1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips tons of naive questions?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sciencegirl, Jul 3, 2011.

1. sciencegirl

sciencegirl Lurker
    None

Jul 3, 2011
    OK -first post from a total mod newbie so don't make fun. I just switched to Boost Mobile from Sprint after a 12 year-long abusive relationship with Sprint. My first smartphone was a Palm Pre that I was pretty happy with, no mods ever needed. My second was an HTC Hero which was a complete lemon and never worked. After 9 months of fighting with Sprint I decided to finally leave them because nobody could get that Hero to work. I also never did any mods on that phone. I was a little apprehensive about getting another Android after my experience with the Hero, but since this phone doesn't come with the stupid HTC Sense, the Samsung seems to run a bit smoother. I blame the HTC Sense for the Hero constantly crashing and basically acting possessed all the time.

So far I think I'm pretty happy with the Samsung Galaxy Prevail form Boost. The only problem is there are a few dead areas where I always got signal from Sprint in the past (I was only ever on 3G on Sprint, never 4G). Since they are on the same network, why can't I get the same coverage?

So here are my questions:
    How do I improve my signal on my phone from Boost? I've seen things like shabbymod and rooting but I seriously have no idea what any of that means. Would rooting and/or shabbymod increase my signal? Can somebody please explain this to me like you would explain it to your mom? Do I need to use my computer for this? I have a Mac (10.6.x), but I also have some access to PCs.

I'm a moderate user - check email, social networking, some web searching. No games or streaming video. I just want to be able to use my phone in the same places that I could on Sprint.

Thanks!
    sciencegirl :)

Advertisement

2. Viet1982

Viet1982 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Student
    New Orleans

First and foremost welcome to Boost and especially to the Prevail! :)
    Sorry you had a bad relationship with Sprint in the past but I hope Sprint's cousin, Boost, treats you better. I heard Boost is cheap on their dates though :p

To answer your first question about getting a stronger signal for your phone: Boost just had an update where it included a new modem that supposedly gives you more bars. You may check to see if you have updated already by going to phone info/about phone and scroll down till you see "Baseband"If you updated it should read EE14 or something like that.

Rooting your phone does not affect your phone's reception in anyway, but it does have it's benefits in other ways. You can read more below.*If I have explained any of the following in the wrong way, please feel free to correct me!, I'm learning more about these things each day*

Rooting- This is a very very easy process for the Prevail due to Interdepth's One Click Install program(Look for the stickied thread). You will need access to a computer and a data cable to root your phone. Rooting is the foundation to everything else you want to do with your phone. Such as tethering, installing roms, apps that need root access. So before you can do anything else you will need to root if you want to break free from
    restrictions.

ShabbyMod- Is a custom ROM/Flash that replaces the stock system apps and such. It makes using the Prevail smoother and runs better. It leaves out all the bloat apps that most people don't want on their phones due to internal storage space. For example, on stock you have apps like Hookd, Poynt, Scavanger but if you have ShabbyMod flashed to your phone these apps would not be on your phone.

So you really don't need to root or get ShabbyMod if you're uneasy about doing it. Just go for the update instead. You may opt in for rooting down the road if you're feeling a bit experimental. Also, there is an unroot program too so if you did root and wanted to go back to your stock you may do that too. Whatever you choose to do good luck! IF you need more help with anything don't hesitate to ask! There are lots of knowledgeable people here at Android Forums :D

3. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    Let me expand on that great post by viet.
    Boost does not have roaming, So if your sprint service was using verizon towers in certain places the boost phone is just out of luck there.
    Rooting this phone and removing some of the crapware will improve the phone speed and allow you to do more because just like a computer if the cpu is busy doing x amount of things it will be too busy to do what you want it to do.
    You can root or shabbymod from your mac. You may have to follow few extra instructions though. I believe the mod is written primarily for pc users, as they are the most abundant.

The update he mentions is something the phone does by itself, you only have to give it permission. You should receive a notification that update is available and do you want to go ahead with it.
    Another thing you can do to try and improve signal is update prl. That you would do by going pressing menu going to settings, then about phone system updates, then update prl

4. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    what these guys all said... you should have hacked your hero, i still have mine and its running 2.3.4 thanks to darchstar and cyanogenmod.

as a side note the rom/root is primarily written for windows users because they are the most abundant, some of us with personal computers do run linux ;););)

new optimus likes this.
  5. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    great point still more windows users then linux but they all use pc's lol

I have both linux home server but windows desktop primarily.
    Every time I try to switch to linux something keeps me from going full linux, mainly my own ignorance lol and if I keep a windows machine going I end up using that more.
    Right now my linux desktop is missing a power supply as my linux server power supply gave out.

6. Topken

Topken Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    Yeah what was said in the past. I am happy I rooted my prevail and added Shabbys slim mod to mine. I currently have linux running on my Home Theater PC and it works well on there. I use Windows 7 on my main gaming rig because I cant get wine setup on linux at all to run the correct way. Linux is fine for the HTPC since I am not using it to game on. The HTPC is weaker then my main gaming rig tho.

7. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    also as an added note, dont be so hard on yourself. these forums are here so people can talk and learn, explore and share, etc etc happy hippy crap...

just a little over a year ago i got my first android phone (the htc hero cdma ;) ) and had issues cuz i couldnt figure out how to root it