1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

TomTom for the Android?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by foxahmed, Nov 16, 2008.

1. sparklehedgehog

None

Sep 16, 2009
    I have CoPilot 8 too and love it, very good value for money. In my vehicles i use tomtom and garmin and yet i still find the hero with copilot 8 great.

Advertisement

2. ptfd9100

ptfd9100 Newbie
    None

Oct 23, 2009
    Fire Chief
    Michigan
    I REALLY like the looks of this, and the principle. Even though I live in a basically rural area, with marginal G3 even I am really a fan of this, real time traffic issues, police locations, safety built in.

Very nice.

:)

3. ysun

ysun Lurker
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Destinator 9 will soon be available in the Android Market for Android phones with wonderful features. Strongly suggest to try it!

4. Graham

Graham Member
    None

Mar 23, 2009
    Australia
  5. godspeedcraig

godspeedcraig Lurker
    None

Oct 22, 2009
    You're right, who needs tom tom... jus make sure you check out the TeleNav software working on the android platform, whether you have an htc or a huawei... it's simply unbelievable, fast re-routing, traffic updates, maps of europe and hundreds of thousands of POI's, and it's all stored on their servers, no phone memory invaded, no need to change your SD Card..

6. alexpnn

alexpnn Lurker
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    HI ,

We are a taxi company Hummingbird Cars in London. We provide Airport Transfer service from all london airports.

We have recently started our new business and we require to buy Car navigation system or Tom Toms . Can anyone suggest which company is the best and where we can get the best deals.

AD link Removed my Moderator

Thank you

Alex

7. chri_stop_her

chri_stop_her Lurker
    None

Oct 22, 2009
    Hi alexpnn, don't know if you want what are usually called "standalone" units, like a tom tom or garmin, as their maps become out-of-date very quickly. If the drivers have so called "smartphones" you can use telenav, you can download it onto your phone, to me it's the best nav system so far, BTW you can have a free trial on each phone. I downloaded it from www.tnclient.com

8. CnA

CnA Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    I agree that processor power is not an issue with the Droid. My old HTC Touch ran TomTom 6 just fine.

9. robfwtx

robfwtx Lurker
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    TeleNav has a couple of major problems when comparing against TomTom. 1) If you have no data connection, you have no maps on TeleNav. 2) Voice Navigation is worthless on TeleNav.

I had TomTom 6 on my Treo 755p. I wanted updated maps without having to purchase every time I turned around so I subscribed to TeleNav. I found the voice directions very helpful on TomTom and very easy to understand. When I tried TeleNav, I couldn't even understand what the person was saying. I wanted to yell speak up but there was no one to yell at.

I thought it was just a problem with the Palm app. Also figured that's why Sprint didn't license it for their SprintNav. However, it's the same crappy voice on the HTC Hero. I suspect Telenav's compression routine for voice is what makes it hard to understand.

Either way, I'd prefer to have TomTom so that I didn't have to worry about not being in range to pickup a good data connection.

10. smilepak

smilepak Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    So what is the latest and greatest alternative to Google Nav?

11. ScottAllyn

ScottAllyn Newbie
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    Florida
    I'm waiting (impatiently) for Navigon's MobileNavigator, which is due to hit the Android platform "soon". I had it on my old iPhone and loved it - 'one of the best purchases that I'd made for that phone. Google Nav, in comparison, is much less polished and I'm not finding it to be all that accurate here in Tampa, FL. I like my Navigation programs to actually get me to my destination, not just within 3 to 5 blocks of it. :D

12. yhbae

yhbae Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    IT
    Toronto, Canada
    I am getting impatient too...

Tried:

CoPilot - Very slow GUI, no POIs in Canada. Looks nice though.
    NDrive - Fast GUI but terrible routing. Does not show the name of the road on the next turn!
    Sygic - Generally unpolished.
    Google Navi - Not available in Canada!
    iGo - Looks like they are not porting the full version to Android - only their "lite" but more friendly version.

Aaarrrggg.

I used to have TomTom7 on WinMo and it is much better than any of the above. I hope Navigon's solution is better but I am already hearing that iPhone's version does not show the name of the road on the next turn, which is unfortunate.

So when is TomTom coming to Android???

13. craigrn16

craigrn16 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why would you need Tom Tom app when the built in Google turn by turn works just fine and is free. Unlike the Tom Tom app on iPhone, which is $99!

14. yhbae

yhbae Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    IT
    Toronto, Canada
    Because I live on the other side of the border... ;)

15. infoman

infoman Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2010

I agree, the built in GPS works fine. The only gottcha is if your in an area with no coverage. Being in an area where there is no service, it will not function until it can establish a data connection in conjunction with a GPS signal. Not a replacement for a full blown Garmin like device, but nice!

16. ScottAllyn

ScottAllyn Newbie
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    Florida
    Google maps has accuracy issues here in Tampa. Several of the addresses that I've navigated to since I started using Google Navigator have been incorrect. Most of the errors have been no more than a few blocks, but that's still a problem. I prefer that my GPS get me TO my destination, not just close to it.

I've actually gone back to using MobileNavigator on my old iPhone, desipte the fact that I no longer have phone service for the thing. It's just currently a better app. I'm sure that Google Nav will eventually catch up with MobileNavigator in terms of features but I dunno about the accuracy issues... my work address has been wrong on Google Maps for months. We have to tell visitors to use MapQuest or Bing instead of GMaps, else they'll end up in a grove of trees. :D

17. craigrn16

craigrn16 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ok good point lol. I've seen some UK navigators in the market no canadian one's yet though. I'm pretty sure there has to be one

18. Fatal Exception

Fatal Exception Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 14, 2010
    How do the android devices work then? Do they store the maps, d/l and cache them or stream on the fly?

19. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    It's not a question of "Android devices" but a question of the specific GPS app you're talking about.

1.) Is an issue for any GPS app that downloads maps -- not just Telenav.
    2.) Maybe on your device. Telenav worked perfectly on my Blackberry 8310. I used it without issues for thousands of miles.

20. yhbae

yhbae Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    IT
    Toronto, Canada
    This is a good point. I generally like Google's product and I'm sure given enough time, Google will become competitive with this product as well. If it is available in Canada, I will probably start to use it. But because it requires data connection when you are planning a route, I would keep a backup GPS app that does not require online data connection.

21. MrNightz

MrNightz Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    university student
    London
    so are there any android navigation apps that only rely on GPS (i think that nokia maps offers that) without the need for data connection (wifi , 3g etc.)? thanks in advance

22. yhbae

yhbae Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    IT
    Toronto, Canada
    Just about all other GPS software on Android does not require online data connection. CoPilot, NDrive and Sygic are all offline GPS software. When TomTom and iGo becomes available, they too will work offline.

23. swimminginthoughts

None

Dec 31, 2009
    I recommend CoPilot. I like it so much I gave the TomTom to the wife!

24. sageman

sageman Lurker
    None

Mar 6, 2010
    I like Destinator 9 for Android. It has a great UI and on-board maps so no need to have a constant data connection. There is even a 14 day free trial!

25. blackvyper

blackvyper Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 27, 2009
    Regensburg, Germany
    iGo MyWay is available.. been using it for weeks alongside CoPilot which I have had since about August 2009.