1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

To Root... Or Not To Root...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by netizenmt, Jan 12, 2013.

1. netizenmt

netizenmt Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 3, 2010
    Technical Support
    Mansfield, OH
    ... that certainly seems to be the question. After reading the various threads here, I end up with more questions than answers. I would appreciate straight answers to the following questions:

1. Is there a working root solution for the Verizon LG Lucid? (as opposed to some other cell provider's LG Lucid version) If so, is that the Binary's root solution?

2. I have read that you cannot remove ANY of the bloat or you get the security warning. I have also seen a list of apps that you CAN remove without getting the security warning. Which is correct?

3. Is there a Return-to-Stock solution for the Verizon version? (Past experience with another smartphone taught me that Verizon is a special pain-in-the-arse when it comes to restoring them to stock.)

I have had quite a bit of experience with rooting in the past - LG Ally, LG Vortex, Sony Ericsson Play, Huwai Ascend and the ill-fated and totally bricked Samsung Gem. Hence my caution before diving in, since there seems to be some confusion in the other threads about what you can or cannot do. Thank you for any Verizon related assistance you can provide.

Advertisement

2. jhcii

jhcii Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    Working my butt off
    Middle Georgia USA
    I had the Ally (my first real smart phone) and loved it before upgrading to the Lucid, just be sure to get the extended battery for the Lucid and you'll be loving it.

3. wiisixtyfour

wiisixtyfour Well-Known Member
    None

Yes there is a rooting method, you can find it here: ***lg lucid ics root***
    Also, I'm fairly certain the phone is Verizon only.
    You can remove those apps listed without getting the security error.

To return to stock you can use this guide: [GUIDE] Unbrick LG Lucid

netizenmt likes this.
  4. netizenmt

netizenmt Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 3, 2010
    Technical Support
    Mansfield, OH
    Thanks. I read each of those Links before posting, but it was unclear to me whether they were applicable to Verizon. After bricking a Gem by using an update from Samsug, I've learned my leasson! :D

5. Hercules

Hercules Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Utah
    Where can I find said list of apps that are safe to remove after rooting. I can't seem to locate them.

6. wiisixtyfour

wiisixtyfour Well-Known Member
    None

7. solidsnake13

solidsnake13 Member
    None

Nov 6, 2012
    Male
    Somewhere else

The instructions there only unroot the phone, there is actually no way to return to full OEM stock. The system will still have evidence that it was rooted. Not sure if Verizon does a thorough check for this, but I know that LG does.

8. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2012
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I'm a bit lost on that comment. Does the .kdz method not replace the entire /system partition back to stock as the .cab method does on the Spectrum? For us, flashing the .cab and wiping /data brings us back to perfect stock status.