1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support To Update, or not to Update?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by andrewzpsu, Aug 5, 2011.

1. andrewzpsu

andrewzpsu Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    I bought my thunderbolt the day that it came out. I have never received an OTA that I'm aware of and my phone has always run great. It has been getting fantastic battery life, two days per full charge. I'm running build 1.12.605.6, no rooting done.

However, lately I get a message twice a day about this damn OTA. I just either want it to stop harassing me because I'm thrilled with how my phone runs currently. I'm also scared that it will break my 2 day battery per charge.

So pros and cons? And is there any way to stop OTA's without rooting?

Advertisement

2. chavo60

chavo60 Member
    None

Apr 21, 2011
  3. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Male
    Forester
    West edge of the East Texas Piney Woods
    The last OTA update was nothing but a big improvement for the Thunderbolt. If you're running it stock, I'd recommend taking it.

4. jennay22

jennay22 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    VA
    I had my TB running stock too, no updates. My phone was perfect but I also have the extended battery so that's not an issue. I got fed up with the update message popping up everyday so I just accepted the update and crossed my fingers :) I haven't noticed a significant change and my phone seems to be running just as good as before. I am getting great 4G connectivity when I visit my parents and my 3G connection is a little better too. The big thing for me is that my GPS connection time is 1 second from the time I enter the address. I was amazed at how fast it connected. I don't really use Navigation at home, but when I visit my folks in NOVA, I use it to visit friends (they all live outside the beltway :( , a big PITA!). This is my experience with the latest update. In the end, I'm glad I did do it.

5. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert

Jul 22, 2010
    Designer/Drafter
    O-town Florida
    the latest update fixed a few things (mainly 4G connectivity, no reboots (which was the first updates fault) and GPS fix)
    you can always install the latest update, try it out for a while and if you dont like it, flash the stock RUU for the phone. its simple other than the fact that it wipes data and you loos apps, messages,recent calls ect.