• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Too Expensive!!!!!!

I took advantage of the Buy One, Get One offer for the Eris--I called them last night and they are sending me a free phone for the wife since I bought one a few weeks ago. However, I'm considering canceling it now that our monthly bill will be 165 bucks!!!!

When we both had our dumbphones, our family plan (just the two of us) was 116 a month, with a 15% employer discount. Now with two smartphones, the rep estimated that our bill will be 165 a month.

And now, as I sit here and look at my bill, I see we are being charged 8 dollars in "taxes, government surcharges, and fees." Okay, I know we don't have much choice in that, but then I look at the line right above it that says we are paying another 8.55 for "Verizon Wireless' and other charges and credits" which is described as "charges to help recover or defray cost of taxes and of governmental taxes and fees imposed on us (Verizon) by the government." Does this mean I'm paying taxes TWICE??? I'm paying my taxes and Verizons taxes???

Am I missing something? For anyone else paying for two lines, is this about what I should be expecting to pay? If not, what do I need to change?

LOLz...you signed the contract and you didnt even know how much you were going to be paying??? That is too funny!!!

Since you don't seem to know how things work, let me try to explain. You don't actually start the contract UNTIL the phone is activated. I'm getting the phone directly from Verizon. Called 611 and went through processing the order for the free second phone. Since I recently switched my own line to the Eris, our most recent bill was a little messed up with all the changes. So when I was finishing up the call, I asked what I should expect the new bill to be ONCE this other Eris is activated. And yes, I think that is a lot of money every month, but I am happy with the service I've gotten from Verizon over the past several years.

What I am really trying to find out is if this seems normal for a two-person family line or if I missed some other plan that I should be on.

Upvote 0
I took advantage of the Buy One, Get One offer for the Eris--I called them last night and they are sending me a free phone for the wife since I bought one a few weeks ago. However, I'm considering canceling it now that our monthly bill will be 165 bucks!!!!

When we both had our dumbphones, our family plan (just the two of us) was 116 a month, with a 15% employer discount. Now with two smartphones, the rep estimated that our bill will be 165 a month.

And now, as I sit here and look at my bill, I see we are being charged 8 dollars in "taxes, government surcharges, and fees." Okay, I know we don't have much choice in that, but then I look at the line right above it that says we are paying another 8.55 for "Verizon Wireless' and other charges and credits" which is described as "charges to help recover or defray cost of taxes and of governmental taxes and fees imposed on us (Verizon) by the government." Does this mean I'm paying taxes TWICE??? I'm paying my taxes and Verizons taxes???

Am I missing something? For anyone else paying for two lines, is this about what I should be expecting to pay? If not, what do I need to change?

Actually you do, who you vote for can change taxes. These are leftovers from the clinton administration.

Upvote 0
That's why I am so happy with Sprint, I have my Hero and wife has what she wants.

$129.99 for two lines and 1500 mins.
Unlimited Nights and Weekends After 7pm
Any Mobile, Any Time (Unlimited mins to any cell phone sprint or other wise)
Unlimited data
Unlimited SMS/MMS
Unlimited navigation
No Roaming Charges for Voice/Text/Data (Basically get the same network foot print as verizion customers)
New phone upgrades every year.

Already a good deal but throw on a corporate discount and it's a great deal. I wanted the droid and was ready to switch to verizon until they told me how much the plans would be I walked out of the store laughing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones