1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root To Froyo or not?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Toddw, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Toddw

Toddw Newbie

I've rooted my fascinate, tried several different ROMs and kernels. I've got it setup using Super Dark DJ05 with a voodoo kernel. I've done enough backups and restores from different ROMs I feel pretty comfortable with the phone, voodoo, themes, CWM, etc. It's running very fast, 12-16 hr battery, great looking theme. I'm happy with the phone like it is. But, just because it's not EB01, should I risk messing up the setup I've got just to get Froyo or just be happy with being outdated and keeping what I've got? What's the safest way to get from voodoo kernel to EB01, voodoo or not?

Advertisement

2. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Android Expert

If you decide to go just disable voodoo and push a all in one superclean through odin..that's the best way

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Great info/tip. [​IMG]

I'm wondering if you've done that, then done a restore of an old ROM which you backed up when Voodoo was being used.

4. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

i do this all the time....you have to push the all in one....push cwr, flash a voodoo5 kernel, let it convert, go back to red cwr and then restore your backup (and push the newer radio at some point too)

5. Toddw

Toddw Newbie

So what would be the advantages of upgrading to Froyo? Would I be accomplishing anything or is it just the latest thing out?

6. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

jit, flash, updated google apps

7. Toddw

Toddw Newbie

What exactly is jit? I've read that it's supposed to boost performance, am I right?

8. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

essentially yes (just in time compiler)

9. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Android Expert

And chrome to phone..and a sweet desert ;)

10. Nirvalica

Nirvalica Newbie

I thought battery life was a little worse. That's after I wiped battery data, drained it, and fully charged.

11. atomD21

atomD21 Newbie

Just flashed EB01 today and so far, my battery life is comparable, but I've noticed the meter drops in huge chunks, rather than gradually like before. Is that normal, or did something not take?

12. atomD21

atomD21 Newbie

Oh, and just had to say that Nitsuj, you are the man! Always there with some great and correct advice!

13. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

glad to help :)

14. karib

karib Android Enthusiast

Never had to use the all in one (yet), do you loose root when you push that? Just curious cuz you never mention re-rooting...

15. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

you loose root, but if you plan on restoring a backup or flashing a prerooted rom, theres no need

you dont need root for clockwork recovery ;)

16. Toddw

Toddw Newbie

But in order to get the better performance you would need the voodoo kernel, right, in which case you would need to re-root? Am I thinking right?

17. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Android Expert

if your backup was rooted or the rom you are flashing is rooted you dont need to manually root....the kernel can be flashed in cwr....which again does not require root