1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Too late for an S3?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by leonardotmnt, Jan 17, 2013.

1. leonardotmnt

leonardotmnt Newbie
    None

May 23, 2011
    My wife and I are up for an upgrade with Verizon in February. We both have Incredible 2s right now. Would we be too late to the party to get the s3 this late? We don't really want to go HTC Dna because we feel a little burned that we never got ICS as promised for the dinc2. I like the functionality of the note 2 but it'd be way too big for me. We're trying to keep the price per headset under 200. Is there anything coming out that might be a better option or is the s3 still worth getting and keeping for 18 months even if it's been out almost a year? Thanks!

Advertisement

2. silentwitness

silentwitness Android Expert
    None

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Bombay India
    i think its worth getting the s3 only, its a great phone.

3. wolf_walker

wolf_walker Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    Same here, it will have some staying power still I believe.
    I would not however, pay over $100 on contract for one.
    Preferably less. It was a tuff choice between the S3
    and the Razr Maxx HD for me, but it was just overpriced.
    I'm happy with my choice. Came from an Evo4G.

4. leonardotmnt

leonardotmnt Newbie
    None

May 23, 2011
    Yeah, I saw the maxx hd is an option but I didn't see anything really special about it. I'm not worried about s3 build quality and I think the battery life will be at least as good as what we have now from what I've read. The only other advantage I've seen is the radio but that's not enough to push it over the top for us.

5. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    I came from the Inc2 and I have no regrets. HTC just did not have anything coming out that interested me and the Motorola phones seem too buggy from what I've been reading. There is rumor of a Galaxy S4 coming out later this year but I have not seen any release dates yet.

6. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    For current VZW phones, it more than holds its own. Samsung seems hell bent on supporting it just to show the iPhone up, so I think you'll see updates for another year.

I guess the question is, do you have to have the biggest, baddest tech that is out? If so, the rumors of the S4 or the Moto X are worth waiting for, but be prepared to wait for a while. If not, you could do a lot worse than the best selling Android phone for 2012.

7. badboybubby

badboybubby Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    Personally speaking I'd get a Nexus 4, got the wife one and I prefer it to my s3

8. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    He's on Verizon. No Nexus 4 for him.

9. bearballz

bearballz Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 11, 2010
    Chi-town
    Have to agree with wolf_walker and quickaudi. If you can get the S3 for under a $100.00 you should go for it. But just be aware it's not the most advanced phone out there, especially in a couple of months.

But it's still a great phone and hopefully Samsung will support it well into 2013.:)

10. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    My wife and I upgraded to the S3 on Verizon last month for $49 each. I originally was looking at the DNA, but at $49, it was too good a deal to pass up. I was coming from the Droid Incredible 1, so this was a major upgrade for me. She had a Samsung Fascinate, so it was a decent upgrade for her too.

We both love our S3s! :D

11. leonardotmnt

leonardotmnt Newbie
    None

May 23, 2011
    Awesome. Thanks for the advice guys! I don't really need the latest and greatest. As long as it's reasonably supported I'll be happy. I figured it might be better to get the S3 than something else out more recently that won't even be supported as long and has the same specs or even lower. I hope I can find it reasonably cheap in a month. The cheapest I've seen in the last week is $100 each at Let's Talk. Anyone know where I might be able to get a better deal?

12. wolf_walker

wolf_walker Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    The week after xmass $100 at RadioShack was cheap as I could find it around Santa Barbara, in stock anyway, and nothing but white. SOB's still charged me tax on the full retail price I think lol. Moving from Sprint to Verizon (hello usable data speed!) and from an older phone, it was worth it to me. I'd shoot for $50, that'd be a deal. And buy a good case. The battery life is surprisingly good, I work from home so I'm on wifi mostly, but even when I've been out and about it's help up well on 4G, we seem to have good coverage here. There is an extended battery available I'm sure I'll pick up eventually, damn thing's too thin anyway.