic at the time so that's why I'm wondering. As for me? Absolutely. And I'd do it again and again and again!

A lot of people debated then. And a lot of people still debate it. Clearly both phones have diehard fans, and both phones are nice Android choices.

Personally, I think the Evo is the best choice for an Android phone, even today. And it's not just about the specs of the phone; it's the whole package. Sprint has the best plans/price. HTC and Sprint has proven it supports the Evo heartily with updates. HTC phones have a HUGE homebrew (rooting) community. The Evo plays nice with apps, meaning most apps work better on the Evo than other high-end android phones. This is probably HTC's credit for keeping hardware components consistent and having a well-written kernel.

8 months after launch, I'm still waiting for that next Android phone to come out that makes me feel like, "Damn, I don't have the king phone anymore." But that phone hasn't been released yet. So right now, it's still hard to envision a day where my phone will be obsolete.

Tangentially related: don't count out Windows Phone 7 just yet. It gets great reviews; it just hasn't caught on with consumers. But Microsoft's recent partnership with Nokia is huge. It's going to give WP7 a large audience and therefore instant credibility as a viable smartphone option.

Poor Blackberry (RIM). It has very little going for them these days.

Upvote 0
A lot of people debated then. And a lot of people still debate it. Clearly both phones have diehard fans, and both phones are nice Android choices.

Personally, I think the Evo is the best choice for an Android phone, even today. And it's not just about the specs of the phone; it's the whole package. Sprint has the best plans/price. HTC and Sprint has proven it supports the Evo heartily with updates. HTC phones have a HUGE homebrew (rooting) community. The Evo plays nice with apps, meaning most apps work better on the Evo than other high-end android phones. This is probably HTC's credit for keeping hardware components consistent and having a well-written kernel.

8 months after launch, I'm still waiting for that next Android phone to come out that makes me feel like, "Damn, I don't have the king phone anymore." But that phone hasn't been released yet. So right now, it's still hard to envision a day where my phone will be obsolete.

Tangentially related: don't count out Windows Phone 7 just yet. It gets great reviews; it just hasn't caught on with consumers. But Microsoft's recent partnership with Nokia is huge. It's going to give WP7 a large audience and therefore instant credibility as a viable smartphone option.

Poor Blackberry (RIM). It has very little going for them these days.

Very well put. And the point about another Android phone coming out that made me feel like my EVO was insignificant, I definitely agree with that. I don't go around feeling like, "my phone is the best" because I really like Android OS more-so than the actual phone itself, but it feels great to know that the phone I chose is one of the best in the industry.

As far as Windows Phone 7, I'm not convinced. Microsoft left such a sour taste in my mouth after having 2 Windows Mobile devices that ALWAYS had lag issues and a person had to jump through hoops to find csv files (e.g. apps) that would allow me to do some customization to suit my needs. I understand that Windows Phone 7 is a completely different system, but based on the ads telling me that it'll allow me to use my phone and stop staring at it?...That's strange to me. You'd think that they want people to be so addicted to their phones that they CAN'T stop staring at it...LOL. They use an example in one commercial, where a guy checks a quick message and then gets off the phone to party with a cute girl...Ummm, what dumb a$$ would stay on their phone so long that they ignore a cute girl that they're partying with?...ROFLMAO...That made me laugh. Majority of the time, when I'm locked in looking at my phone, it's because I'm browsing, watching a video, or not doing anything else more important, as I'm sure is the same case for many people. Microsoft would have to do A LOT of convincing for me to go back.

As for Blackberry, I don't feel bad for them at all. They made a TON of money and still continue to make good money. RIM is getting beat by Apple's OS and Android, but for the most part, I think they'll still maintain a good amount of sales with businesses. Even if they eventually go away, much like Nextel eventually got bought by Sprint (and I personally think it's on its death bed), Blackberry RIM has enough experience in the industry that if sales plummet significantly, the technology and brand will be bought out by one of the industry leaders.

Upvote 0

While I have to agree per this post:

Sad day for us.

This is reminding me of the Xbox announcement.

Many of us laughed (me too) and just _knew_ the market would be too smart for that at the time it was announced, in light of MS' DoJ shenanigans and obvious competition from entrenched sources. We shook our heads when the earliest adopters complained about reliability issues.

Microsoft knows how to make a Zune failure and how to make an Xbox happen.

With the announcements rolling in, there's no doubt in my mind that there's more to this deal than meets the eye.

In the Android Lounge, somebody asked what Android could learn from Apple - it's a light thread - and he posted the link to macrumors where he asked what Apple could learn from Android. I was surprised to see how many iPhone owners were equating Android and WP7 features as different than iOS. The market is a fickle thing because consumers are. The iPhone has lost its shine. Windows used to have a stronger share. Nokia didn't build bad hardware.

Adds up to a credible threat to Android to me. Hope I'm wrong.

All this has accomplished is making me for the first time wish that Ballmer stays in power. At least long enough to see another Nokia monkey dance.

I really have to counterpoint it with this:

Phones no-one uses to run operating system no-one likes

But totally on-topic - yep, happy with my Evo, would recommend it to others, or the Evo Shift as an alternative for a different feature mix.

Was looking forward to MWC announcements to hint at what the next Evo might be - no confirmation of the Desire HD 2 rumor from last week of the 2-core Snapdragons coming out soon - so, like others are saying in the Evo 2 features thread, I might just just skip caring about an Evo 2, stick with the Evo, and wait for the Evo 3 - sure to be a 2-core or maybe even a 4-core.

And why would I want a 2-core or 4-core on a phone?

Because it is there.

Upvote 0
I think WP7 has a shot because their current problem isn't that people don't like it; it's because Android and iphones are so mainstream and in your face in the commercials. Not to mention both are proven to work well. Meanwhile, MS has proven to suck with Windows mobile, so some people are staying away from MS without giving WP7 a chance.

The name is stupid. Agreed with someone above that the commercials are stupid. The whole idea that with Wp7 you wouldn't have your head up your... phone is rediculous. You don't make fun of the product you're trying to sell. Let's see. The world suffers from being too engrossed in mobile phones. Therefore I should go buy a mobile phone? The message is contradictory. I'm not sold on the idea that their OS is so magical that I won't ever be engrossed in my phone. Texting takes the same effort. Browsing the web takes the same effort. Playing a game takes the same effort. How will will WP7 get my head out?

But people who look at the OS objectively claim it works really well and is actually worthy of being a competitor to Android and iOS. So now, by partnering with Nokia, end users (of Nokia phones internationally) will be forced to use WP7. And they might receive it favorably based on the existing reviews.

EarlyDude, PM me and let me know what it's like to be a mod.

Upvote 0
I thought the Evo completely outclassed the iphone or any other smartphone in the market. I now think it's terrible. It refuses to type 50% of the time, It refuses to go to the particular text I want 1/3 of the time, I refuses to let me out of an app more often than not. It hangs, it's slow, regular apps force close all the time. Apps I don't want running at all are unning in the background. Who wants this Nova crap anyway? I see someone calling and cannot answer the phone because the slider won't move. The battery life is terrible even when I don't run any apps and specifically decided to get an app killer to make sure I'm not running any apps in the background. All the things that made this phone great are not working right. I had an iphone prior to this and at first thought the Evo was better. The iphone NEVER had so many issues and would immediately resolve the one or two immediately. I haven't even gone on to mention all of the problems I've had with it. Even crappy old phones work better than my Evo. I'm so incredibly disappointed.

Upvote 0
^^^ sorry buddy for your issues..
i 100% think there is something not normal with your evo.

something has happened to it...
bad app?
bad sdcard?
bad software update?
bad hardware failure?
something happened that the EVO can not fix itself.

you can try... the normal things:
battery pull
wipe all cache
factory hard reset
take it in for service
get it replaced.

Upvote 0
EvoDroiduser? There's something seriously wrong with your phone. Try a hard reset and if that doesn't fix things, a trip to a Sprint repair center.

I'm several months in to my Evo ownership and I can happily say that this is easily the best phone and/or PDA I've ever owned. While not perfect, it rates extremely low on the frustration index.

Upvote 0
Had mine since Oct. and no regrets! IMO, this is the most 'complete' smartphone I've ever owned (coming from an instinkt, then Hero). I knew of the battery/power management issues, but I got a Seido battery and no major problems with battery life. Now I'm waiting for my 32 gig card and will use it as much as my ipod classic. Even though Sprint changed the 'premiere' award plan, which relegates me to having to wait almost 2 years to upgrade my phone, this phone will keep me more than happy (that is, if Sprint doesn't screw that up):-D!

Upvote 0
i am so torn between the original evo and the evo shift. i love the size of evo but i love the new processor and speed of the evo shift even more. i doubt ill use the ffc of the evo so thats not a problem. i cant hold out any longer and my choice is so hard. one day im all for the evo next day im determined to get the evo shift. after playing with my sis in laws shift i realized the size is really good and manageable. i have until march 1st to decide. i didnt want to make a thread for this because i used to mod other forums and excessive threads about the same ol' thing is irritating. HELP PLEASE!

Upvote 0
i am so torn between the original evo and the evo shift. i love the size of evo but i love the new processor and speed of the evo shift even more. i doubt ill use the ffc of the evo so thats not a problem. i cant hold out any longer and my choice is so hard. one day im all for the evo next day im determined to get the evo shift. after playing with my sis in laws shift i realized the size is really good and manageable. i have until march 1st to decide. i didnt want to make a thread for this because i used to mod other forums and excessive threads about the same ol' thing is irritating. HELP PLEASE!

Why March 1? If you're talking about the deadline for Sprint Premier "1 year upgrade" change, deadline is March 31.

Upvote 0
Why March 1? If you're talking about the deadline for Sprint Premier "1 year upgrade" change, deadline is March 31.

no thats when i will be able to upgrade. i have to make a decision within 6 days. my friend is nice enough to let me use hers since she is content with her Evo. i think whatever will be announced at google i/o, i can get it in december 2011 when my upgrade rolls around.

Upvote 0
Contrary to what other may think, the Evo Shift is a great device and deserves the "Evo" name it sports. I think the Shift my be a good choice for you. I think the speed is definitely a big plus, and more than likley it will get updated to Gingerbread & Sense 2.0. If your comfortable with the screen-size and would like a keyboard, then go for it.

I on the other hand love my EVO, screen size is a huge deal to me, it makes performing tasks such as browsing, music, typing etc a breeze. Plus I do like and use my front-facing cam and HDMI out.

Upvote 0
Contrary to what other may think, the Evo Shift is a great device and deserves the "Evo" name it sports. I think the Shift my be a good choice for you. I think the speed is definitely a big plus, and more than likley it will get updated to Gingerbread & Sense 2.0. If your comfortable with the screen-size and would like a keyboard, then go for it.

I on the other hand love my EVO, screen size is a huge deal to me, it makes performing tasks such as browsing, music, typing etc a breeze. Plus I do like and use my front-facing cam and HDMI out.

thank you for responding. i love the evo also and have some experience with it. my nieces bf has the G2 and i love it. so when i heard sprint was releasing a device similar to it i was happy with that. i am leaning towards the shift. i am not big on hdmi outlets and all of that but it is a nice addition to a smartphone. also i have a feeling the evo would get gingerbread and sense 2.0 or 2.1 first. i love htc and sense which is why the epic is out of the question. not to knock it but its not for me. my sister has it and it doesnt feel firm. i cant wait until march 1st.

Upvote 0
thank you for responding. i love the evo also and have some experience with it. my nieces bf has the G2 and i love it. so when i heard sprint was releasing a device similar to it i was happy with that. i am leaning towards the shift. i am not big on hdmi outlets and all of that but it is a nice addition to a smartphone. also i have a feeling the evo would get gingerbread and sense 2.0 or 2.1 first. i love htc and sense which is why the epic is out of the question. not to knock it but its not for me. my sister has it and it doesnt feel firm. i cant wait until march 1st.

Quite honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either. My cousin has the EVO shift because he needed the qwerty keyboard for business and he loves it. He had a HTC Mogul and a HTC Touch Pro before it. Even though I had been a diehard qwerty keyboard owner for a long time, the EVO was the first phone I went with that didn't have physical keys for texting and it's convinced me that I'll never need that ever again, especially with swype.

My opinion is that you should go with what would suit your needs the most. If the shift's functionality provides that for you, then that's the one you should go with. Either way you decide, you're not going to be making a "bad" decision per-se. Look at it this way, once you upgrade to either the EVO or the EVO Shift, you still have 30 days to change to the other phone, if the one you choose doesn't work for you.

Upvote 0
After accidentally destroying my phone, best buy's insurance plan gave me an instore voucher for the cost of my original evo. My wife has the epic which is a fantastic phone, but for me the evo was the only phone to replace my broken phone. Fast, large screen, no slide out keyboard, hdmi, kick stand, hot spot. Love this phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones