• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Too many contacts...

skiflyer

Dec 17, 2011
Chicago
I came from the DroidX - there I had the option in my contacts to "merge contacts" where I would put multiple accounts for one person together.

Now, I'm noticing that for a small number of my contacts I have multiple entries. I don't know if this is because of the way the DroidX merged them when I used that feature or for some other reason.

Any one have advice on how to merge them in the stock ICS world?

My favorite example is a friend of mine who uses his nickname on facebook, and his real name on Gmail. The entry showed up with the same email (a gmail account), phone number, address and picture. But one has the facebook name and one the gmail name.

Basically I just want to click something so that the contact list realizes this is the same person but I can't seem to find it. I've checked my gmail contacts in my desktop browser and they're not duplicated there so I'm thinking this has something to do with merging different systems (i.e. facebook & gmail), but I have other cases which leave me not completely convinced.

Any help would be appreciated.

I came from the DroidX - there I had the option in my contacts to "merge contacts" where I would put multiple accounts for one person together.

Now, I'm noticing that for a small number of my contacts I have multiple entries. I don't know if this is because of the way the DroidX merged them when I used that feature or for some other reason.

Any one have advice on how to merge them in the stock ICS world?

My favorite example is a friend of mine who uses his nickname on facebook, and his real name on Gmail. The entry showed up with the same email (a gmail account), phone number, address and picture. But one has the facebook name and one the gmail name.

Basically I just want to click something so that the contact list realizes this is the same person but I can't seem to find it. I've checked my gmail contacts in my desktop browser and they're not duplicated there so I'm thinking this has something to do with merging different systems (i.e. facebook & gmail), but I have other cases which leave me not completely convinced.

Any help would be appreciated.
Change your gmail contact name for that person to match whatever nickname they use. They'll automatically merge.

Upvote 0

It takes some time if you have a lot of contacts, but...

1 go to contacts
2 click the picture of one of the accounts you want to merge
3 the contact will popup, click the picture in the popup
4 click the 3 dot menu in the upper right corner
5 click edit
6 it'll take you to the edit page, click the 3 dot menu
7 select join
8 pick the contact you want to join with

This will join the two contacts. It will go back to the edit page, so if you want to join a third contact, repeat from step 6.

Reactions: Zerophi
Upvote 0
It takes some time if you have a lot of contacts, but...

1 go to contacts
2 click the picture of one of the accounts you want to merge
3 the contact will popup, click the picture in the popup
4 click the 3 dot menu in the upper right corner
5 click edit
6 it'll take you to the edit page, click the 3 dot menu
7 select join
8 pick the contact you want to join with

This will join the two contacts. It will go back to the edit page, so if you want to join a third contact, repeat from step 6.

That doesn't work with the FB merge that I uninstalled. You don't get the edit/join. fbsync or something. I uninstalled it after an update spammed the FRAK out of me after installing. I had updates turned off, their update decided to give me the last 20+ updates that I already got on a pc.

Since this is the VGN forum, OP had to have installed some software to enable. skiflyer should clarify.

Upvote 0
That doesn't work with the FB merge that I uninstalled. You don't get the edit/join. fbsync or something. I uninstalled it after an update spammed the FRAK out of me after installing. I had updates turned off, their update decided to give me the last 20+ updates that I already got on a pc.

Since this is the VGN forum, OP had to have installed some software to enable. skiflyer should clarify.

yeah could be... I don't have any facebook stuff installed on my mine so I don't know about what that might change

Upvote 0
Thank you, the second level edit with the join option is exactly what I was looking for.

I didn't install any apps specifically related to contacts that I'm aware of, I think it has more to do with the fact that the Motorola Droid had an app the downloaded contacts then uploaded them to the Verizon Backup, then this phone redownloaded them from there.

That's my guess anyway, I'm not too sure or too concerned as long as I can get the list cleaned up, which now I can.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones