1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root To Root or not to Root...?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Fawkon, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Fawkon

Fawkon Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2010
    Ok so I bought a Samsung Galaxy a few months ago. Played around with it rooted it etc. I was then in a motorcycle accident and broke it :eek:. Long story short 2 months later insurance gives me a new one. It has Froyo Pre-installed on it unlike the original.

I'm curious to know whether it's worth rooting as from what I've read Froyo makes a big leap in removing the lag (I only ever rooted because of lag, have never installed a custom Rom etc.). Also I'm finding it really difficult to find any info on how to Root a Froyo phone, last time I rooted i used One Click Lag Fix but from what I've read it doesn't work with Froyo.

All the articles at XDA confuse the heck out of me :(. If anyone could do a step by step noob guide I'd highly appreciate it.

Software version: 2.2.1

Advertisement

2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    If you are wondering whether to root or not, it generally means you don't have a real reason to root. Then why are you even considering root?

3. Fawkon

Fawkon Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2010
    Because of Lag? Even in Froyo I have found the Galaxy to be somewhat laggy at points. All is cool, rooted and flashed it with Darky's mod, running like a dream.

4. jim5055

jim5055 Newbie
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

You can upgrade to a new ROM without rooting the phone. ie install CWM capable kernel using ODIN then upgrade using a CWM image.

Only reason to root (for me) is to use titanium backup.

5. virusdunil

virusdunil Member
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    WRECKER DRIVER
    QUEBEC CANADA
    not rooted phone= firmware updates once in a while( in months)...:rolleyes: kies not working/upgrading:mad:

rooted phones ahhhhhhhhhh :cool:...numerous ROMS,KERNELS,THEMES to suit your needs,able to play in file systems,

its as simple as that;)

6. lilien98

lilien98 Member
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    You can root with SuperOneClick (as easy as OCLF has been, has just to be run from your PC) or flashing by ODIN. If you would like a lagfix you have to flash your kernel. This will root your phone anyway. Try Damian

7. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010

You are absolutely correct. For some reason everyone seems to be convinced that you must root your phone to flash. I gave up trying to convince them otherwise.