1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Tons of force closes everytime i flash a clean rom.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by egernant, Mar 3, 2011.

1. egernant

egernant Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    Currently on IncRom but have had some stability and battery issues. I wanted to flash skyraider sense 3.5 but when I do, launcher pro, beautiful widgets and widgetlocker never open, they only force close. I tried them on another fresh Rom and the same thing happened. These were not restores, they were fresh roms.I'm sure my SD card is quite messy after flashing new roms over and over, is that causing these problems? What can I do to fix this?

Advertisement

2. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    What steps are you doing before flashing ROMs? Mainly, are you doing all the wipes (factory, cache and dalvik)?

3. egernant

None

Jun 30, 2010
    I have always used rom manager. At least I think... If I ever didn't use it, I suppose it's possible it didn't get cleared, but I know skyraider was downloaded and flashed through rom manager.

4. kkl1993

kkl1993 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Florida
    download a ROM from ROM Manager, once completed, then do a Nandroid. Once done, wipe everything (wipe cache), even in the ADVANCED (wipe dalvik cache, wipe battery stats) section in clockworkmod recovery.

What I Do:
    1. Download ROM I want.
    2. Once done, DON'T flash with ROM Manager, but go to clockworkmod manually
    3. Nandroid backup
    4. Download the ROM i chose in the clockworkmod folder
    5. Factory Reset
    6. WIPE - cache, dalvik cache, and battery stats
    7. Then FIX PERMISSIONS
    8. Reboot

5. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    Everything kkl said to do is correct, minus the battery stats, it's not a necissity. I've never needed to fix my permissions either and to be honest I don't even know what it does since I've never had to do it. I personally do not use ROM Manager for anything. I uninstall it on every ROM I flash. I d/l all my zips straight to my laptop and transfer then to my SD. I would strongly suggest doing your wipes and then flashing the ROM manually instead of RM and see if that fixes your problem

6. egernant

None

Jun 30, 2010
    Thanks for the help, I tried what you said. Ran a manual factory wipe and then in the advanced directory, I wiped all caches, battery stats and the permissions. When I went to flash SkyRaider 3.5 (buried deep in the clockworkmod folder), I got stuck on the HTC Incredible white boot screen for over an hour. I got impatient and pulled the battery (probably not smart) and ran a recovery to IncRom to ensure I didn't brick my phone. The signature authorization failed, so I toggled that requirement off, and then the restore worked just fine. Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Off topic, but is SkyRaider the best sense rom to flash for stability and battery life? I've been hearing a lot about Incredibly Re-Engineered...

7. kkl1993

kkl1993 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Florida
    No. After a Nandroid backup, factory reset, wipe everything (cache, dalvik cache, battery stats), then FIX PERMISSION, then flash the SkyRaider 3.5 ROM. you will be stuck at the boot up screen for a bit because it will a while to load everything. but if after 5-10 minutes, it does not load, then i dont know what is wrong.

1. Nandroid backup
    2. Factory Reset
    3. Wipe everything (cache, dalvik cache, and battery stats)
    4. Then FIX PERMISSIONS
    5. Flash SkyRaider 3.5 ROM
    6. Reboot
    7. Wait about 5 minutes, then it should load

Dont know about the second question, i just use CM7, best ROM to me

egernant likes this.
  8. egernant

None

Jun 30, 2010
    Yea I would use CM7 but I have grown so used to using the dialer on the phone to dial someone's name using t9. There is no faster way to call people, and having to scroll through contacts is a deal breaker. It shouldn't be that big of a deal, but once you are so used the something like this, it feels like a downgrade.

9. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    IMO, Incredibly Re-Engineered is THE best sense ROM available. It's fast, has a ton of mods and themes, a lot of bloat has been trimmed out and I get great battery life on it and using Lou's #9 kernel. I removed a bunch of apps I don't use and I also flashed the "remove sense zip" because I use Launcher Pro + so my phone flies. Plus the developer, Chingy, is very hands on and will usually make any custom mod if you ask and he has the time

egernant likes this.
  10. kidhudi

kidhudi Member
    None

Jan 14, 2011
    just flashed skyraider myself today. try to download the rom to your computer then mount the sd card and place the rom directly on the root of the sd card and flash it from there. reboot into recovery. perform the factory reset and then delvik wipe ( i never do the battery thing either) then flash the rom ( i skipped the nandroid because i assume you did it successfully in your last failed attempt) and reboot. should work maybe your sd card is screwy

11. egernant

None

Jun 30, 2010
    Ok skyraider still won't boot, but incredibly reengineered is up and running. Now I also use LP+ so I would benefit from some of these anti sense mods. I have never messed with mods at all, when you say this Rom has many, what exactly does that mean I can do? Where do I find these mods and how can I further customize my phone and improve battery life at this point?

EDIT: Never mind, I found the list of mods on theincrediblelist.com, time to get started. Thanks to everyone for helping me out.

12. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    If you go into the IR thread on XDA post's 2 and 3 are full of custom mods that won't break the optimizations Chingy has made to make the ROM as fast as it is. The custom mods range from transparent notification bars, to custom battery icons to different color themes to different lockscreens. Make a backup before flashing anything and make sure you read carefully. Some mods are flashable through recovery and some are Metamorph files you need to install with the Metamorph app from the market. A good way to tell which is which is anything that is named update.randometheme.zip is flashable through recovery. If it doesn't say update. in front of the name of the mod it's a Metamorph file