1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps To release Source or not to release source.

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by antihero, Jul 6, 2011.

?

Should I release the source code to my app?

1. I'd like it for my own Interactive Fiction book.

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. I'd like it for reference only.

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Release it, but under a CC license. (or other Open Source License)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Keep it hidden, keep it safe. Never release the code.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The app / code is too primitive, don't bother.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No opinion either way.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. antihero

antihero Lurker
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    So I've lately been contemplating releasing my app for free including the source code after getting a mediocre-at-best review on the content of my first app.

The app itself is fairly simple and pretty solid. Essentially an interactive fiction app. (Choose your own adventure is trademarked I do believe). The content was praised in only the artwork, but the few choices and shortness of it was criticized. There were also other things that were criticized that were related to the content and not the app itself.

For budget reasons, I've had to make the decision to not get more artwork for the second part (if the reviewer even knew it was part 1 of 4). As for continuing with the content development, I'm really struggling with it as well. With the lack of sales, I keep thinking I might as well refund those who have purchased and abandon the app. Yes, it's only been a little over a month, but things don't seem to be getting better.

I had a thought that if others are interested in my code, that I might release all code for this app for others to use. If I can't make money on it, then maybe someone else can. Let me know if you're interested.

The app itself is here:
    Paid
    Demo

And I'd be releasing the code for the paid version. Any sort of copy protection would be removed as that would be up to you.

Advertisement

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    What promotion have you done?

If it's your first app you could consider opening the code making it free and continue working on it in a very light capacity and use it as a loss leader (something to get you known, get people ready to check out your next app).

Also, month is a TINY amount of time; I'd say hang in there. I'm a big supporter of open source too but would feel guilty trying to advise you on a personal decision like that.

Like someone (AngryHatter, I think) on these forums said, any time you put yourself on stage, you have to be prepared for an audience, and some of them may have opinions that are near worthless :)

For what it's worth, it took me nearly a year and 50+ updates to get a decent following for Listables. (Though I admiteddly suck at promotion).

3. antihero

antihero Lurker
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    I think I just might do that. I'll release it as open source minus the content and accept requests for new features (if others don't wish to do it themselves). I'll be sure to take every suggestion with a grain of salt as you suggest ;)

Might be a few days, But i'll get it done.

4. antihero

antihero Lurker
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    it is done...

https://code.google.com/p/simple-interactive-book/

Any feedback is welcome. A review on pocketgamer gave this app a 5/10. Simply due to the content and not the app itself.

This code has been modified from the one that was reviewed. Simply to remove some unnecessary security code checking... that kind of code is up to anyone else who uses it.

alostpacket likes this.
  5. alostpacket

None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    Thanks for posting this -- I'm going to bookmark and see if I can find some time to dig through the code -- at first glance it looks nice and clean though :)

6. alostpacket

None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    If you dont mind I would like to link to this thread from our development sticky. I think even though this is your first apps, this is great code for beginners to look at :)

7. antihero

antihero Lurker
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    Certainly!