• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root To the constant SBF'ers

Would you say it's a huge hassle to get back all of your apps after flashing?? Im just curious to see what methods people use to shortcut their way back to the way they like their phones most.

I would assume tibku would be your best friend here.

But are there people out there who get a kick out of un/reinstalling all the time??

(This not a question of how to backup your data/apps or how to flash)

I just wanna know how people do their thing with the SBF.

Appbrain reinstalls my apps. Most of my settings are stored in the cloud (email, notes, calendars, tasks), or I have individual backups for (SMS Backup/Restore, Launcher Pro has a backup settings option, etc).

I have TiBu but haven't used it for that purpose yet.

Upvote 0
Appbrain reinstalls my apps. Most of my settings are stored in the cloud (email, notes, calendars, tasks), or I have individual backups for (SMS Backup/Restore, Launcher Pro has a backup settings option, etc).

I have TiBu but haven't used it for that purpose yet.

Then you're doing it the hard way ;)
You can restore everything with tibkup easy as 1 2 3. One stop shopping!
Make sure you use the paid version for the restore though.

Upvote 0
Edit; nvm.

Any sort of rituals follow along the SBF??
I constantly take my phones snap on case off and wipe it when I install something new.

I guess I really wanted to see if people had a certain type of OCD with flashing.

Do you usually have anything else open?? Watching a movie or reading the yahoo front page while waiting??:)

Upvote 0
Please enlighten me sir.

its exactly what he and I said
the only thing it touches is /system but if you are downgrading from 2.2->2.1 then you have to wipe /data and cache

The best backup app is TiBu, never has failed me

Also I would advise that everyone keep an extra copy of important apk on their sdcard just in case the market sucks
Like I keep droid x bootstrap, universal androot, rom manager and TiBu

Upvote 0
Edit; nvm.

Any sort of rituals follow along the SBF??
I constantly take my phones snap on case off and wipe it when I install something new.

I guess I really wanted to see if people had a certain type of OCD with flashing.

Do you usually have anything else open?? Watching a movie or reading the yahoo front page while waiting??:)

yeah you can just let it run in the background

Upvote 0
Is there a directory where all the .apk's for the apps I've already downloaded are stored? Can I use Root Explorer to back those up to my sdcard?
/system/app/ - Although I have an inkling that some are stored in other locations for some reason, unless I'm imagining things.

I recommend Root Explorer since it's good and I use it, but I imagine there are plenty of other good file managers that can take advantage of a little root access.

Upvote 0
Flashed the SBF last night actually and used TiBu prior to doing so. And let me tell you. It was so0o easy. It was my first time doing it and i didn't know what to expect so i typed out all the apps i downloaded just in case. man did that take a while.

@typing out all your apps, I did the samething. I've never been so nervous in my life. I couldn't stop staring at my phone

Upvote 0
how do you have something running in the background, when you do SBF?
are you talking the phone background or on your PC?

We were talking about PC. I was asking if they had anything else open besides RSD.

I get extremely paranoid (D13 has probably experienced this from me) and I wanted to joke around about flashing or doing anything else to your phone and seeing if people have certain rituals about what they do.

Whenever I install a new theme or rom.. Or even flash - I constantly wipe my phone to emulate the first day I got it, and then I hold it up in the air with one hand in extreme childish excitement. lulz. :cool:

Upvote 0
Is there a directory where all the .apk's for the apps I've already downloaded are stored? Can I use Root Explorer to back those up to my sdcard?

There are many apps that can do it. Titanium Backup, MyBackup even Astro file manager and there are other that seem to have app backups hidden in their setting. But the three I listed will do it for it for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones