1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support To root or not to root, plus other newb questions.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by peter_poiuyt, Aug 25, 2011.

1. peter_poiuyt

peter_poiuyt Newbie
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    desk jockey
    Philippines
    1. Root or not to root Samsung Galaxy SII?

2. it gets hot? what the eff? can i minimize this? i played like 30 mins of that gta knockoff, what's it called? heck even while playing with psx emulator. is this normal? i mean my ps3 gets hot, sure, but its a console. comparing this to my psp, which is also handheld, which doesn't change temperature? suggestions, comments reactions?

3. best video player? i need something that can play dual audio 1080p mkv files with subtitles.

4. best audio player? i'm using mortplayer for now as i group my music by folder. no real issues. its actually good imo. but are there better? suggestions?

5. fun widgets or need to install widgets?

6. games? diablo-esque games that is?

7. other must have apps for an android user, or an SII user?

8. a pdf reader that works? ok the built in is good, except i want the background to be black, the letter/font to be white. that's all.

i'm no tech wizard btw but i have been able to upgrade my psp's custom firmware by myself (official to Custom) back in 2008. other than that, yeah, newbie.

please and thank you.

Advertisement

2. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    Phone getting hot is a known bug in older firmware versions. Update to the latest firmware and this could help. See my sig for a guide.

3. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

1. root - its good, and easy to do on the SGS2. very easy

2. as steslatt mentioned, its an early firmware issue, update a new firmware and ur good

3. i dont know about ur requirements but MX video is supoosed to be one of the best, its wat i use and i love it.. it apparently plays almost anything. mvideoplayer is also good. theyre both free so u can try em out n see if they play wat u want

4. if u want a feature filled player, try poweramp. its great but its too cluttered for me. i love ubermusic, its definitely the best looking player interface out there, its really slick and works well. not many features though.. pretty simple. thats why i like it. and both of these are not free

5. the accuweather weather widget is my fav weather widget. a music widget for ur music player (ubermusic is my current player). a picture frame :D pulse rss reader is one of my fav apps, period.. and its got a great widget. apart from that, it pretty much depends on wat u install :)

6. im not much of a gamer, so i stick to the simple stuff. angry birds, blast monkeys, plants vs zombies, fruit ninja, stuff like that. theyre fun and time killers :D u'd wanna search the market for more games

8. adobe reader? i dont read many pdfs but when i do, adobe works great

4. peter_poiuyt

peter_poiuyt Newbie
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    desk jockey
    Philippines
    er disregard this post. i linked without 15posts and i managed to post again. my bad.

5. peter_poiuyt

peter_poiuyt Newbie
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    desk jockey
    Philippines
    whoa, my post disappeared. anyway, no linking.

er where was i, oh yeah, i'm here 1075278 at the page with a lot of i9100 fws. which one do i install?

i thought its like the psp with only one official fw.

which one is the latest? or is the very bottom one the latest, under frankenstein fw? its confusing help!

edit: willian rom? cynogen? cryonogen? what are these? do i need to underclock, or can i underclock once i root? i mean i only play psx anyway. the more intensive games such as those by gameloft aren't really doing it for me. i'm thinking i can squeeze more battery life by underclocking. but i need enough power to watch 1080p mkv vids.

6. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    Villain, cyanogen and other like that are custom roms. To use these you have to be rooted. I suggest if you have not done anything like this before then you start off with upgrading the standard firmware. The latest at this time is KH3 under the Frankenstein section.
    If you wish to underclock then you can do so when you have rooted, although im not sure how much battery life you would actually gain from it? I'm overclocked and still get good battery life. Also your battery life will improve a when you update your firmware.

7. peter_poiuyt

peter_poiuyt Newbie
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    desk jockey
    Philippines
    which one do i get? package or stock?

what does wipe mean? all files formatted? or all contacts but files intact? what should i backup? should i just remove the sdcard? how do i backup msgs and contacts back to my simcard?

please and thank you.

edit:
    BTW i tried iphone4 and when it scanned for available networks(wifi) IT SHOWED SSID, (not the pass), GATEWAY AND IP ADDRESSES! that's evil. i need that.

is there an app for that or mod or something?

8. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    If you stay stock then you dont need to wipe. Wiping get clears all user data including downloaded apps, contacts, sms, accounts, settings etc. The only thing that it leaves you with are the system apps.

9. peter_poiuyt

peter_poiuyt Newbie
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    desk jockey
    Philippines
    stock it is then. then i install roms right?

where are the roms?

also, if i do root, and something eventually breaks or (hardware etc) whatever, my warranty is void? y? n?

how do i back up msgs and contacts and apps? is there a program for that?

btw if i follow the steps correctly i won't need to wipe will i?

id:com is not turning yellow. cable is fine, i use it to transfer files. suggestions?

do i need to use villain or lightning rom? which is better?

if i use kh3, do i root with CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG6-v4.1-CWM4.zip?

assuming i use lightning, can if i flash it with kh3 again to get rid of the yellow mark and still have the rom(phone is still rooted)?