• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help To screen protect or not.

Aristo

Lurker
Dec 8, 2009
Just wondering if anybody got a scratch on their unprotected screen. I'm really careful with my phone, but sometime I have my keys and phone in the same pocket. I've always protected mine, but I have friend who don't and theirs are also scratch free. Opinions?

I previously has a Samsung flip phone, and the cover developed a crack. Replacing the phone was a costly option, so I bought one of the thin film protectors to get me through until I could get my next phone... the outstanding Optimus.

To make a long story short, it worked great. SO with this phone I have gone back to the same maker, BodyGuardz. They currently offer both a wet application version and a dry application version. The web site (www.BodyGuardz.com) has videos for the application process, so you can see how easy or hard it is to apply. Their prices are very reasonable, I think mine was $15 with free shipping until Dec 25.

Previous posters are right that it is not required if you're careful, but I too sometimes get the keys and the phone in the same pocket. I'm sure other vendors products are comparable, this is just the one I have experience with.

I think it is cheap insurance

Reactions: Mountainbiker
Upvote 0
Since this phone has a plastic screen I'd recommend a screen protector.

I had a touch pro WM phone that had a plastic screen... I had some dirt on my fingers and was selecting something on the screen and it scratched it. It sucks living with a scratched screen.

Androids w glass screens... I wouldn't bother unless you are in a construction type environment where the phone would be exposed to a lot of abrasives.

Upvote 0
I have the Optimus S. Since the screen is fiberglass/plastic (it's not real glass) I decided to protect it. I bought an XtremeGuard screen protector from Ebay for $2.49 shipped and it's awesome. I used water to apply it like the instructions say, and after small amounts of water dry 1 or 2 days later, the screen looks identical with the protector on, versus when it had no protector.

Upvote 0
I ordered a skinomi off of amazon for 10.00, it works great. Doesn't peel up on the sides from my silicone case. It's pretty easy to install. Just make sure the skin is completely covered with the fluid they send, and no dust, or lint on the screen. It has a great feel, and also doesn't make the phone look different at all, you can barely see it.

Eric

Upvote 0
I ordered a skinomi off of amazon for 10.00, it works great. Doesn't peel up on the sides from my silicone case. It's pretty easy to install. Just make sure the skin is completely covered with the fluid they send, and no dust, or lint on the screen. It has a great feel, and also doesn't make the phone look different at all, you can barely see it.

Eric
I just installed one as well. It is the best screen protector I have used to date, though i fucxed up and had to peel it off so I kind of messed it up a little bit :(

Upvote 0
i used to work at best buy, and in my honest opinion i would say Zagg Invisishields are the BEST! they have a lifetime warranty too! But i would advise to spend the extra 8 bucks to have them install it, because if not you could be out 30 bucks if u mess it up. but they are military grade screen shields. if you want to see for yourself most best buys will show you a small demo with a phone with one already installed. Great if you put it in your pocket or purse because they protect against key scratches. i highly recommend it! :)

Upvote 0
I have the Optimus S. Since the screen is fiberglass/plastic (it's not real glass) I decided to protect it. I bought an XtremeGuard screen protector from Ebay for $2.49 shipped and it's awesome. I used water to apply it like the instructions say, and after small amounts of water dry 1 or 2 days later, the screen looks identical with the protector on, versus when it had no protector.

I got this one as well, recommend it for $2.49 shipped. Had it for about a month now and so far, looks great. No peeling at the edges, fingers glide over it just fine.

This one doesn't have a cutout for the sensor so it looks better, no problem with function.

Upvote 0
I bought screen protectors on ebay (search for "PREMIUM SCREEN PROTECTOR FOR LG OPTIMUS S " from seller pawavenue if you want to look them up).

The auction said one screen protector but there were two in the delivered package. The protectors have a film on both sides that you remove right before application which kept the protector clean. They don't go all the way to the edge of the screen... there is about an extra 1/16" of space... which gave me a little more lee-way for my installation. This is just a heads up if you prefer your protector to go 100% edge to edge.

The protectors are clear, the adhesive is holding them in place well and I'd say they deal with fingerprints a little better then the stock screen. I've had a screen protector made out of the 3m car bra material (I think Zagg uses that material)... it's very durable and adheres well but it feels a little rubbery. This screen protector isn't like that... it feels as smooth as the original screen.

I'm happy so far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones