1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

To root or not?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rhammer02, Dec 27, 2011.

1. rhammer02

rhammer02 Lurker

I am a newbie to rooting. I have read many posts where people say they love it, it's great, they will never go back, but other than tethering and titanium backup, what do I really have to gain from rooting. I have a Samsung Infuse. I have messed with Linux before and Android is basically Linux. I would like to root if there was really anything to be gained and could be sure that I could unroot if I had too. Thanks for any help or comments!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}

Hello,

Welcome to Android Forum. Rooting is not a necessity, but rather an option. I'm not rooted and I have no intention of rooting either. Less complications and unknown issues. I'm sure others will chime in to tell you how great "rooting" your device would be. Personally, I'm satisfied with my phone just the way it is. There are pros and cons to rooting your Device - I would rather live with the pros of what I have than to be annoyed by the cons I might get from rooting. Plus, rooting your device will void your warranty.

Happy Holidays. ;)

3. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, there are pros and cons to rooting... the main con being, as Rush says, rooting your phone will void the warrantee. Tethering (which we will not go in to on this site, as there are too many providers that only allow Tethering with an additional data plan) and Titanium Backup are not the only reasons to root your phone... you are also able to install custom roms on your phone and get rid of carrier bloatware... basically you are freeing your phone... alowing it to reach it's full potential.

If you want more info on rooting, etc. then you would be best having a check in the sub-forum for your phone (Samsung Infuse 4G - Android Forums) - there is an "All Things Root" section in the sub-forum that should explain everything on how to do it, should you decide to go for it.

Hope you find this place useful and thanks for joining!!