1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

To "reroot" or not to "reroot", that is the question?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by redraider25, Dec 25, 2010.

1. redraider25

redraider25 Newbie

Let me start by wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year......

Here is my question.....Might take me a bit to get to the questions so bear with me. About a week ago I had unroot my hero so I could take it into Sprint because my screen was having some issues. The screen issues included a dead strip at the top of the touch screen and the right and left edges could sometimes be hard to operate. I loaded the latest version of Sense from the HTC website (back to stock) and took the phone in to get serviced. Sprint replaced the screen and back cover (free of charge) and I was all set up to go again.

Now I am running an "unrooted" hero with a new screen and I am not having a single problem. The phone is actually running better than it did when I bought it. One of my main reasons for rooting was to gain better performance. The original phone had severe screen lag and trying to type text or phone numbers was enough to drive me crazy. When I rooted I did notice slight performance increases, however, it was never as good as I wanted. Now, my phone is lightning fast. There is no screen lag, dialing phone numbers is a breeze, and I can even rotate the screen horizontally and the keyboard works great. I have tried the Fresh roms, Zen, CM6, and countless others and ya, I liked the custom look and the fun of "playing" with roms, but it never worked that great for me.

Which leads me to my question. Should I reroot my phone or just live with the same ole, same ole Sense? Could I have made a mistake when I originally rooted which caused a performance issue? Did I change a setting which held back peak performance? I am not a computer pro, I tried to follow directions to the letter, but I am hesitant to go through the process again. Ya, I could root, see what happens, and the revert to original if it does not work as good as it does now, but that is a lot of hassle.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

2. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Simple answer, if your happy with what you have stay with it, if you are not then root again, you can use the Z4Root and root your phone with one click, then download Rom Manager and flash a recovery image, then boot into recovery and make a Nandroid back up of your rooted stock. Then you can play with Roms all you want, I strongly suggest AOSP, it is fast, light and amazing. I must say I have never had the performance I have now with AOSP 9.9.2 Versus the Stock Rom and I mean not even close. So when you are ready and decide to leap back to the dark side let us know and we will walk you through the process and I am sure you will be happy again, it is possible you did something wrong before but that is hard to tell, but I can tell you this I have tried 4 different Roms, I may have had a few issues with those Roms somewhere along the line, but one thing I never had was lag, or performance issues, hopes this helps ;)

3. redraider25

redraider25 Newbie

Well, now that the holidays are over and I actually a few minutes to sit down, I have decided to reroot my phone. Just got it taken care of using the Z4 Root method. I also used Z4 root with 2.31.651.7 which worked just fine. Now I guess I am off to to trial and error world of flashing ROMS.

How far will the rabbit hole go?

4. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Android Expert

Why oh why didn't you take the Blue pill

5. redraider25

redraider25 Newbie

What can I say, I am a gluten for punishment!

Tags: