• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Too good to be true

SystemsLock

May 5, 2010
Alright so I'm sure you've all seen the "City ID" app. It comes preinstalled on the phone with a 15-day trial. When that is up, it bugs you about paying for a subscription (a whopping $1.99 a month to tell you where someones area code is). There is no way to remove it... ever... without rooting the phone. I honestly was under the (crazy) belief that somehow Android was different. Apparently no one is safe from evil corporate marketing.

*sigh* The cellphone revolution.

Alright so I'm sure you've all seen the "City ID" app. It comes preinstalled on the phone with a 15-day trial. When that is up, it bugs you about paying for a subscription (a whopping $1.99 a month to tell you where someones area code is). There is no way to remove it... ever... without rooting the phone. I honestly was under the (crazy) belief that somehow Android was different. Apparently no one is safe from evil corporate marketing.

yea the only negative thing about the phone is you cant remove the apps that came pre installed... i have no need for the twitter app, but cant remove it.. i hope there is a way to at least stop cityID from annoying you to purchase it

Upvote 0
OK, not THE answer, but this is good!
1)Make and name a folder on a blank sceen(screen)
2)Add as many of the PROGRAMS to it as you want(only programs work-but, that's what you're talking about)
3)Just drag out programs to the screen. Drag them back in or remove them as you like.
4) If you dont like scrolling down the list in your folder-make another , and another folder untill you are happy.
So, you'll be able to move folders and programs around.............
And, you will not have to go into the main apps screen and scroll...........

Upvote 0
2)Add as many of the PROGRAMS to it as you want(only programs work-but, that's what you're talking about)
3)Just drag out programs to the screen. Drag them back in or remove them as you like.
4) If you dont like scrolling down the list in your folder-make another , and another folder untill you are happy.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish but as far as I understand the op wants to remove the apps from the app drawer so he/she cannot see the apps they do not wish to have. Creating another folder will simply move the app to another folder and create another icon for the same unwanted program. I don't see why someone would want to go into a folder to use apps and bypass the simple scrollable app drawer. I've never even opened the app cityID nor really care to. It don't use resources afaik, the fact that it is there is a minor annoyance at best.

Upvote 0
It's not just city ID, there is a ton of default apps I want to remove.

It's also a matter of principle. I was sold this phone under the idea that it was open source and free to modify. Sure it's just one app now but how long will it be before they take the next step?

As far as I'm concerned I bought the phone thus the phone is mine. The hardware and all the little 0s and 1s are mine. If I feel the need to create, alter, or destroy any part of that then its mine to do (within the extent of copyright restrictions).

How would you feel if you bought a coffee mug from Starbucks but you later find out that your only allowed to use it with Starbucks coffee? I don't understand why something that isn't acceptable in the real world is considered fine and appropriate in the mobile phone industry. It's antitrust if you ask me.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish but as far as I understand the op wants to remove the apps from the app drawer so he/she cannot see the apps they do not wish to have. Creating another folder will simply move the app to another folder and create another icon for the same unwanted program. I don't see why someone would want to go into a folder to use apps and bypass the simple scrollable app drawer. I've never even opened the app cityID nor really care to. It don't use resources afaik, the fact that it is there is a minor annoyance at best.
WELL..............I wouldn't make another icon for the same unwanted program- that is exactly what I am NOT talking about. Why would you want to do that?
If, like OP, you are trying to ignore the unwanted apps, what I proposed is the next best thing to removing them permanently. I thought it was obvious that if I DON'T want to see an app then I DON'T add it to my newly created folder.
So, now DON'T use the universal menu to launch programs.

Hey, I totally agree with OP
I will eventually root, but untill then can't you just be happy whith what we got?

Upvote 0

This is an HTC thing and not Android. My Imagio had it but my Droid did not.

Still wish we could remove it though :(

Upvote 0
This is from cityID support (cequint.com).
The trial expired message should go away and disable City ID after selecting “No” the first time. The one thing to note is that it the “No” button on the touch screen must be selected; otherwise, if you press the End or back key (or a similar action), it functions as a “Remind Me Later” action, which might explain the notification appearing again. The “Remind Me Later” function is set to end after 10 calls, which means City ID will disable itself if neither “No” or “Yes” is selected.

If you are still getting the reminders I would suggest contacting them directly to get it resolved.

Upvote 0

Sorry, I hate to say it: FAIL.

Upvote 0
This is from cityID support (cequint.com).

If you are still getting the reminders I would suggest contacting them directly to get it resolved.

I wasn't aware they went away after the 15 days. Still, the app is irremovable, even with the trial completed. It's really a matter of principle.

I don't suppose they have a support number I could call to complain?

Upvote 0
Yes we are aware their are about 1,000 posts already on the matter.
ditto, in fact the other thread has a much better title of http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/69542-city-id.html instead of the ambiguous dookie that is this thread's title. Like, what's too good to be true? The phone is in fact real, so "it" must not be the phone. You must mean some ideal of yours that phones never have crap pre-installed? Is that the "it" that is too good to be true? FML

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones