• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root To Root or Not to Root - That is the Question: LG G2

Philslg

Lurker
May 26, 2016
Phone: LG G2, v. 5.0.2, Verizon

I'm a newbie to Rooting so I am fearful - I see a lot of posts here about Bricked phones which scares the Hell
outta me. I'm just wondering (for a newbie) how likely is it that I could end up with a Bricked phone?

Is it a rare occurrence (if directions followed of course) or is it more common that that?

I appreciate any stories on this - good or bad.

I don't have any experience rooting LG phones but in general, rooting is pretty safe if you know what you are doing and take proper precautions.

The term bricked gets thrown around a lot and I don't think that most people suffer from a true bricked device or a "hard brick" as it's coined. What does happen frequently is flashing incompatible software components that leave the device in a bootloop which is commonly referred to as "soft-brick". I personally don't like the term as the device isn't bricked, it just has no bootable OS at the moment.

This can easily be fixed on most devices by booting into your custom recovery and restoring a working backup of the device. ALWAYS have a working backup of your device and you'll be fine 99% of the time. Alternatively, if they're available, factory images/stock firmware can usually save you in a pinch.

Just follow instructions to the letter. Take your time. Read. Understand. Ask questions if you are confused about something and you should have no problems.

Most likely the only way you will truly brick a device, is by flashing things that are not meant specifically for your model or by somehow overwriting or corrupting the bootloader. In general if you can access the bootloader and/or recovery, you can almost always recover from any mistake.

Once again, before altering anything on the system, the first thing you should do is make a backup in your custom recovery to fall back on should something go wrong.

Reactions: Philslg
Upvote 0
I don't have any experience rooting LG phones but in general, rooting is pretty safe if you know what you are doing and take proper precautions..."

Thanks for the info Brian. I have more confidence in the procedure now. I just got through Factory Resetting my LGG2 (due to excessive battery drain that I could not isolate), and its a lot of work to get things back the way I had them. So far, the battery drain rate is good - back to normal. If I have problems like this or others again (I'm sure I will) I'm going to go ahead with a Root job. thanks, Phil

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones