• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Too Early for Recertified? Questions.

AliLaPointe

Jun 7, 2010
Hey guys,

So I have had a really hard time getting a replacement evo from my local sprint store. It has been a true nightmare, but I will spare you the details. In any case, I contacted another sprint store and the technician was super helpful. He stated that he had some in stock that were labeled "Recertified", but stated that these are in fact new. He said that they are labeled this way because at production, units are set aside for customers who purchase the insurance (assurion) so that if they break their phones, they can just have one of these as a replacement and not have to deal with "new" evo shortage issues. Please drop your .02 on the matter. Is this believable? Im definitely going to check the menu that tells you whether or not the phone is recertified and post results. In the meantime, drop your comments.

Oh yeah, and the title is meant to refer to it being too early to have refurbs. The phone has been out for only a month and 1/2. Is that too short of a time to turn around refurbs?

I went to sprint and got one in two days shipped, however they didn't order me one the first day i got my launch one so it was a big mess. After finding out no one ordered me one 3 weeks later it came in 2 days no more.

My new phone came in a smaller box though. It didn't come with the weird egg carton thing like the original. The phone also came bare. No sd card no battery. I have to say though it is better than my last phone. So even if this isn't 100% brand new it feels 100% better than the one that was.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

So I have had a really hard time getting a replacement evo from my local sprint store. It has been a true nightmare, but I will spare you the details. In any case, I contacted another sprint store and the technician was super helpful. He stated that he had some in stock that were labeled "Recertified", but stated that these are in fact new. He said that they are labeled this way because at production, units are set aside for customers who purchase the insurance (assurion) so that if they break their phones, they can just have one of these as a replacement and not have to deal with "new" evo shortage issues. Please drop your .02 on the matter. Is this believable? Im definitely going to check the menu that tells you whether or not the phone is recertified and post results. In the meantime, drop your comments.

Oh yeah, and the title is meant to refer to it being too early to have refurbs. The phone has been out for only a month and 1/2. Is that too short of a time to turn around refurbs?

Its definitely not too early to have refurbs... With the amount of people returning their phones because of build quality issues, I am sure that there are a good amount of refurbs out there. Personally, I wouldn't trust the technician... recertified = refurbished but I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
So I did the whole ##786# and saw that it was not refurbished. However, I will be returning this unit as well because the LED's under the four buttons are RIDICULOUSLY bright. Any background that's white on the phone looks like its glowing on the bottom. So yeah, it wasn't really a refurb, but im still returning.

Upvote 0
So I did the whole ##786# and saw that it was not refurbished. However, I will be returning this unit as well because the LED's under the four buttons are RIDICULOUSLY bright. Any background that's white on the phone looks like its glowing on the bottom. So yeah, it wasn't really a refurb, but im still returning.

That is the new flash light feature

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones