• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TomTom for the Android?

I owned 2 different models of tom tom and I personally would never buy another product from them again. My first one locked up after a year and wouldnt go past the loading screen.... the 2nd one had a blown speaker out of the box... i dealt with it because it was only bad when you had it turned up... It also would show on the screen to make a right hand turn, but it would out loud "turn left ahead" or vice versa... so after about a year and a half I took it back to bestbuy and showed them and they gladly gave me a full refund :)

tom tom = toy gps
garmin= the real deal gps

Upvote 0
If a person had been using Garmin, Magellan, Tom Tom navigation systems in the U.S.and wanted to purchase the closest comparison in android app, which one ?

CoPilot looked pretty close to my Garmin Nuvi but so many look like they had 2nd class graphics.

I know people will say you get what you pay for with many of the cheaper / FREE apps. I don't have a prob. paying $25 -$50 if I end up with the same basic thing as my Garmin nuvi.

Any proven comparison suggestions ?

Thanks
Jon

Upvote 0
I've been wondering...can I use like lets say, google maps if I wanted to go somewhere and use WiFi instead of my data plan? I don't want to pay for its usage etc..
but the thing is...how do you get WiFi out while driving? I can get it to work if I'm in my dorm with internet or at some hotspot areas. I'm just curious if it'll work while I drive and using WiFi?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm currently using Sygic Mobile Maps 9 on my Samsung Moment. CoPilot does not list the Moment as compatible, nor does Sygic, but Sygic assured me it should work. I had to download appInstaller from the market to install Sygic, but it was a painless install after that.

Sygic is much like TomTom, though less feature rich. It is MUCH better than Sprint Navigation, but not as good as TomTom Navigator on my Palm Treo 755p, from a navigation point of view. It is good enough that I have kept the Moment, instead of returning it, as I would have done if I had not been able to find a GPS app that could work off network and allow multiple waypoints.

Sygic Mobile Maps 10 looks like it has more features, but not enough to justify me spending money to get it. I hope TomTom comes out with an Android app soon, but I am not holding my breath. I know that Garmin is better technically, than TomTom, but I much prefer TomTom's user interface to Garmin or Magellan. Sygic's user interface is much like TomTom's.

Upvote 0
the biggest deal for me is offline navigating.
in a home network no problem being online but in roaming if a MB costs as much as 17.4$ or 11.6€ wouldn't want to use that.
And i think gps navigating is most useful in unfamiliar places like foreign countries where you do have to roam.

I agree. That is one of the reasons I returned my Palm Pre.

With TomTom on my Treo 755p, and Sygic on my Moment, I can go completely off-network and continue to navigate because the maps are on the phone.

One of the things that I consider a step backward with the Moment is that Airplane Mode turns all transmitters off, where with the Palm Treo 755p, I could leave bluetooth on(GPS was a bluetooth dongle) and still have GPS by just pushing and holding the power off button, which killed the phone transmitter, but left the Treo functional. I have not been able to do that with the Moment yet. Airplane mode kills the GPS as well as the Phone transmitter.

One problem that Sygic 9 has with the Moment, is that opening or closing the physical keyboard kills Sygic without saving your last changes. I don't know if Sygic 10 addresses that.

Oh, and for sensesfail99 comment on TomTom being a "toy gps," I find TomTom Navigator to be as fully functional as anything from other GPS manufacturers. I have traveled many thousands of miles using it. It is a huge step above Sprint Navigation, which I feel is only a point to point nav system, vs the fully featured TomTom and Sygic that allow you to build trips with multiple waypoints.

Upvote 0
The question remains ; why are TomTom not releasing an Android version? No guessing please - anyone know the facts?
I've tried CoPilot, and found the GUI to be laggy, and unreliable. I've also tried Navigon, and still feel that my standalone Tomtom is the benchmarks by which GPS software is judged.
I could believe that Tomtom or Teleatlas are non too pleased with Google releasing free sat nav, but as long as you have to download data on the go, I'm not interested in that option, which would mean there is a market for turn by turn pre loaded maps on an Android device.
Nokia have released free turn by turn navigation, and it works very well - especially the online POI database which is constantly being modified/updated, I use it a lot when searching for shops/bars in town. Oh, and please use the darn compass function when designing GPS software for Android, Copilot's compass feature never worked properly, Google maps rotates the cursor - not the map, and Navigon didn't use the compass at all.

Upvote 0
Hi,
Destinator 9 will soon be available in the Android Market for Android phones with wonderful features. Strongly suggest to try it!
I like Destinator 9 for Android. It has a great UI and on-board maps so no need to have a constant data connection. There is even a 14 day free trial!
Having just read the review from PocketGPSWorld I suspect the above two comments are spam posted by the makers employees!
PocketGPSWorld review..

The company doesn't supply maps but lets OEM suppliers and others do so. So whether you get any updates will depend on them!

Des...

Upvote 0
TomTom would be a great addition for the Android. One of the biggest things that I like from TomTom is that it will work in "fring" areas. All of the GPS software that I have found has a network dependency. Not good if you are traveling in remote areas.

Someone earlier posted that they are unsure if the processing power would be sufficient. I had an Iphone 3Gs with TomTom and it worked great. Most of the Androids that I have tested are just as fast as the 3Gs or faster when you compare with the 1 GHz processors that are shipped with the latest models.

Tim Rice
http://truecallinternational.com

Upvote 0
I don't understand why you guys want TomTom for android. TomToms are horrible pieces of crap in my experience. I have a Garmin(still works better than the 2 TomToms I had) in my truck that I never use because my phone gets and holds a signal better and it has satellite maps and smoother animations. Google nav is way better and keeps getting better every update, imo. /rant

Upvote 0
I don't understand why you guys want TomTom for android. TomToms are horrible pieces of crap in my experience. I have a Garmin(still works better than the 2 TomToms I had) in my truck that I never use because my phone gets and holds a signal better and it has satellite maps and smoother animations. Google nav is way better and keeps getting better every update, imo. /rant
Then we have a very different experience...
TomTom has been traditionally the best SatNav software on Windows Mobile and on PND platforms. Compared to that, Garmin needs to come up with a better user interface. Google's Navigation is no substitution for offline packages, especially for people who travel a lot in abroad (data costs roaming).

Now it is pity that TomTom has neglected Android growth and is kind of late in the market. There are more than 10 different SatNav packages to choose from, and the competition is getting tougher. Al

As mentioned above, Sygic's SatNav software is very close to TomTom. They even use the same map sets from Teleatlas. Currently using Sygic Aura and quite satisfied with it. Still, looking forward to see TomTom in the ranks of Android software. :)

Upvote 0
I have it for my old Palm TX and it works really good (though apparently not quite as fast as on the real hardware at the time), there's no reason Android couldn't do it. I paid good money for the software and thought it was worth it. Plus the external puck on top of that.

Garmin isn't bad but missing some of the features that I find really useful on Tomtom and Magellan was just a painful experience.

I guess I'll just go with copilot or look into that Sygic thing. If they're good enough then too bad, Tomtom. Palm dropped the ball and it looks like Tomtom is too. though they have made other braindead decisions in the past.

Upvote 0
Waze is available for free to be used as a GPS for Android. The maps all user generated which means its largely incomplete. But if enough people get together and start building it, waze could be even more powerful then TomTom or Garmin within the year

I have a Tomtom GPS and I don't even use it anymore. I love Waze. I ride around and get warnings from other drivers using Waze, on traffic, speed traps, etc... It is the greatest. Free GPS Navigation with Turn by Turn - Waze

Upvote 0
I tried Sygic, it's very nice. I settled with Navfree, it does the job and is free! Osmand and Locus are also very good, but a little more difficult to set up. Many Copilot fans here too. All do a good job offline, some using TomTom maps and voices. You'd think TomTom would come out with one just to compete, but it's not really needed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones