• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To root or flash or rom or what!?

baneoh

May 22, 2010
So, I have had my Hero for about four months. In that time I have gone through four phones. Slow, bad buttons, dust trapped in the screen, etc, etc. My battery life is horrible, I have extreme lag when placing calls, the reminders on my calendar go off, but then there is nothing in the notification bar, then they go off again ten minutes later. Sometimes this goes on for hours.
So i have decided to root my phone.
I have done a bunch of research, and I think I have come up with the process, but (as a noob) I was hoping you guys could let me know if I am gonna do this right.

First, I am running the .6 version so the first step is to revert back to the .5 version here: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Then I root using the instructions found here: [GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers

Then I install ?????
There seems to be a vast amount of choices of what to run on the phone after it is rooted. OR, when I root my phone, does it just give me root access to 2.1? This is where I am confused. I would love to run Froyo, but is there a stable build that includes HTC sense, without all the garbage that comes with an official Sprint release? Any help here would be appreciated, or if I screwed up any of the steps let me know.

Thanks a lot guys. I just want my battery to last and be able to force roam. Eliminating or reducing lag would be great, but I am not gonna get my hopes up. Since after 4 Hero's, they still denied replacing it with the Evo, I would love to make my Hero compete, or at least work. Once again, apologies for being a noob.

That would be the proper process for you to root with and yes, it will allow you to just run stock with root access. With all the problems you've had, you should try out a senseless aosp rom like Darchdroid or Froyo. Froyo isn't complete yet but is quite stable, rumor is the final release is coming soon. If you are set on using Sense UI, your best bets are Fresh 2.3.3, Nfinites stock rom, or ZenheroFX. The new Zenexp will be out soon and is definitely worth trying, I've played with the beta and it is great.

Reactions: baneoh
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones